The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to put together a directory

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Hello all,

Quick question for those of you who have done this.

I would like to put together a directory whether it be of businesses,
hotels, etc... and put this info together quickly.

I thought of using a scraper but am having trouble finding one.

Any thoughts on the steps of how to do this.

an example would be a hotel directory with images, description,
reviews, etc...

or real estate listings.

I know there's a way to do this but not sure how.

Thanks,

Joe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You can buy a data list from InfoUSA or ACXIOM and use this as your base. When I had new competitors start-up, they always pulled generic data from these sources.

The other alternative is to outsource the coding of a script the scraps the data. That shouldn't be too expensive.

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
Belonging to a directory is never bad for SEO, since it is considered a backlink. Why not offer businesses or hotels one free year to be listed on your directory, just to get your name out, then they might want to continue paying you since they have a benefit of a backlink.

If you want to do it this way, you might have to do it manually since you'd have to contact each business.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
If you give a bit more detail on your intent, I may be able to suggest some other things and optional ideas. Specifically nationally vs. locally.

Do you have access to the speedway?

I have been meaning to write up a post in there about a model I'm doing anyway, could add to what you were thinking.

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
For instance. Say I have a travel website on Florida travel. It has lots
of content and articles.

I would like to quickly add hotel listings, reviews, etc...
to do just that - gain more listings/advertising revenue eventually, not
to mention keep people on my site instead of sending them elsewhere.

Trying to think of ways to not rely as much on affiliate programs
and generate more ad dollars.

I'd heard this work well for localized business directories where folks
used a scraper (I had one but can't find the darn thing) to pull in listings,
then sell premium space.

Hope that adds detail - thanks for the replies.

JOe

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Oddity Software - Data, Design and Development Services

Yellowpages Scraper - Scrape directory listings from yellowpages.com

YP tos looks something like this, so get acquainted with that before hand. lol

Accordingly, You may view, use, copy, and distribute the Materials found on YELLOWPAGES.COM Web sites for internal, noncommercial, informational purposes only. You are prohibited from data mining, scraping, crawling, or using any process or processes that send automated queries to the YELLOWPAGES.COM Web site. You may not use the YELLOWPAGES.COM Web sites to compile a collection of listings, including a competing listing product or service. You may not use the Site or any Materials for any unsolicited commercial e-mail. Except as authorized in this paragraph, you are not being granted a license under any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right in the Materials or the products, services, processes or technology described therein. All such rights are retained by YELLOWPAGES.COM, its subsidiaries, parent companies, and/or any third party owner of such rights

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Jonlee you must be a member of the warrior forum private area -
I forgot I had access to that and have downloaded it for FREE!!!

Thanks

Joe

lincolnave

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 1, 2009
Hey mtnman,

Thanks for the mention. I have owned ypscraper for a few months now.

I'm also creating a directory creation service.FYI

If anybody has any question please PM me.

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
Maybe I'm a bit ignorant in this area, but wouldn't scraping and subsequently copying the content of other's sites be very bad for SEO? Wouldn't this be counter productive to what you want to do? You'd want to rank highly so webmasters would want to take advantage of that usability by being listed on your site.

Even if you are looking to get revenue elsewhere, other than paid listings in your directory, wouldn't poor SEO hurt your traffic and thus, hurt your revenues anyway?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Maybe I'm a bit ignorant in this area, but wouldn't scraping and subsequently copying the content of other's sites be very bad for SEO? Wouldn't this be counter productive to what you want to do? You'd want to rank highly so webmasters would want to take advantage of that usability by being listed on your site.

Even if you are looking to get revenue elsewhere, other than paid listings in your directory, wouldn't poor SEO hurt your traffic and thus, hurt your revenues anyway?

There is no way to get around having dub content with contact info without it being wrong. If you are making a directory the contact info you are scraping isnt going to bring in traffic. because when you put that info in google maps or whichever will always be first. That contact info is just value, the traffic will come from keywords surrounded by the directories specialized intent.

If i were building a sterling pizza place directory my traffic wouldnt come from

dominoes sterling number

because google maps and directory will bring that up.

It will come from things like:

best pizza shops in sterling

or

sterling pizza shop reviews, where can i get good pizza in sterling....

So it wont matter much.

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
There is no way to get around having dub content with contact info without it being wrong. If you are making a directory the contact info you are scraping isnt going to bring in traffic. because when you put that info in google maps or whichever will always be first. That contact info is just value, the traffic will come from keywords surrounded by the directories specialized intent.

If i were building a sterling pizza place directory my traffic wouldnt come from

dominoes sterling number

because google maps and directory will bring that up.

It will come from things like:

best pizza shops in sterling

or

sterling pizza shop reviews, where can i get good pizza in sterling....

So it wont matter much.

Good point. Thanks for clarifying. :eusa_clap:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
It's possible to out-rank the yellow pages even using their exact content.

If you are focused on a very specific region and topic, and have your site well structured and your internal linking setup properly, you can be (in Google's eyes) a better resource due to your clarity and focus on a smaller topic.

IMHO the yellow pages is where Google sends traffic when it doesn't have anywhere better to recommend.

kbratt100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 23, 2017
Long Island
Belonging to a directory is never bad for SEO, since it is considered a backlink. Why not offer businesses or hotels one free year to be listed on your directory, just to get your name out, then they might want to continue paying you since they have a benefit of a backlink.

If you want to do it this way, you might have to do it manually since you'd have to contact each business.
Hey man you still on long island?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.