The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to punish yourself?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scuderia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Feb 13, 2011
Australia
Howdy, i normally write a to do list consistently every night for the next day. About 1 out of 7 times i don't keep to that list. It isn't because the list is big or overwhelming, its just because i simply don't do it. So its lack of desire or there isn't enough fear to do whats on that list yet.

How do you guys keep to your to do list/plan/schedule. Do you have some method of punishing yourself if you don't keep to that list?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
My method of punishing my self is called "reality". If I don't complete tasks I'm screwed to put it blatantly. I think you need to put yourself in a "do or die" type of mind set.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
It's all about priorities and rewards.

Do you make the list because you really want to or because someone has told you that you are supposed to?

Are the things on the list the things you want to do or the things someone else told you that needed to be done?

Are the things you are doing instead, the things you really want to do?

Rather than punish yourself, try to figure out your core motivations. Also, keep your lists brief and to the point. Make only 2-3 things that HAVE to be done. The rest on the list could be done and are on the list as a reminder. If the get done, great. If they don't get done, great also.

Good luck.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
This is a personality trait. External influences to get an individual to 'work' won't last.

Best regards.

John C.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jun 5, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Scuderia,

I would not think in terms of punishing yourself. But try this. When you add any item to your list ask these questions:

1) What is the benefit to be gained by doing this task? Get real clear about this.
2) What is the cost of not doing this task? Again, make sure you are clear about the cost.
3) If I apply the 80/20 rule, where does this task fit in? (The 80/20 rule says that a majority of our results come from a minority of our actions.) So is this a high results/benefit item or a low results/benefit item?
4) Can I/should I delegate this task to someone else?
5) What other actions are being delayed because of my failure to complete this task?

The idea is to get a clear picture in your mind of the importance of any task.

Once you have your list, rank them in order of importance. Then make it a habit to work on item #1 until it is complete. Then go to item #2.

This is just another way of saying, get your priorities straight and then focus.

If you have not heard the old Earl Nightingale story about Ivy Smith, it is worth listening to.

D

DeletedUser394

So its lack of desire or there isn't enough fear to do whats on that list yet.

How do you guys keep to your to do list/plan/schedule. Do you have some method of punishing yourself if you don't keep to that list?

Two things;

I want it bad enough.

I won't accept anything but my best effort at all times.

Sure I slip up every now and then, but everyone does.

The thing is... if on occasion you can't follow through with your list, who's to say you'll follow through with your 'punishment'.

Scuderia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Feb 13, 2011
Australia
Two things;

I want it bad enough.

I won't accept anything but my best effort at all times.

Sure I slip up every now and then, but everyone does.

The thing is... if on occasion you can't follow through with your list, who's to say you'll follow through with your 'punishment'.

haha good point.

buckwild

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2010
DC area
Scuderia,

I was about to post something similar to what you posted. In short:

Keep your to-do list at a maximum of 6 things. Use a legend to set a priority level

("A" tasks are the most difficult/ time consuming tasks. These can also be the tasks that make you the most $$$$$. "B" tasks have second priority and aren't important as the A tasks. "C" tasks are the least important and least productive tasks on your list. These tasks can be delegated to somebody else while you focus on making more money and being more productive (cleaning your car, manual labor, mowing your lawn.)

Prioritize each A,B,C task in the order you want to complete them (A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, C1)

Not only should you create goals but you need to create "pain points." You are either moving toward your goal or away from pain. Your pain points and your goals have to be strong enough to motivate you.

If you didn't complete your to-do list for that day then add it on the next day, that can be used as a pain point.

Watch this video that explains pain points, motivation and goals
YouTube - ‪NLP Copywriting Day 7‬‏

Also check out Brian Tracy's book called Eat that Frog! 21 Great Ways to stop Procrastinating by Brian Tracy. Its a super easy and quick read, about 100 pages you could finish it in about a day. It's awesome.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
In the end, it all comes down to how bad you want something. For me, not achieving my goal is punishment enough. But that's just me and it's different for everyone. Some need external support or reinforcement. Others have the discipline to be hard enough on themselves to get the job done. Basically I don't think there's an answer to your question that we can provide. Not to be cliche, but it has to come from within yourself.

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Scuderia -

Try this instead.

If you are making lists and NOT DOING what you say you are going to do, you are developing a habit of breaking promises to yourself. Not the best idea.

If you like the idea of making lists I suggest you strive to do LESS.

This may sound counter-intuitive but hear me out.

I am starting with the assumption that you feel that making lists and doing what is on your list will help you achieve your goals.

That is only going to work if you develop the habit of DOING WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO.

So, if you have been working towards 5 items on your to do list, STOP.

Start with a ONE ITEM list.

Seriously.

Every night write ONE ITEM (ONLY) on your To Do list.

Now, here is the kicker: the next day DO THE ONE ITEM ON YOUR LIST.

No exceptions, no excuses. Get it done.

I don't care if your one item is "brush my teeth" or "throw change in my coffee cup."

Repeat this for 21 days.

Then, if you like, increase to 2 items.

No exceptions, no excuses, get them done, every day.

Repeat this for 21 days.

Now after 21 days or 42 days you have retrained yourself and developed a new habit of doing what you say you are going to do.

I also encourage you to never put more than 3 items on your to do list for the next day.

Have fun, and good luck!

J.W. Hagarty

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.