The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Market and Product Launch/Research On Reddit?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Went to post on r/camping about my upcoming product and how am I welcomed?

Some f*cking militant SJW starts harassing me about spamming, lying, and stealing Instagram pictures (hashtag feed on my site).

Apparently he’s contacted Instagram accounts to “sue” me.

Says to have fun with all of the lawsuits coming my way, yet can’t realize that I don’t even have a product to sell yet.

Literally I posted saying I was “looking for a product last year and couldn’t find it, so I’m building it, here’s my website if you’re interested.”

I was on the fence about changing the business name anyway but looks like might have to.

Reddit is such a f*cking sh*thole I’m done. Glad I deleted my personal account months ago.

Free review giveaways? Reddit can get f*cked.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Just take the pictures down, and don't worry about getting sued. Nobody in their rational mind will lose their time with this. There's no gain in it for them.

As for other people who could - like the FTC - they have bigger fish to fry. So relax. You don't even need to change business name. Maybe just edit your post to remove your website link!

Don't sweat the small stuff.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Just take the pictures down, and don't worry about getting sued. Nobody in their rational mind will lose their time with this. There's no gain in it for them.

As for other people who could - like the FTC - they have bigger fish to fry. So relax. You don't even need to change business name. Maybe just edit your post to remove your website link!

Don't sweat the small stuff.
There’s another large brand with the same name making different products. I had already picked the name before I heard of them.

I’m so early in the development that id rather avoid the headache and just change it. Carve out my own name as it could become a problem down the road.

I’m just sick of the drama queen SJWism of Reddit. Ready to just pound pavement and build this thing old school.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Reddit hates all kinds of promotion, whether you pay for it or not. It's a horrible audience for any kind of advertising. I wonder how the owners of the site make money with it because I would never use Reddit Ads for anything.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Reddit hates all kinds of promotion, whether you pay for it or not. It's a horrible audience for any kind of advertising. I wonder how the owners of the site make money with it because I would never use Reddit Ads for anything.
Yeah the guy said I was leeching off of the site and not willing to pay for ads and that’s why I’m not a “legitimate businessman”.

Tried to kindly explain that Reddit ads are a$$ but it’s like talking to a brick wall.

“You’re a leech whose not willing to pay for ads!”

I am willing to pay, but Reddit ads are ineffective and expensive. So I’m using free options first.

“You think we’re idiots! You can’t start a business with NO MONEY.”

I have a little bit of cash to put into this, which is why I’m not wasting it on Reddit ads.

“.....YOUR A LEECH...IM ALERTING THE AUTHORITIES.......RRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!”

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah the guy said I was leeching off of the site and not willing to pay for ads and that’s why I’m not a “legitimate businessman”.

Tried to kindly explain that Reddit ads are a$$ but it’s like talking to a brick wall.

“You’re a leech whose not willing to pay for ads!”

I am willing to pay, but Reddit ads are ineffective and expensive. So I’m using free options first.

“You think we’re idiots! You can’t start a business with NO MONEY.”

I have a little bit of cash to put into this, which is why I’m not wasting it on Reddit ads.

“.....YOUR A LEECH...IM ALERTING THE AUTHORITIES.......RRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!”

Reddit is a leftist cesspool. Therefore, since leftists and SJW's hate capitalism, I would assume they won't take too kindly to advertising or paid promotion.

Don't worry, everyone else hates reddit too. Except for SJW's in their parents basement. Ironically on a laptop, in a home, and on a website that all came from capitalism and entrepreneurship, all possible because of a free market economy.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Other gems from the conversation:

“Only an illegitimate business wouldn’t have their name trademarked.”

“Why would anyone want to buy a low-quality product from someone who treats them like they’re stupid?”

Literally just met me and my brand 10min prior

“Are you going to decide that customer service is an unneeded expense as well?”

Random but ok my guy. Guess he’d rather not have the founder of the company active in the community.

“What about manufacturing the product at all? Surely it’s cheaper and easier to just take people’s money and then delete your website, right?”

The balls of this guy to not take a single look at my website and claim this. I don’t have a single payment form on my site.

I guess emails = money. SMH.

D

DeletedUser0287

Some f*cking militant SJW starts harassing me about spamming, lying, and stealing Instagram pictures (hashtag feed on my site).

Says to have fun with all of the lawsuits coming my way, yet can’t realize that I don’t even have a product to sell yet.

Literally I posted saying I was “looking for a product last year and couldn’t find it, so I’m building it, here’s my website if you’re interested.”

I was on the fence about changing the business name anyway but looks like might have to.

Reddit is such a f*cking sh*thole I’m done. Glad I deleted my personal account months ago.

Yeah, there can be some extreme outliers in Reddit. People don't like being sold to in general. The post looks like a clear promotion though. Try changing the title and make sure to read all subreddit rules? As you experienced though, if you get caught on the wrong side of the argument. Seriously screwed. Backout quick.

I wouldn't say it is a horrible audience for advertising. If you build trust with them and be one with the community it can definitely be good. Yeah, I wonder how they make money too. As, I just get by promoting for free. Although, my subreddits are in a different mentality. They want to get to find out about new brands. If you post a picture and don't say what brand they are from, especially if it looks like a good product, you will get thrashed for "keeping the product to yourself."

Reddit is a leftist cesspool. Therefore, since leftists and SJW's hate capitalism, I would assume they won't take too kindly to advertising or paid promotion.

Don't worry, everyone else hates reddit too. Except for SJW's in their parents basement. Ironically on a laptop, in a home, and on a website that all came from capitalism and entrepreneurship, all possible because of a free market economy.

Goes both ways. Subreddits can have the extremes of any demographic. I actually like reddit because it is 100% authentic traffic. Also hot leads, not cold leads like Facebook or Google Ads.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Last I read, a year ago, they were only making $100M/year while in the top 5 of most visited sites in the US. While everyone else in that bracket were breaking $1B or more.

“Why would anyone want to buy a low-quality product from someone who treats them like they’re stupid?”

Random but ok my guy. Guess he’d rather not have the founder of the company active in the community.

“What about manufacturing the product at all? Surely it’s cheaper and easier to just take people’s money and then delete your website, right?”

The balls of this guy to not take a single look at my website and claim this. I don’t have a single payment form on my site.

Tell them a sob story about how the capitalist pigs are crushing your small business. That will get you on the front page.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Yeah, there can be some extreme outliers in Reddit. People don't like being sold to in general. The post looks like a clear promotion though. Try changing the title and make sure to read all subreddit rules? As you experienced though, if you get caught on the wrong side of the argument. Seriously screwed. Backout quick.

I wouldn't say it is a horrible audience for advertising. If you build trust with them and be one with the community it can definitely be good. Yeah, I wonder how they make money too. As, I just get by promoting for free. Although, my subreddits are in a different mentality. They want to get to find out about new brands. If you post a picture and don't say what brand they are from, especially if it looks like a good product, you will get thrashed for "keeping the product to yourself."

Goes both ways. Subreddits can have the extremes of any demographic. I actually like reddit because it is 100% authentic traffic. Also hot leads, not cold leads like Facebook or Google Ads.
Good points. I'll probably just make a new account for the new name anyway once I figure it out. learned my lesson the hard way.

Like a flood you gotta come in from below, contributing content, building rapport.

In hindsight, I f*cked up. Fool me once, shame on me.

But the guy was an a**hole too.

D

DeletedUser0287

Good points. I'll probably just make a new account for the new name anyway once I figure it out. learned my lesson the hard way.

Like a flood you gotta come in from below, contributing content, building rapport.

In hindsight, I f*cked up. Fool me once, shame on me.

But the guy was an a**hole too.

What was that guys karma? Hopefully he ain’t a regular on that subreddit. Also before I post anything on any community I scope out first. I filter by top posts, all time so you get an idea of what the community likes. Subscribe to the subreddit and read all the comments.

By the end of it you should know what toilet paper they use. Lol joking, but you know what I mean.

Guys like that can take a business down quick especially if a regular.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
What was that guys karma? Hopefully he ain’t a regular on that subreddit. Also before I post anything on any community I scope out first. I filter by top posts, all time so you get an idea of what the community likes. Subscribe to the subreddit and read all the comments.

By the end of it you should know what toilet paper they use. Lol joking, but you know what I mean.

Guys like that can take a business down quick especially if a regular.
Yeah I think I shot myself in the foot on that one. He had 19k karma so I'm guessing pretty regular.

Billions of dollars are made NOT on Reddit. I'll go grab a slice of that instead.

Oh well. Not gonna beat myself up over it. I've still got a lot of product to develop.

Easier to just change the name of the product. There's another brand with the same name and our customer base might overlap.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Maybe you should have posted on Reddit r/camping under the guise of doing an AMA.
That's how I see many business folks do it. E.g:

[AMA] Owner of a camping equipment startup and how I left my $92k job to chase my passion. Ask away!

or

[AMA] Started my camping equipment company in Dallas making $35k a year. Ask away!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Maybe you should have posted on Reddit r/camping under the guise of doing an AMA.
That's how I see many business folks do it. E.g:

[AMA] Owner of a camping equipment startup and how I left my $92k job to chase my passion. Ask away!

or

[AMA] Started my camping equipment company in Dallas making $35k a year. Ask away!
Thanks. That's a good idea. Once I get a good prototype and pictures I'll try that.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
F*ck that guy and keep doing you. While you succeed, he will continue to hate you and anyone like you, but the joke is on him. While you prosper he will still be broke and miserable. He’s a loser, worthless piece of shit who doesn’t deserve a minutiae of your thought. Someone that pathetic couldn’t even manage to phone a lawyer to initiate a lawsuit.

Misery loves company. Don’t feed the troll.

And F*ck reddit. It used to be a cool place for just about anything you were interested in, but in the last decade it’s exponentially become an echo chamber shithole of broke losers whose only hope of survival is UBI and free healthcare because they couldn’t hope to help themselves. These sobbing ingrate losers would have succumbed to their beloved Darwinism just a century ago.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
F*ck that guy and keep doing you. While you succeed, he will continue to hate you and anyone like you, but the joke is on him. While you prosper he will still be broke and miserable. He’s a loser, worthless piece of shit who doesn’t deserve a minutiae of your thought. Someone that pathetic couldn’t even manage to phone a lawyer to initiate a lawsuit.

Misery loves company. Don’t feed the troll.

And F*ck reddit. It used to be a cool place for just about anything you were interested in, but in the last decade it’s exponentially become an echo chamber shithole of broke losers whose only hope of survival is UBI and free healthcare because they couldn’t hope to help themselves. These sobbing ingrate losers would have succumbed to their beloved Darwinism just a century ago.
Shit I didn’t know how much I hated reddit ‘til I read my own post.

Damn. Consider me triggered. :rofl:

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018

Reddit in the last 2 years became a shit-hole for real. As you said, it's full of SJW's. Not to mention feminists lol. You will rarely meet successful people in there.

The only subreddit I could find about money was the r/FIRE one. But I then found out the Fastlane forum and I then realized that FIRE subreddit was bluepill as hell and whenever you mentioned "I want to start a business" you would hear "Starting a business is risky! Invest in stocks instead".

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I dont understand Reddit. Just visited tohave a look.
BUT. Why would some normal individuals visit that page a second time?
Think I m too old.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Well technically they're right.

But yes - Reddit can be annoying.
Well, of course starting a business is riskier than investing into an index fund. But I was talking about the general mindset people have there.
Think I m too old.
For the same reasons people spend hours every day on Facebook and Instagram and 10 other social media networks. Dopamine (novelty) and a sense of "social bonding".

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
The salt in this thread is unreal.

If you all get so upset because you get some flak when you go spamming a subreddit, what are you going to do when you meet a real shark who wants to eat your dinner?

Business isn't for crybabies.

Reddit is great for marketing. But you need to know how to do it right.

Take responsibility.

If your marketing stunt backfires, it's your failure.

It's not le SJW or le libz. Those are just strawmen you've concocted to protect your ego.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

If you all get so upset because you get some flak when you go spamming a subreddit, what are you going to do when you meet a real shark who wants to eat your dinner?

Take responsibility.

It's not le SJW or le libz. Those are just strawmen you've concocted to protect your ego.
The truth is a mix of both of these answers.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

Take responsibility.

You beat me to it.

Basically what OP did would be this forum's equivalent of a driveby #landfill attempt at driving traffic, and he gets upset about it.

"I tried to take advantage of a community I'm not a member of and they didn't like it, they suck!"

D

DeletedUser0287

Take responsibility.

I didn’t want to be the one to say it. Not gonna lie, saw a so called “reputable fastlaner” made a post leveraging his name on Reddit. Of course, outside of this forum his name is worthless. Post got laughed at. A lot of long timers here can’t handle the fact that they pretty much have no weight outside of here. Most longtimers stay here because they want to leverage their name with their shiny badges under their name. Most thrash Reddit here because they can’t handle a market where they don’t have a bias or an edge. It’s the big ego.

In the past on someone’s marketplace Ad, I questioned it because literally every answer were from long timers endorsing the product. Aka every answer was bias. Marketplace seller ended up throwing a crybaby fit because I was the second negative response. Hehe, I’ll let you find that marketplace thread.

I’m gonna get hate for this, but the truth is that Reddit is an excellent and authentic representation of true market conditions without any bias.

If you blame the market, you’re wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
For the same reasons people spend hours every day on Facebook and Instagram and 10 other social media networks. Dopamine (novelty) and a sense of "social bonding".
I strongly disagree here. I use it for learning and very specific purposes.

The fact that there's a subreddit for literally everything means that I can ask a question to an extremely specific audience. There's nowhere else on the net (I can think of) that I can ask Economists questions, talk to biologists, specifically target a message to kitboga fans (a youtuber who makes a living exposing scam artists,) find digital artists that work specifically in Adobe Illustrator.

I'm starting something, and within like... 2 days I was able to find basically all the people I needed with the help of reddit. And we're talking about really niche talents.

To me, Reddit is the furthest thing from a time-wasting site. It's an extremely useful tool, just like other tools.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014

The fact that there's a subreddit for literally everything means that I can ask a question to an extremely specific audience. There's nowhere else on the net (I can think of) that I can ask Economists questions, talk to biologists, specifically target a message to kitboga fans (a youtuber who makes a living exposing scam artists,) find digital artists that work specifically in Adobe Illustrator.

I'm starting something, and within like... 2 days I was able to find basically all the people I needed with the help of reddit. And we're talking about really niche talents.

To me, Reddit is the furthest thing from a time-wasting site. It's an extremely useful tool, just like other tools.
Exactly.

Reddit is such a vast resource, one subreddit can be completely different from another -- that doesn't mean the whole site is worthless. In fact, it's far from it.

I use it when researching different ideas, products, etc. There are few places on the internet where you can find such a level of direct feedback on a large # of extremely specific things.

People love using feedback when buying products in the form of reviews. Reddit is simply a place for feedback on products, ideas, strategies and much more. Reddit is a feedback machine.

Definitely has its shortfalls, but can be a great resource if you can filter out the BS.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I’m glad you guys explained a bit about doing market research on Reddit.. but for the life of me I just don’t get it. It’s always seemed to me like a wasteland of voices all making degenerat comments flavored with inside jokes that only “true” fans could ever understand.

I feel like each subreddit is it’s own echo chamber filled with “experts” on a subject, experts who will immediately crucify anyone new or uninformed with laser sharp wit and satire.

I’ve been told several times to use Reddit as some sort of research but for the life of me (and this may just be my issue) I get sucked down a comment thread into an abyss of bizarre fandom about Wookie coding rules for language impaired manga illustrators who need to reassess their gnome shoe drawing skills with their ex-boyfriend’s cousin’s mother-in-law who dresses in 1950’s..... oh you get my point.

I’ll take a forum any day. I’m sure there are lovely ppl on Reddit but I don’t know where they hang out or how to figure out which ones to trust.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

Don’t feel the need to justify yourself. Some people are crazy. Some people will absolutely hate you for anything you do. Some people will absolutely love you and praise you.

The mistake you made was thinking about that losers opinions for more than a microsecond and continuing on your path.

If you’re going to engage in conversations with people that hate you, the only thing you should do is troll them.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I didn’t want to be the one to say it. Not gonna lie, saw a so called “reputable fastlaner” made a post leveraging his name on Reddit. Of course, outside of this forum his name is worthless. Post got laughed at. A lot of long timers here can’t handle the fact that they pretty much have no weight outside of here. Most longtimers stay here because they want to leverage their name with their shiny badges under their name. Most thrash Reddit here because they can’t handle a market where they don’t have a bias or an edge. It’s the big ego.

In the past on someone’s marketplace Ad, I questioned it because literally every answer were from long timers endorsing the product. Aka every answer was bias. Marketplace seller ended up throwing a crybaby fit because I was the second negative response. Hehe, I’ll let you find that marketplace thread.

I’m gonna get hate for this, but the truth is that Reddit is an excellent and authentic representation of true market conditions without any bias.

If you blame the market, you’re wrong.
This I also saw one fishy thread endorsed by some people I look up to so I didn't comment but one of those had given completely opposite advice to what he was promoting in a post responding to the thread...

I really like the forum and sometimes I speak my mind but I understand when people who are contributors are endoring something even if it smells I shut the F*ck up.
Like maybe I don't see the value but the trained eye can see it.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Take responsibility.

Yep. It's 100% my fault and I accept that, but come on, these are the same people that got an innocent man thrown in prison during the Boston bombing. It's literally a meme now.

You can't ignore the tribalistic hivemind aspect of most subreddits. I know, I was one of them for 7 years and wasted too much time.

You beat me to it.

Basically what OP did would be this forum's equivalent of a driveby #landfill attempt at driving traffic, and he gets upset about it.

"I tried to take advantage of a community I'm not a member of and they didn't like it, they suck!"
Pretty much. I f*cked up and now I have to deal with it.

At least when someone admits they F*ck on on this forum you guys don't call for castration and public execution.

Does anyone know of a really good guide to market on Reddit?

Exactly.

Reddit is such a vast resource, one subreddit can be completely different from another -- that doesn't mean the whole site is worthless. In fact, it's far from it.

I use it when researching different ideas, products, etc. There are few places on the internet where you can find such a level of direct feedback on a large # of extremely specific things.

People love using feedback when buying products in the form of reviews. Reddit is simply a place for feedback on products, ideas, strategies and much more. Reddit is a feedback machine.

Definitely has its shortfalls, but can be a great resource if you can filter out the BS.
There's a ton of great people on Reddit. It's unfortunate that all the shitty people migrate there too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.