The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to improve your concentration 5 or 10 minutes at a time

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've struggled with lack of concentration ability all my life. A few times a year, I can get into a zone where I'll concentrate for several hours at a time. Those episodes are amazing. They're addictive, and they left me wanting more.

They are also quite difficult for me to achieve. Chasing them has left me frustrated to the point that I beat up on myself internally when I'm not in the zone, which is most of the time.

Well, what if I didn't need to concentrate more than a few minutes at a time to meet my goals?

The speaker in this Ted Talk says that is exactly what he does. He'd struggled with lack of focus until his sophomore year in college when he decided to put his 5-10 minute bursts of activity to use instead of deriding himself over how short they were. As a result, he changed his GPA from C's to A's. He went on to become a billionaire hedge fund manager, speaker, artist (featured on the cover of several big-deal art magazines), professor at UCSB, Guinness Book recordholder, etc etc etc, using 5 to 10 minute bursts of activity.

The big idea in his Ted Talk is that we should 'go with what works for us.' Use it to its full advantage. Maybe you're the type of person that, with persistence and the proper environment, you can concentrate for hours on end. If so, wonderful. Use that. If you're not, though, use what you have. Forget people who tell you to do what works for them but will never work for you.

I've been doing this for a bit now, and its changing my life.

Worth 20 minutes of your time:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQMbvJNRpLE

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks for sharing. I like this--yet at the same time it doesn't feel I could do that. I can focus for 5 min, but I can't stick to focusing for 5 min every day. I drop the ball at the part of creating the habit. I think that's more discipline-related which he doesn't address much (except for the part where he talks about making the decision to take that first step every time).

Argie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing this, just saw the video, will apply it. Thanks again. Merry Christmas

Mball

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 11, 2019
I've struggled with lack of concentration ability all my life. A few times a year, I can get into a zone where I'll concentrate for several hours at a time. Those episodes are amazing. They're addictive, and they left me wanting more.

They are also quite difficult for me to achieve. Chasing them has left me frustrated to the point that I beat up on myself internally when I'm not in the zone, which is most of the time.

Well, what if I didn't need to concentrate more than a few minutes at a time to meet my goals?

The speaker in this Ted Talk says that is exactly what he does. He'd struggled with lack of focus until his sophomore year in college when he decided to put his 5-10 minute bursts of activity to use instead of deriding himself over how short they were. As a result, he changed his GPA from C's to A's. He went on to become a billionaire hedge fund manager, speaker, artist (featured on the cover of several big-deal art magazines), professor at UCSB, Guinness Book recordholder, etc etc etc, using 5 to 10 minute bursts of activity.

The big idea in his Ted Talk is that we should 'go with what works for us.' Use it to its full advantage. Maybe you're the type of person that, with persistence and the proper environment, you can concentrate for hours on end. If so, wonderful. Use that. If you're not, though, use what you have. Forget people who tell you to do what works for them but will never work for you.

I've been doing this for a bit now, and its changing my life.

Worth 20 minutes of your time:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQMbvJNRpLE
Thanks for sharing. I too struggle with focusing for long periods of time. Every once every few months I can get in a zone for a few hours but then the next day back to the same. I will definitely try this out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for sharing. I like this--yet at the same time it doesn't feel I could do that. I can focus for 5 min, but I can't stick to focusing for 5 min every day. I drop the ball at the part of creating the habit. I think that's more discipline-related which he doesn't address much (except for the part where he talks about making the decision to take that first step every time).
yeah it does leave me wondering what else he did to achieve his success. Clearly, he has drive. and some discipline.

what it leaves me thinking is: Ok, that's worked for him. What am I still missing about how I'm made that would work for me. I've forever tried to be someone I'm not, in everything I do. That doesn't work. It just leaves me frustrated.
Thanks for sharing. I too struggle with focusing for long periods of time. Every once every few months I can get in a zone for a few hours but then the next day back to the same. I will definitely try this out.
the main thing i've taken from this is to be gentle on yourself, and then, gradually, figure out what works for you, ignoring just about everyone's advice on the subject.

lucasb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jun 5, 2018
10 minutes doing something difficult is enough to shoot dopamine. And each 10-minute tiron clearly tells us where we have to dedicate the next 10, and so ad infinutum.

Great approach to make the brain go to the difficult and productive at all times. In short, only that we need to move forward

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.