The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Get Rich ASAP And Raise Millions For Your Idea

Idea threads

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
...sorry, you have come to the wrong thread if you look for content answering questions from the headline :rofl:

But:

Please take 1 minute to read this and realize what PROCESS really means, I love this text...

10,000 hours

In practicing a skill in the initial stages, something happens neurologically to the brain that is important for you to understand. When you start something new, a large number of neurons in the frontal cortex (the higher, more conscious command area of the brain) are recruited and become active, helping you in the learning process. The brain has to deal with a large amount of new information, and this would be stressful and overwhelming if only a limited part of the brain were used to handle it. The frontal cortex even expands in size in this initial phase, as we focus hard on the task. But once something is repeated often enough, it becomes hardwired and automatic, and the neural pathways for this skill are delegated to other parts of the brain, farther down the cortex. Those neurons in the frontal cortex that we needed in the initial stages are now freed up to help in learning something else, and the area goes back to its normal size.

In the end, an entire network of neurons is developed to remember this single task, which accounts for the fact that we can still ride a bicycle years after we first learned how to do so. If we were to take a look at the frontal cortex of those who have mastered something through repetition, it would be remarkably still and inactive as they performed the skill. All of their brain activity is occurring in areas that are lower down and require much less conscious control.

This process of hardwiring cannot occur if you are constantly distracted, moving from one task to another. In such a case, the neural pathways dedicated to this skill never get established; what you learn is too tenuous to remain rooted in the brain. It is better to dedicate two or three hours of intense focus to a skill than to spend eight hours of diffused concentration on it. You want to be as immediately present to what you are doing as possible.

Once an action becomes automatic, you now have the mental space to observe yourself as you practice. You must use this distance to take note of your weaknesses or flaws that need correction—to analyze yourself. It helps also to gain as much feedback as possible from others, to have standards against which you can measure your progress so that you are aware of how far you have to go. People who do not practice and learn new skills never gain a proper sense of proportion or self-criticism. They think they can achieve anything without effort and have little contact with reality. Trying something over and over again grounds you in reality, making you deeply aware of your inadequacies and of what you can accomplish with more work and effort.

If you take this far enough, you will naturally enter the cycle of accelerated returns: As you learn and gain skills you can begin to vary what you do, finding nuances that you can develop in the work, so that it becomes more interesting. As elements become more automatic your mind is not exhausted by the effort and you can practice harder, which in turn brings greater skill and more pleasure. You can look for challenges, new areas to conquer, keeping your interest at a high level. As the cycle accelerates, you can reach a point where your mind is totally absorbed in the practice, entering a kind of flow in which everything else is blocked out. You become one with the tool or instrument or thing you are studying. Your skill is not something that can be put into words; it is embedded in your body and nervous system—it becomes tacit knowledge. Learning any kind of skill deeply prepares you for mastery. The sensation of flow and of being a part of the instrument is a precursor to the great pleasures that mastery can bring.

In essence, when you practice and develop any skill you transform yourself in the process. You reveal to yourself new capabilities that were previously latent, that are exposed as you progress. You develop emotionally. Your sense of pleasure becomes redefined. What offers immediate pleasure comes to seem like a distraction, an empty entertainment to help pass the time. Real pleasure comes from overcoming challenges, feeling confidence in your abilities, gaining fluency in skills, and experiencing the power this brings. You develop patience. Boredom no longer signals the need for distraction, but rather the need for new challenges to conquer.

Although it might seem that the time necessary to master the requisite skills and attain a level of expertise would depend on the field and your own talent level, those who have researched the subject repeatedly come up with the number of 10,000 hours. This seems to be the amount of quality practice time that is needed for someone to reach a high level of skill and it applies to composers, chess players, writers, and athletes, among others. This number has an almost magical or mystical resonance to it. It means that so much practice time—no matter the person or the field—leads to a qualitative change in the human brain. The mind has learned to organize and structure large amounts of information. With all of this tacit knowledge, it can now become creative and playful with it. Although the number of hours might seem high, it generally adds up to seven to ten years of sustained, solid practice—roughly the period of a traditional apprenticeship. In other words, concentrated practice over time cannot fail but produce results.

Source: Robert Greene - Mastery

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
This process of hardwiring cannot occur if you are constantly distracted, moving from one task to another. In such a case, the neural pathways dedicated to this skill never get established; what you learn is too tenuous to remain rooted in the brain. It is better to dedicate two or three hours of intense focus to a skill than to spend eight hours of diffused concentration on it. You want to be as immediately present to what you are doing as possible.
This is by far my biggest problem. Right now the open tabs on my computer are "Codecademy: Learn HTML and CSS", "How to get rich ASAP - your thread", "Free male monologues for actors (WTF I'm not even an actor... but 5 minutes ago I was like YA KNOW WHAT! I WANT TO ACT IN A COMMERCIAL!)", "Where Bangladesh is Located (I read another thread about an importer)" and "justinguitar.com".

When it comes to business ideas - forget it.. I must come up with five cool products or website idea's every day (if not every hour).. I'll be halfway through doing market research or learning a skill (such as how to import pocket knives from China) when I get a new song idea, and I whip out my acoustic and get to writing a new future smash hit.

I'm all over the friggen' place. Granted - I'm also lucky that I was born with a balls-to-the-walls, go-get-it attitude and have made decent progress here and there.. But I can only imagine where I would be if I could focus on one thing.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Feel free to spit out your ideas so others can take advantage of them if you don't want to/aren't able to :)

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Thanks for the passage. I’m always interested with all the processes of learning and action in humans.

There is a really good book I read about a year or so ago, The Talent Code By Daniel Coyle.

In the book the author explains brain fibers called Myelin. Myelin is a fiber that strengthens neural pathways. When you first learn how to do something a neural pathway is used to fire synapses. The more you do that certain thing you learned, the more myelin fibers are built insulating that neural pathway. Dedicated practice is akin to upgrading from dial-up speeds to T3 internet speeds. When you learn & practice myelin fiber is built causing your synapses to fire faster and with greater ease.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
This is by far my biggest problem. Right now the open tabs on my computer are "Codecademy: Learn HTML and CSS", "How to get rich ASAP - your thread", "Free male monologues for actors (WTF I'm not even an actor... but 5 minutes ago I was like YA KNOW WHAT! I WANT TO ACT IN A COMMERCIAL!)", "Where Bangladesh is Located (I read another thread about an importer)" and "justinguitar.com".

When it comes to business ideas - forget it.. I must come up with five cool products or website idea's every day (if not every hour).. I'll be halfway through doing market research or learning a skill (such as how to import pocket knives from China) when I get a new song idea, and I whip out my acoustic and get to writing a new future smash hit.

I'm all over the friggen' place. Granted - I'm also lucky that I was born with a balls-to-the-walls, go-get-it attitude and have made decent progress here and there.. But I can only imagine where I would be if I could focus on one thing.

I had that one for years, too!

One thing I can recommend you to try:

Try doing things like working things with your hands for example garden work or any other "hard" work.

Some years ago I got inspired by Forrest Gump and just started walking around cities and nature.

It was unbelieveable to me how focused I was when walking.

When I play Basketball, walk around, play pool and do some per se stupid work like doing the dished, thing in the house etc. I have no need to "stay off facebook" - I am too tired for this shit, so no need to follow some of those "how to focus - not to procastrinate" blogposts...

Einstein played the violin a lot, Mozart was insanely into pool billard and any other gambling stuff.

Get your body moving and exhausted, that way you will feel you only have so many energy left.

And this remaining energy could go to watching some funny youtube clips or doing business.

People complain not having enough time etc. but most don't realize sometimes focusing a huge pack of energy 2 hours long is way more effective than sitting 15 hours a day in front of a screen and telling yourself how busy you are.

That's the difference why we read those stories where somebody build a biz while flipping burgers and having 2 kids, but 9 out 10 people accomplish nothing because of 10+ hours of what's app etc. and complaining "man I want to have a big business and I got those 1000 ideas and only one thing I need is x€ funding"

Crazy story: My mother was like totaly NUTS lots of years, like depressive etc. Then she started working with old and sick people and was suddenly another person. Next she started painting those beautiful pictures in her free time and I was so proud of her. 2 years ago she quit her job, then she stopped painting and many other things that made her such a "new" character. Now she is one step of a clinic...having those 15 hours a day thining about life after death and shit will destroy you.

People say things like "oh the worst things you can do to yourself is smoking cigarettes, eating carbs, having a job" etc....I disagree...the biggest killers are fear and not doing ANYTHING.

Get moving, get out of your own way mentally.

"When you have a hard moment sometimes the best thing you can do is to bake a cake" (from some colin farrell movie...)

Try it and come back here and tell us what helped you so you can improve maybe somebody else :thumbsup:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.