The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get my product in BestBuy, GameStop, RadioShack etc?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Cisco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2013
Hey guys, first post here, but I have been reading the forums for the last several months, and have found it extremely valuable.

My background is in ecom, but I have wanted to do something bigger and less time consuming for a while now. Recently that opportunity presented itself to me in the form of a partnership with a friend who owns a Chinese factory that produces Android gaming tablets. (Think Tablet with built-in gaming controller).

Our product is 100% original (no knock offs) and looks pretty damn sexy too. The specs are top notch and we can offer very competitive pricing.

My goal is to get this product into stores like BestBuy GameStop etc, but NOT under our brand, we simply want to work as the OEM for these companies and allow them to release it under their own product line.

So, my question is:

How do I go about doing this? I figured I would just call and email them, then send samples if they are interested, but how can I make sure I am even reaching the correct person to begin with?

If there are any “insiders†on this forum that work or have worked for any of these companies, I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Peace!
Cisco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

youronlinestuff

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 27, 2013
London
you will probably have to pester them with psycho like intensity, they prob get people trying to pitch stuff all the time so you will prob have to be persistant. how the decision making is structured, research who you need to talk to and then who you need to talk to to talk to them and so on...

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I hope you will update this thread once you have found more information on this process.

If I find it before you do you will have to be on the Inside to see it. Thanks for posting though. In a few weeks I will be looking to cross this bridge. Whoo hooo!

Hey guys, first post here, but I have been reading the forums for the last several months, and have found it extremely valuable.

My background is in ecom, but I have wanted to do something bigger and less time consuming for a while now. Recently that opportunity presented itself to me in the form of a partnership with a friend who owns a Chinese factory that produces Android gaming tablets. (Think Tablet with built-in gaming controller).

Our product is 100% original (no knock offs) and looks pretty damn sexy too. The specs are top notch and we can offer very competitive pricing.

My goal is to get this product into stores like BestBuy GameStop etc, but NOT under our brand, we simply want to work as the OEM for these companies and allow them to release it under their own product line.

So, my question is:

How do I go about doing this? I figured I would just call and email them, then send samples if they are interested, but how can I make sure I am even reaching the correct person to begin with?

If there are any “INSIDERS” on this forum that work or have worked for any of these companies, I would really appreciate some feedback.

Peace!
Cisco

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
People spend a lifetime in pursuit of the answer to your question. Much like a baseball player, you have to demonstrate success in the minor leagues before anyone in the major leagues will consider starting you.

Cisco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2013
People spend a lifetime in pursuit of the answer to your question. Much like a baseball player, you have to demonstrate success in the minor leagues before anyone in the major leagues will consider starting you.

Makes clear sense and reaffirms my original supposition- mainly that, I think I might be shooting for too far on the first swing.

Nonetheless, I am going to swing... I do not see too many other options right now... If it does not work I guess I will be forced to re-think and re-approach it from a new angle. At the very least it will be a good learning experience, at the best it may land me a deal.

“Vigilante”, I know exactly what you are saying, as this is kind of what I suspected/knew in the back of my mind. The funny part is, that your reply basically leaves me no room for anything but "make some action"! Which is understood. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that I already have the answer to my questions.

Anyhow, thanks to all the replies thus far. I will update the thread if/WHEN... (not to jinx myself) anything meaningful arises. I am not sure when I will update this thread, and I apologize in advance if I seem like I am here only to take. That is not the case. I just rather do something meaningful first, then share when the time comes. So please take no offense if I do not participate as much as other members- I do value everybody’s contributions, and hope we can all bounce thoughts from each other in a beneficial way when the time is right.

Cheers!
Cisco

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Cisco. Please post the highlights from what you learn from the video series in this thread. Would be interested in your view if you find any information actionable or not. Thanks!

Cisco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2013
Cisco. Please post the highlights from what you learn from the video series in this thread. Would be interested in your view if you find any information actionable or not. Thanks!

Sure thing. Will keep you guys updated. Just so we are clear though, I have only signed up for the free video course, she is also selling a course that I may or may not purchase depending on how relevant/actionable I find the free material to be.

However, her course is based on getting your own product to retail, which is not exactly what I want to do. I would like be the manufacturer for one of these retail chains and they can release the product under their own brand.

Nonetheless, I am sure her information will be useful as it is still similar enough to what I am trying to do.

On a side note, our products are already being sold (and re-branded by our clients) in Russia, Peru, Argentina and several other countries. But this is all my partners doing, I have no experience in B2B (I am a B2C guy). He wanted to partner with me so I could help him get into the USA/Canada market. And that is what I am expected to do.

Cisco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2013
EastWind, We do not do B2C. Currently we are selling around 10,000 to 15,000 units per month, mainly to Russia.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I signed up for RetailMBA a month ago. It's been a huge help. The free videos do not give you enough info. The Full course is worth it's weight in Gold. Plus you get access to her daily conference calls, facebook and LinkedIn groups, as well as her personal emails. Definitely worth it if your serious.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
How much is it Sal? Maybe I should put something like that together.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Here ya go Dave. I think you can definitely put something like this together.

Option 1: Retail MBA Training Program
$997.00
Includes Physical Retail MBA Program Shipped to Your Home, Immediate Access to the Online Portion of Retail MBA AND a Monthly Q&A call with Karen Waksman! Physical Program Includes 10 Instructional DVD’s, 5 Books, a Binder, Carrying Case.
Visa Mastercard American Express Paypal
Option 2: Retail MBA ONLINE PROGRAM ONLY (LIMITED TIME)
$497.00
Immediate Access to the Online Portion of the Retail MBA Program! Does NOT include physical course or monthly Q&A calls. However, all information and bonuses are in the Online Portion of Retail MBA! One chain store order can pay for this 100X over!
Visa Mastercard American Express Paypal
Option 3: Retail MBA Training Program - 3 Month Payment Plan
$367.00
Includes Physical Retail MBA Program Shipped to Your Home, Immediate Access to the Online Portion of Retail MBA AND a Monthly Q&A call with Karen Waksman! Physical Program Includes 10 Instructional DVD’s, 5 Books, a Binder, Carrying Case.
Visa Mastercard American Express

Here's the link:

Product Companies, Entrepreneurs, Manufacturer's, Inventors or Anyone With a Cool Product...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There's a group of former buyers for Best Buy and Wal-Mart that do coaching seminars and stuff like that. I think they are called Retail Masters. Some day when things slow down for me elsewhere it would be fun to do this. I would probably want to do it on a smaller scale and see products all the way through to volition. Cool program though and I am very glad it is working for you. Your testimonial on the value of her program should be worthwhile to other people wanting similar information!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
There's a group of former buyers for Best Buy and Wal-Mart that do coaching seminars and stuff like that. I think they are called Retail Masters. Some day when things slow down for me elsewhere it would be fun to do this. I would probably want to do it on a smaller scale and see products all the way through to volition. Cool program though and I am very glad it is working for you. Your testimonial on the value of her program should be worthwhile to other people wanting similar information!

I'm almost finished with the program. I'll let you know exactly what I think of it when I'm done and have tested her methods. I've been taking very detailed notes. Next time we meet, I'll bring the notebook with me.

PSDSH

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 4, 2013
North Texas
I'm almost finished with the program. I'll let you know exactly what I think of it when I'm done and have tested her methods. I've been taking very detailed notes. Next time we meet, I'll bring the notebook with me.

I'd be interested to hear if she helps you too. I've watched all her youtube videos and downloaded her ebook to kindle but wasn't quite impressed enough to buy her program. It would be awesome if you were her big success story! Though personally I don't think you need her, IMO your product is fantastic and will be in every paint department in every store in the US and Canada in just a matter of a few years, all from the connections you are about to make at the Trade Show next month!!!

Shakeandbake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 4, 2013
My question to this is, when pitching a product (let's say its not Walmart or a discount store) how do you ensure the idea isn't just copied and they make it in house?

Let's say a high end luxury retail store like Harry Rosen for example, you have this killer design of a suit/blazer. It's all designed, ready to go and you just need the first order to ramp up production. Proof of concept and feedback has been great.

How do you pitch them the idea when you know they don't have ANYTHING like it. Do you just chance it and pitch to them, knowing full well it's possible for them to re-brand your idea into their brand?

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

Update?

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX

So, my question is:

If there are any “insiders†on this forum that work or have worked for any of these companies, I would really appreciate some feedback.

Peace!
Cisco

Why waste time chasing Best Buy? Their main competition is Amazon (Amazon is killing them). And it takes nothing to get your items on Amazon.

That said, all retail stores have some form of "vendor program" that's a total open door. Everyone from Wal Mart to Walgreens on down has one. There's no "secret" or "INSIDERS trick". You just have to look it up, see if you meet their guidelines and go through the screening process. Your current particular idea/plan won't pass.
Here's the vendor info for Best Buy.

https://www.extendingthereach.com/w...og.contentURL=/other/becoming_partner_all.htm

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.