The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Get Copywriting Clients -- My Onramp to the Fastlane

verial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 8, 2012
Taipei
It's been several months since I've read The Fastlane and about one year since I've been dabbling in ideas for passive income.

I got into the idea of passive income not because I'm some poor guy trying to get rich, but because I'm tired of trading time for money and want to buy freedom.

For a copywriter like me, it is easy to put off taking steps in your plan toward passive income because you'll get emails offering you $3,000 for a couple days of writing and editing work. Yeah, I could refuse and work on a passive income system that *might* work out. But I'd rather take the easy $3,000.

...or used to.

It wasn't until I read DeMarco's book the second time that I realized I had been going about things the wrong way. In my free time, in efforts to create a fastlane, I created a logo website, an eBay business, took up some translation jobs (I thought I could make passive money by outsourcing the job, but it turned out cheap translators produce cheap results), and worked as a Taobao agent.

But all of these endeavors were not passive. Nor were they part of getting on the Fastlane.

But when I reread The Fastlane, one page in particular stuck out. Here's the part of DeMarco's book that made me wake up (a rough -- not direct -- quotation):

"I was getting questions through my Limo site all the time. My friend looked at all the emails I got and said 'Dude, turn those emails into money.'"

I don't know why I hadn't realized this before, but I am in the exact same situation as DeMarco was.

Through my copywriting website, several forums, and LinkedIn, I get emails and private messages nearly every day asking me how to find clients, get clients to pay high prices, or start a copywriting business. I eventually quit responding to these messages one-by-one because it was too much of a time sink and did not benefit me at all.

But I finally came up with a solution, through connecting my situation to DeMarco's. And for the past two months I have been working on that solution.

I've come up with a way to answer everyone at once: Write a guide that answers all the questions an aspiring copywriter may have. Quit my copywriting business by helping others start theirs.

It's scalable, it's controllable, it needs expertise for entry, clearly people need it, and it will not consume my time (this part is my favorite).

And here it is on day one of its release. I cannot thank you enough MJ:

How to get copywriting clients -- a guide |

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Not Bad! I just started looking into copywriting the other day. Seems like a pretty interested profession and i haven't really payed much attention to it in the past. Im really considering starting a freelance thing. If im making $263 every other week at my job part time that just is like wow way to inefficient and not productive. What kind of income can a beginner copywriter be looking at and what kind of time does it take to really get into making any income?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011