Put our ad on craigslist last night.
Been up less than 24 hours-- have gotten about 50 resumes (!)-- many high quality.
Some not so high quality. Seems like some folks use the "shotgun" approach-- respond to every ad w/the same resume (and no cover letter), and see if you actually hit anything.
Those that take the time to respond w/a well thought out cover letter (which we request, in our ad), and also take the time to tie it to their resume (or even better, re-orient their resume to reflect the position), are given higher consideration.
And what do we do w/someone who has a generic resume, w/work experience not related to what we ask for? Or who has this listed:
Can you get any more generic than that? Know of any people NOT looking for the above?
Always amazes me how little thought some people put into 'knocking on doors' to get a job. I always did a custom resume, and a cover letter (even for silly little jobs). That's how I got my first really cool job (selling stereo equipment in a university town-- w/50,000 students-- THOUSANDS of whom applied at the one hifi store on campus (no exaggeration).
I was the only one who got the job.
Why?
Because, back then (1980-- almost 30 years ago!!!) I included a headshot (in color). Boss's wife (who did the books) saw it in the trash, and hung it up (she thought I looked like a real babe in the woods). So there my resume hung, all summer long. All the salespeople (and the boss) thought it was hilarious. They stuck tacks in my face.
But when I walked in the door of the shop, at the end of August (a week before school started), the boss walked up to me and said "Russ, right? You want a job?"
I was gobsmacked. Guy actually knew my name?
Yup. He'd been staring at my silly headshot (full of tacks through my face) all summer long!
-Russ H.
Been up less than 24 hours-- have gotten about 50 resumes (!)-- many high quality.
Some not so high quality. Seems like some folks use the "shotgun" approach-- respond to every ad w/the same resume (and no cover letter), and see if you actually hit anything.
Those that take the time to respond w/a well thought out cover letter (which we request, in our ad), and also take the time to tie it to their resume (or even better, re-orient their resume to reflect the position), are given higher consideration.
And what do we do w/someone who has a generic resume, w/work experience not related to what we ask for? Or who has this listed:
Desired: A position offering a career advancement that will fully utilize my experience and educational background for the mutual benefit of the organization and myself
Can you get any more generic than that? Know of any people NOT looking for the above?
Always amazes me how little thought some people put into 'knocking on doors' to get a job. I always did a custom resume, and a cover letter (even for silly little jobs). That's how I got my first really cool job (selling stereo equipment in a university town-- w/50,000 students-- THOUSANDS of whom applied at the one hifi store on campus (no exaggeration).
I was the only one who got the job.
Why?
Because, back then (1980-- almost 30 years ago!!!) I included a headshot (in color). Boss's wife (who did the books) saw it in the trash, and hung it up (she thought I looked like a real babe in the woods). So there my resume hung, all summer long. All the salespeople (and the boss) thought it was hilarious. They stuck tacks in my face.
But when I walked in the door of the shop, at the end of August (a week before school started), the boss walked up to me and said "Russ, right? You want a job?"
I was gobsmacked. Guy actually knew my name?

Yup. He'd been staring at my silly headshot (full of tacks through my face) all summer long!
-Russ H.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
