The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Find the Right App Developer

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Hey everyone

I'm hoping a few of you can give me some guidance. I have a few different comic related sites and have an idea for an android/ios app that I would like to get developed - however I have ZERO experience when it comes to apps.

I wanted to know if someone here can recommend a developer that they have used in the past who actually provided an app that met their expectations. I have heard many stories in the past of people using random developers, paying them upfront and getting a mediocre product.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions when it comes to developing apps, it would be much appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I have a few different comic related sites and have an idea for an android/ios app that I would like to get developed - however I have ZERO experience when it comes to apps.
Does this app serve your existing customers? How does it make their experience better? How will it create revenue?

I would think long and hard and decide if you NEED to create an app before you go looking for a Developer. If you already have, great!

I cannot recommend one. My dev outsourcing experiences have never been great.

jacob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 21, 2011
In my opinion in order to find the right app developer for the job, you must screen app developers first to see their potential even you acquire them on legit sites. You could conduct an interview and ask for a sample of work or reference. You could also give them a short test that is related to the task, which I also do when hiring independent contractors on Staff.com. It’s been months since I’ve hired them and they work very well with less supervision.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
So... you want to market your comics through an app? And they're already on a website?

Apps are that common nowadays (particularly Apple, Im referring to) you could just about find a full app template for that sort of thing online, adapt it, and publish it yourself.

Haha, a quick google revealed this:
Comic Book iPad App Xcode Project - Objective-C - iPhone - UIKit | Binpress

Merry Christmas.

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Does this app serve your existing customers? How does it make their experience better? How will it create revenue?

I would think long and hard and decide if you NEED to create an app before you go looking for a Developer. If you already have, great!

I cannot recommend one. My dev outsourcing experiences have never been great.

Jake

Excellent questions and I appreciate them. I am stuck in between developing the website fully first and then make an app, or make the app and use the website as a tool for download the app.

I need to spend some time thinking this through

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
So... you want to market your comics through an app? And they're already on a website?

Apps are that common nowadays (particularly Apple, Im referring to) you could just about find a full app template for that sort of thing online, adapt it, and publish it yourself.

Haha, a quick google revealed this:
Comic Book iPad App Xcode Project - Objective-C - iPhone - UIKit | Binpress

Merry Christmas.

I am actually thinking of developing a database for users to keep an inventory - I have found a few programs that already do this but there is one thing I want to to improve on.
Right now I have a fully functioning site that is an RSS aggregator and pulls in the latest comic news from 20 or so sources. In order to be added to my site, the user needs to add my link/logo to their homepage.

I have about 25 people so far but have not done much in terms of SEO and there is little to no revenue each month. I want to take my loss on that idea and work on this one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.