The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to dominate the local map pack

Marketing, social media, advertising

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Watch this on YouTube: Free Local SEO Course

Introduction to Local SEO Audit for a Small Business.​

Local SEO for Google is important for any small business that serves customers within a geographical area.

But before we dive into how you can get to the top of Google, it's critical that you understand some of the terminologies that we will be using throughout this course.

Local SEO Audit Terminology.​

What are keywords?​

Keywords are the words or phrases that people use to search for something on Google. For example "red shoes".

What are Google rankings?​

Rankings are the position that a webpage is listed on Google. Websites with high rankings typically get more traffic from search engines.

What is keyword difficulty?​

Keyword difficulty is how hard (or easy) it is to get a high ranking for a keyword or keyword phrase.

What is the Map Pack?​

The Map Pack (or 3-pack) is a block of three to five local businesses that are displayed in Google results.

What are local citations?​

Local citations are a mention of a business online that typically include its name, address and phone number. More, high-quality citations help with local rankings on Google.

What is NAP?​

NAP stands for Name, Address and Phone Number.

What is Google My Business?​

Google My Business is a free platform by Google to list and manage your small business listing on Google Maps.

What you'll learn from this local SEO course.​

In this local SEO course I'm going to show you:
  • How to rank for the 3-pack in Google search results
  • How to do a full local SEO audit for higher rankings
  • How to optimise Google My Business
  • ...and MUCH more.

If you have found anything in this free local SEO course that helps you and your small business, then I would really appreciate it you could Like, Share, Comment and Subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
I'm sorry, I don't see your payment to advertise. Did I miss something? Because your history here is purely used as self-promotion.
I'm sorry, but I don't see what I'm selling or advertising other than "hey here's free resources and knowledge to grow your business".

So unless you oppose helping people (for free) then I don't see what the problem is?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
You'l
I'm sorry, but I don't see what I'm selling or advertising other than "hey here's free resources and knowledge to grow your business".

So unless you oppose helping people (for free) then I don't see what the problem is?
l also note my long history on this forum with giving free knowledge and advice that people have used to grow their business. So I'm sure you'll understand my confusion.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
You come here only to promote your YouTube channel -- you think we're stupid?
Free content hosted on YouTube and embedded in a forum thread. It's not like I'm linking to content that's a part of a sales funnel or on my website.

It's literally a free course that lasts over an hour teaching people everything they need to do to get to the top of the map pack. Nothing sold, no calls to action, nothing. I also embedded the videos on the forum. So nobody leaves the forum. :-D

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Quick update to say that the remaining episodes of the free local SEO course are now up on YouTube.

Part 5: Brightlocal Hands-on With The Best Local SEO Tool
Part 6: Bing Places for Business Explained
Part 7: Apple Maps Business Listing
Part 8: Best Local SEO Tools Compared

Three new videos covering landing pages and copywriting are also available on the channel.

If you have any questions about local SEO then please don't hesitate to ask and I'll reply to you ASAP.

DEM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Feb 5, 2015
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Watch this on YouTube: Free Local SEO Course

Introduction to Local SEO Audit for a Small Business.​

Local SEO for Google is important for any small business that serves customers within a geographical area.

But before we dive into how you can get to the top of Google, it's critical that you understand some of the terminologies that we will be using throughout this course.

Local SEO Audit Terminology.​

What are keywords?​

Keywords are the words or phrases that people use to search for something on Google. For example "red shoes".

What are Google rankings?​

Rankings are the position that a webpage is listed on Google. Websites with high rankings typically get more traffic from search engines.

What is keyword difficulty?​

Keyword difficulty is how hard (or easy) it is to get a high ranking for a keyword or keyword phrase.

What is the Map Pack?​

The Map Pack (or 3-pack) is a block of three to five local businesses that are displayed in Google results.

What are local citations?​

Local citations are a mention of a business online that typically include its name, address and phone number. More, high-quality citations help with local rankings on Google.

What is NAP?​

NAP stands for Name, Address and Phone Number.

What is Google My Business?​

Google My Business is a free platform by Google to list and manage your small business listing on Google Maps.

What you'll learn from this local SEO course.​

In this local SEO course I'm going to show you:
  • How to rank for the 3-pack in Google search results
  • How to do a full local SEO audit for higher rankings
  • How to optimise Google My Business
  • ...and MUCH more.

If you have found anything in this free local SEO course that helps you and your small business, then I would really appreciate it you could Like, Share, Comment and Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Thanks for this Chris. I'm really trying to up my game with google maps and these videos have provided me with some great tips. Thankyou!

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
We crushed map pack for our local IT business by asking relentlessly for Google Reviews.

Built it into our technician's process - after they fix a ticket, ask for a Google review. And a monthly email blast asking for feedback and review.

It only took about 30 to get to the top 3, with the other 2 having over a hundred. Got us a ton of leads!

DEM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Feb 5, 2015
We crushed map pack for our local IT business by asking relentlessly for Google Reviews.

Built it into our technician's process - after they fix a ticket, ask for a Google review. And a monthly email blast asking for feedback and review.

It only took about 30 to get to the top 3, with the other 2 having over a hundred. Got us a ton of leads!

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Is there any legitimate ways to rank well in the map pack in a wide service area?

I run a towing business and we rank in the top when people are near by our shop, but we service a 50 mile radius around our shop so ranking at all in that wide of an area seems unlikely without opening a bunch of GMB pages with different addresses, which I am sure Google wouldn't like.

DEM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Feb 5, 2015
Is there any legitimate ways to rank well in the map pack in a wide service area?

I run a towing business and we rank in the top when people are near by our shop, but we service a 50 mile radius around our shop so ranking at all in that wide of an area seems unlikely without opening a bunch of GMB pages with different addresses, which I am sure Google wouldn't like.
@BigRomeDawg stated reviews. That's what I am currently pushing for at the moment. But it's no easy task. Even clients who love the service we provide allocate zero of their time to reviewing us. Even if we send a link making it as easy as possible. So I a literally obsessing over reviews at the moment. I've applied allot of the techniques from this thread. So I'll update you if I see any improvement. Also, I think one of the takeaways I found watching through the videos on this thread is finding high value backlinks. So I'm looking in to advertising on directories with strong local relevance.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
@BigRomeDawg stated reviews. That's what I am currently pushing for at the moment. But it's no easy task. Even clients who love the service we provide allocate zero of their time to reviewing us. Even if we send a link making it as easy as possible. So I a literally obsessing over reviews at the moment. I've applied allot of the techniques from this thread. So I'll update you if I see any improvement. Also, I think one of the takeaways I found watching through the videos on this thread is finding high value backlinks. So I'm looking in to advertising on directories with strong local relevance.
What's your service? In our case the service was phone-based, so at the end of the call our techs would ask "Hey, before we end this call, can you do me a huge favor?... Ok so just open Google, type company name..."

Beside that, we also got a small percentage of eviews from sending monthly CSAT surveys.

DEM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Feb 5, 2015
What's your service? In our case the service was phone-based, so at the end of the call our techs would ask "Hey, before we end this call, can you do me a huge favor?... Ok so just open Google, type company name..."

Beside that, we also got a small percentage of eviews from sending monthly CSAT surveys.
I run a landscaping business. I currently do online marketing myself. So admittedly I haven't given it the consistency it needs. The plan is to upload photos daily, get reviews, post updates daily and backlink to highly regarded local directories. I like the idea of a short survey. Or I may even offer a discount on a service or product to entice a review. I know there are automated review apps as well. I'll do what it takes to get this business to where it needs to be. Thanks for the ideas, it's given me more to think about.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.