The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to develop websites for Lead Gen?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hi all,

Over the past few years, we've amassed quite a few decent domain names.

This coming year we will be developing some of the domains listed below.

We intend to use them as lead generators for our B&B/Inn business-- so not so much for affiliate mktg or ads, but we are open to that (it's just not the focus).

I realize that many of you who do web development do it to attract biz from all over the globe.

Me, I'm just looking to use these as sites that get people to our inn (or, to our inn's website-- 2 different goals, actually).

What we want:

We want these sites to be "draws" for lots of travelers-- we know that LOTS of people are looking to stay in the Napa Valley.

So, I'd love to hear your ideas about these domains, and what could be done w/them.

We plan on having at least one "guide" site-- a place that has reviews of restaurants, wineries, and local attractions. It will have short (30-90 sec) videos of interviews w/local restaurant chefs, as well as winemakers and other local folks of interest.

Other domains could be built as "reference" sites -again, for info.

The #1 purpose here would be to drive business to our website, or to get bookings.

The #2 purpose would be to inform visitors, and rank highly SEO for searches like "napa valley", "napa valley hotel", or other big search phrases travelers use.

So, here is the list of domains we have:

GUIDE SITES:

GUIDETONAPAVALLEY.NET
GUIDETONAPAVALLEY.ORG
GUIDETOTHENAPAVALLEY.COM
LETSGOTONAPA.COM
MYGUIDETONAPAVALLEY.COM
NAPAVACATIONS.ORG
SECRETSOFTHENAPAVALLEY.COM
WINECOUNTRYTOP10.COM

BEER in NAPA:

NAPABEERBLOG.COM
NAPABEERWINE.COM
BEERWINENAPA.COM
BEERWINENAPAVALLEY.COM

NICHES:

DOGFRIENDLYNAPA.COM
DOGFRIENDLYNAPAVALLEY.COM
NAPADOGFRIENDLY.COM
NAPAFAMILYFRIENDLY.COM

FESTIVALS & "TRAILS":

NAPAHOLIDAYFESTIVAL.COM
NAPAVALLEYARTANDWINEFESTIVAL.COM
NAPAVALLEYARTWINE.COM
NAPAVALLEYARTWINEFESTIVAL.COM
NAPAVALLEYARTANDWINE.COM
NAPAVALLEYWINEANDCHEESETRAIL.COM
WINEANDCHEESETRAIL.COM (we've already started working on this one, it will be global)
NAPAWINEANDCHEESETRAIL.COM

Any/all ideas and thots are welcome! :banana:

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
bump.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Without running a detailed keyword research, I assume these are very competitive keywords you are going after.

I'd definitely start with the niche ones. Establish some good ranking for them and then start linking to the others. I'd develop the Dog niche first, and then the Beer one. As soon as those sites start getting PR 2 or higher then I'd start linking to the others.

The videos are probably the best hook you can provide, IMO.

How are you planning to compete with yelp and others similar to that one? Or actually 'join them' and link to some of those reviews as well?

Having twitter accts for each would help, if you put together things like coupons and discounts.

Sorry, got to run for now, I'm in the middle of something, but I do think you have good domains there...

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
At the very least, put up a default website (can be wordpress blog, joomla, static white on black html, whatever you like) immediately to have these things marinating. (c&p) basic on topic NV article on the homepage. Ideally you would have done this all along, but the point is, as you work through your network, sites are developing age and are already indexed, amongst other things.

Are you learning/managing this yourself? That'll change what I'm gonna say next.

If so, what are your current skill sets (or the skills of your team) as far as website setup, content deployment, on and off site seo, etc...?

edit: actually I think you asked me these questions at last years b&p, but I was hopped up on so much sinus medicine I don't remember what I said. lol Still have those papers?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
At the very least, put up a default website (can be wordpress blog, joomla, static white on black html, whatever you like) immediately to have these things marinating. (c&p) basic on topic NV article on the homepage. Ideally you would have done this all along, but the point is, as you work through your network, sites are developing age and are already indexed, amongst other things.

That makes sense. I can get working on this.

Are you learning/managing this yourself? That'll change what I'm gonna say next.

Um. Not sure. Love to learn new things. But at the same time, having help would speed up the learning curve big time.

If so, what are your current skill sets (or the skills of your team) as far as website setup, content deployment, on and off site seo, etc...?

I have minimal skills in this area. We've been blogging a bit this year (enuf to get #1 organic for our top keyword phrase), but that's the limit of my skilz. I can't do html to save my life, and (and as you pointed out a few months ago), we're not using wordpress ('cause I don't have any experience wid it).

edit: actually I think you asked me these questions at last years b&p, but I was hopped up on so much sinus medicine I don't remember what I said. lol Still have those papers?

What papers? My aging memory is apparently competing w/your sinus meds! :smx4:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

That makes sense. I can get working on this.

Um. Not sure. Love to learn new things. But at the same time, having help would speed up the learning curve big time.

I have minimal skills in this area. We've been blogging a bit this year (enuf to get #1 organic for our top keyword phrase), but that's the limit of my skilz. I can't do html to save my life, and (and as you pointed out a few months ago), we're not using wordpress ('cause I don't have any experience wid it).

What papers? My aging memory is apparently competing w/your sinus meds! :smx4:

-Russ H.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Hmm. I think you kinda need to decide on that. I feel like this is a 100 part question. ;)

To answer your thread title question, a lead gen site can be anything. The need to create a monster national site like MJ's is a bit of a misconception, in relation to your own biz needs. The real focus, should be matching a service with a user's needs.

For example, this is a lead gen site I built the other day to marinate for some upcoming projects. Bathroom Remodeling Orlando

Does it look like something out of the ordinary? Nope. It will have a standard company appearance and appeal to it's target market. Under the hood, features like call tracking/forwarding, estimate form databases, automated content updates, and so on will make it a powerful tool and dominate it's micro local market with some minor promotion. I simply plug in my client's contact details, and away we go.

You could do something similar, as well as creating educational and "news" portals. These can run banner ads for your business, have direct editorial reviews with the best lodging in NV (with your business being featured obviously), and so on... all the while building up your network and adding to your leverage bank. Case in point: Orlando Florida News

Regardless, it would be a good idea to take a look at what you're getting into. First you wanna see if there are any volume search targets, and how they can apply to your business. A quick look at gakwt will give you an idea of what the competitive verticals are and why.

fbm3yg.png

Obviously the appropriate sectors that would lead to bookings are going to be your primary targets, but don't discount general interest and networking opportunities for some other related verticals for your info portals and such. (just because you don't intend to allow outside advertising, doesn't mean you can't do promo swaps with related companies)

A quick sort by cpc will give you a glimpse at where others are spending money and why... those that relate to your biz will give you an idea of what to expect from the current market climate.

osskme.png

For example, it looks like napa valleys bus tours are big spenders. A, probably because it's an instant rev return, and B, because the area's demand supports it. If you have a portal, you can approach the top players (like napa winery shuttle) and say hey, I know you're spending X on ppc ads, how bout we feature you on our local portal and do a video review of your service, and you advertise our B&B and put our stickers inside your bus. (poor example since most taking a tour are already staying somewhere, but you get the idea... you obviously want lead generators that intercept a visitor researching their purchase/lodging decision)

OR, create your own online guide, but also the areas top local printed guide that you give to all guests, and will eventually be distributed everywhere.

"Well I don't want to advertise for other biz's right now, we want to book more rooms"!

It's the flip side leverage that your after... if you control the guide, you control who's in it. After about a year or so, that leverage will come full circle if executed properly, and most local businesses featured in the guide will be recommending you everywhere. AND, now when you fail at capturing bookings from a visitors FIRST stay, everything in town will be pointing to you for their SECOND stay. A little involved I know, but this is how my mind works. (this might be a poor example as well, but the idea is to gain control of all interest channels, so you can do more with less money)

Rather than just being the best INN in NV, you now are moving toward a complete geographical asset, with multiple points of control, that can influence what a visitor to the area does while they're there.

Ok, enough with the guerrilla style insights.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Isolate a mac daddy site that equates to "THE Napa Valley Guide." This will be your top tier asset.

Slice up the sub niches with all the other sites, and form these into your network. They all promote each other, and your guide site. Every site features your INN as THE place to stay, and references your informative video review on the guide site for credibility.

Keep the users in mind. Whatever the site's topic is, give them the best possible information they're looking for, and advise them accordingly.

I would say the first step is create a clear plan, and get started building one site. As you do, you'll uncover tips that'll make the next one that much better. (and stop using blogger!!! they control your stuff... me no like that)

I"m all over the place here, and could write a book on this, so what ideas are you looking for exactly?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Matt,

Love the stuff you've written so far-- makes a ton of sense.

And I realize the need to get things switched over from blogger (want to do that, very soon), while still maintaining our top position. Hope that is possible?

Also, there are TONS of searches for "napa" and "napa valley"-- so making the mac daddy site around this seems to make sense (and I have *tons* of info I can generate for this-- and also dozens of tie-ins to wineries, restaurants, etc).

How busy are you these days?

(Can I even afford you?)

PM me if you'd like to talk about this as a biz thang.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I feel like this is a 100 part question. ;)

I tend to ask those without realizing it!

Sounds like I have a LOT of stuff to cover here-- which is not a surprise.

Now the thing to do is develop an action plan, and get going on it.

PM me if you're interested in helping w/this (for $$$ or a trade for nights at a pretty nice B&B in the Napa Valley)

-Russ H.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
And I realize the need to get things switched over from blogger (want to do that, very soon), while still maintaining our top position. Hope that is possible?

Oh sure it is... you're using your own domain, so it's no problem. You just want to make sure and keep the url structure exactly the same and have the theme converted. I'm sure a quick google search would give you a better outline of the process. move from blogger to wordpress - Google Search

Also, there are TONS of searches for "napa" and "napa valley"-- so making the mac daddy site around this seems to make sense (and I have *tons* of info I can generate for this-- and also dozens of tie-ins to wineries, restaurants, etc).

How busy are you these days?

(Can I even afford you?)

PM me if you'd like to talk about this as a biz thang.

-Russ H.

Yeah I forgot you used to do editorials for the home audio mag... I'm sure you won't have any problems with great content considering your experience.

Haha, oh I wasn't prospecting for business, I was just trying to be helpful.

I'll pm ya anyway, make sure you're on the right track. ;)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Matt and I are having discussions offline.

Hey other fastlaners: Ideas? Suggestions?

What would a great "Guide to the Napa Valley" site have on it?

(I have my own ideas, but want to hear yours!)

-Russ H.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Matt and I are having discussions offline.

Hey other fastlaners: Ideas? Suggestions?

What would a great "Guide to the Napa Valley" site have on it?

(I have my own ideas, but want to hear yours!)

-Russ H.

Not really an idea, but when I think of Napa Valley only 2 words come to mind, wine, and California. While I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about it, I bet other people have the same vague thought. Surely there are other parts about Napa Valley that are interesting - that you could talk about in a 'Guide to Napa Valley'. :smxB:

Anyway, I'm off to skim through the Napa Valley wiki article now. haha

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Icy-

No, this is really good. It's what I wanted: What does someone who knows little about the Napa Valley look for?

For instance, there are several towns in the Napa Valley. But our B&B is in the busiest town (the town of Napa)-- and part of the reason it's *always* been the busiest is the name ("Napa").

If I talk about St Helena, or Yountville, or Calistoga, or Oakville to someone not super familiar w/the Napa Valley, chances are they won't recognize these names. But they *will* associate "Napa" w/the Napa Valley.

See?

So sometimes NOT knowing is better-- for me as a designer-- than knowing. So I can pull people in using these kinds of keywords.

-Russ H.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Russ:

I am not sure if you have thought about this already or have done this already.

I went to Napa a while back to find wineries for my wife to taste the wines. Too bad, I am the dedicate driver and I can't drink.

I know many people and travelers go to Napa to find good wine, but they have to visit many different wineries, stores to find different wines to taste.

Can you offer something (Website and your B&B) for people to find wine at one place.

What I am trying to say is to offer your B&B the place for people to come to taste any wine (supplied by the wineries) and offer discount rate to people stay at your hotel. You can arrange a wine making class or wineries tour.

You want to make your B&B a social place or even a meetup place. People may not stay at your place, but they will remember your place. Word of mouth is what you will need OFFLINE.

In turns of building the websites. As far as I know, not every wine in Napa valley are available for people to taste. So, market your B&B as a place like this.

Can't find Napa wine to taste? You name it we've got it - House special for B&B guest.

Hope that help!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Russ:

I am not sure if you have thought about this already or have done this already.

I went to Napa a while back to find wineries for my wife to taste the wines. Too bad, I am the dedicate driver and I can't drink.

I know many people and travelers go to Napa to find good wine, but they have to visit many different wineries, stores to find different wines to taste.

Can you offer something (Website and your B&B) for people to find wine at one place.

What I am trying to say is to offer your B&B the place for people to come to taste any wine (supplied by the wineries) and offer discount rate to people stay at your hotel. You can arrange a wine making class or wineries tour.

You want to make your B&B a social place or even a meetup place. People may not stay at your place, but they will remember your place. Word of mouth is what you will need OFFLINE.

In turns of building the websites. As far as I know, not every wine in Napa valley are available for people to taste. So, market your B&B as a place like this.

Can't find Napa wine to taste? You name it we've got it - House special for B&B guest.

Hope that help!

Terrance-

This is a great idea, and one that we've looked into.

It requires permission/permits from the City of Napa, and also requires things from the CA Alcohol and Beverage Commission ("ABC"). It will cost us ~$8-15,000 to do this-- IF we are able to do it.

Essentially, we would petition to become a "tasting room" and then host wineries.

It's a great idea-- and our reasons for doing it are similar to those you list-- but we need to save up some before we can go ahead w/it.

-Russ H.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Russ,

When I am researching visiting any location online, I like reading peoples reviews. For whatever it may be, attractions or lodging. I know it isn't 100% accurate always but usually you can get a good feel for a hotel after reading some quick reviews. Sometimes I may hear about a certain attraction only to go online and find out they are another option that offers just as much or more, for less.

I am kind of like you, not the most web savy guy in the world. If you had sites that could incorporate in depth reviews (pictures, video, article, ect) along with users being allowed to leave feedback, I think that is what I would find the most value in.

Just my two cents...

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
well the keyword phrase "guide to the napa valley" doesnt look too competitive...also the suggestion to switch to wordpress is golden...google love wp site and making them look professional is a snap...you can then find complimentary keywords and put an article about each topic on ur site...then either re-write those articles or spin them and put them on article directories with links pointing back to ur site...i see articles on the 1st page for that keyword so you should be able to rank there with a lil work in about a month or so...then interlink all your other sites using the same strategy and keep adding backlinks to all sites...u should dominate the niche or at the very least have a foothold within a short time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.