The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to create your own phone app?

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
Has anyone here created their own phone app?
Do it yourself or pay a company? Which company?

I am surprised how few threads have been started regarding phone apps. I would think it would be popular but I couldnt really find much. Maybe my search skills suck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andrewsemi

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 2, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Has anyone here created their own phone app?
Do it yourself or pay a company? Which company?

I am surprised how few threads have been started regarding phone apps. I would think it would be popular but I couldnt really find much. Maybe my search skills suck.

Yea. I was wondering the same thing. I changed my business plan from print to digital. I also need help with this. I kind of wanted to learn on my own on how to do this jazz on my own so if anyone would recommend any type of books, sites that would be helpful. But yea, are there "good" Iphone app designers out there that i could pay or do I need to take another partner/sell ownership in order to do this.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
I also wanted to look into coding it myself, except here's the thing: we are in the fastlane business. Unless you have the time and energy (and sustaining funds), I'd recommend just hiring out all the work.

For design I use a designer I've used for years. She's in the USA now, but she used to be (or still is *Shrug*) the #1 rated designer in Bali. Fair rates, quality work. PM me and I'll send you her portfolio page.

As for programming: hire it out. There is a huge learning curve to learning programming on the iPhone. If you know programming, like me, then you still have a decent sized learning curve as the iPhone (natively, not talking about hacked apps here) used Objective C (if memory serves me right).

My guestimate for prices, since last I checked, would be anywhere between $300 to $1000+ (as some I've seen even for what 'seemed' like easy iphone projects) for just the programming.

chesman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 16, 2011
San Jose, CA
Outsourcing for app development

I'm a computer science major and can learn the programming but like what piotrkrzyzek said we're in the fastlane business and I'd like to use my time and energy wisely. So I'm going to outsource the programming. I'm also looking for a designer. piotrkrzyzek Would you email me your designer contact to see if her style matches mine?

I'm not sure if you read this article before. I have learned a lot from it and you may learn a lot from it also. Mind Juice » Outsourcing For Fun & Profit

dec360

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 16, 2011
Wisconsin
Piotrkrzyzek,

Can you also send me her contact info? I am working on an ap for the Ipad.

Thanks

David

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
When you build a house do you start with the contractor or do you start with the Architect?

Why would building an iPhone App be any different? First you need to put your requirements in order, then you hire a DESIGNER, they will help you take your requirements and put them into screens that are meaningful, well organized and have a good UI. Then you take that to a programmer.

If you go straight to a programmer, you are most likely going to get a clunky app that is not real easy to use, or very appealing to look at.

My designer is at Alex Komarov Inc., my app just passed the 10,000 buyers mark.

Goobii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 29, 2011
AUS
Hey Guys,

Have you guys tried Elance.com - I had some print designed from a designer that I found there for a fraction of the cost of hiring one local.

There's my 2cents worth...

Cheers

G

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ferrari Girl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Apr 3, 2011
http://www.theiphonesystem.com/eddale/ - iphone apps - just received the link in my inbox :) although I'm not into it yet.

I got that, too. Are you trying it out? If so, let me know what you think. It sounds great, but at $997, just for the program, I am wondering if what you learn will really be worth that much or if you could learn the same things elsewhere as easily for less?

I have also been checking out runrev.com, and they have a LiveCode programming system that lets you write your own code using more of a natural language, for non-programmers. But outsourcing seems to be the fastest fastlane way to go.

alexwhite305

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 1, 2011
I'm a full time software developer. I've created a few iPhone apps. Here's my two cents.

-The two Clickbank products mentioned so far in this thread reek of scam, especially the 360 one. I couldn't find any screenshots of the actual 360 product. That is very scary. Would you buy a tool without being able to see it? Creating an app and making money from it are two very different things. These products may help you make an app, they are certainly no guarantee of making money. On to the second point.

-There are a ton of apps but only a tiny number of people are making great money, a few more people are breaking even, and the rest got an expensive learning experience. From articles I've read and fellow developers I've talked to, I estimate 2 to 3% of the people in the app store are making great money, 10 to 15% are breaking even, and the rest lost money / time. Here are some articles to get you going and if you search around a bit, you can find a lot more:
iPhone App Sales, Exposed
6 Months of iPhone App Sales Stats, Cause and Effect.

-I echo 'healthstatus' comments. Get your design nailed first before you start developing. Developing is expensive and changing your mind half-way through waste money. After you know exactly what you want, get a developer.

-You are largely giving up control in the mobile app space, especially in the iTunes AppStore. Apple can and will refuse your application or shut it down and you have no recourse. Also, how are you going to stand out in AppStore? If you get featured or make it to the top 10 list, you are golden. But how are you going to stand out amongst the other 250,000+ apps?

For the record, I've had 9,771 sales which took me three years to get. At $0.99 cents a sales, after Apple takes 30% and then you pay income tax, I consider that I broken even with the roughly 100 hours I put into learning to code in Object C, developing and supporting the apps.

semsniper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jun 29, 2011
Washington DC
Some good points, here.

I think the question is why do you want to develop an app? Sure, it is all the rage now.
But as someone alluded to, the days of making big bucks may be over. Or at the very least going to be very tough to make some serious dough. You really need something that is unique & addictive. And one that people will jump at telling their friends about.

For me, though - when i am ready to develop my app, it will be because it enhances my brand & makes it easier for people to access my service/product. If it ends up boosting my revenue, then it's a huge bonus, but I most likely wouldn't charge users to download it and any costs associated with the development & ongoing maintenance of the app will simply be a cost of doing business.

My 2c

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Alex makes a VERY good point which another developer/entrepreneur said to me a while back:

"Why on earth should I make an iPhone app? It's like taking a pick-axe to the rocks and hoping to strike gold. A few rare people get really rich, while the rest go broke. See, if I make a 99 cent app someone in the near future will come around and create a free version of it and *poof* there goes the need for my app!"

Semsniper made an even better point: create a app the enhances your clients experience with your business. That way, they get more exposure to you and your brand. It's win-win-win!

Cheers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.