The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to copywrite my way out of my job?

Marketing, social media, advertising

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Anyone have any tips on how I can get started and least replace my income so I can quit my job?

Here's my struggle: I'm 21, I'm a McDonald's store manager. I aspire to be and do so much more because I know what I am capable of, both creatively and intellectually in general. I own an ecommerce site that is struggling. I want to create a supplemental income to quit my job and focus on creating a bigger company. Obviously I cannot do that if I'm stuck in my Slowlane bloodsucking slave wage position.

I am a pretty good writer. When I was in school, my teachers would often talk at great lengths about my writing abilities, but I never found a way to put them to use. I also have what I think is a fairly good understanding of sales copy structure.

So could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you all so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Buy / Read these:

- The Millionaire Fastlane (obviously)
- Casvertising
- Tested Advertising Methods
- My Life in Advertising / Scientific Advertising (two books in one)
- The Robert Collier Letter Book
- How to Write a Good Advertisement

You say you have an ecommerce site? Do your margins allow for paid marketing? Google/Facebook/Bing ads, affiliate offers, etc?

Is it your own branded product? Can you list it on Amazon under your own brand? Are you on Ebay? Craigslist?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
A short story that MAY help you:

A few years ago I was a telemarketer. $9.50/hour plus commission (commission might as well not existed.) I was staying at my girlfriend's families house. I started a website about a videogame (minecraft) where I reviewed independent servers. I chose this based on CPC, competition, and Keyword analysis.

I took the tips I learned from the servers I interviewed, and combined them with basic marketing advice. I wrote a book about minecraft titled "Funding Your Minecraft Server". I wrote this ON PAPER in between automated calls at my job. I took what I wrote on paper, and every night I would translate it into my phone, and send it to myself via email. I then took the emails and turned it into a formatted book. Day by day I wrote for a month.

I finally put it for sale on my website, and then started to hustle. I promoted it as hard as I could on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook. I did paid advertising, I did SEO. I called the owners of the sites at the top of google, and I had them take down their google ads and put up my book ads. It generated me a few grand/month, which was enough to replace the income several times over. It took me 3 months of work to get from conception to money in the bank.

Of course, there were some major mistakes down the road in that business that left me terribly in debt.. but I was heading in the right direction early on.
There's nothing stopping you from replacing your income using your writing skills.

My one piece of advice:
Make progress every day. You "figuring something out" is not progress. It needs to be apparent to an outsider. Every night your business should have grown since that morning. Maybe you're writing a blog post, maybe you're securing a deal with a partner, maybe you're writing a chapter, maybe you designed your book cover and layout. EVERY SINGLE DAY should be a step forward.

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
@DennisDuty Nice man.

Keep the hustle going/ story motivated me. Not cuz it had nice cars at the end/ or a big bank account. Seemed genuine. Hahaha I know my writing can get better and will help my business and my life. Proactively working on it.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
My one piece of advice:
Make progress every day. You "figuring something out" is not progress. It needs to be apparent to an outsider. Every night your business should have grown since that morning. Maybe you're writing a blog post, maybe you're securing a deal with a partner, maybe you're writing a chapter, maybe you designed your book cover and layout. EVERY SINGLE DAY should be a step forward.

:rockon:

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Just as a little side note, my ecommerce site is 100% drop-shipped products. Yes, margins allow for paid Google Ads etc, but I'm in a really saturated niche already so I'm gonna try another niche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joozed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Oct 29, 2013
Since you are just starting out the key is to get going. Put a copywriting gig up on Fiverr. Writing jobs are extremely popular on Fiverr and many of them do huge sales and volume. While you most likely not get rich you will get to practice your craft, build a resume / reputation, learn more about he industry and possibly make future connections all while collecting money and meeting new people that need great writers for their projects! Also maybe check out Elance as there is a huge need for good writers on many of the Freelance sites. Once you become an established writer with a nice client list you can then start to work on your own writing projects that capture even greater business advantages such as residuals. You can also start a blog about your experiences as a writer which could also lead to some income and even more credibility. Best luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.