The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to become fluent in Speaking Any language?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Hi fastlaners,

I am from India and English is not my first language, I was taught English from a young age but still am not able to communicate well(I can speak, write, read and listen). Its not fluent. not real time like my native language.

I have started making videos on youtube and for other platforms to later use it as a marketing channel.

I want to conduct many online workshops, courses to build a community so I can leverage it later with my marketplace.

Some of you may have learned and are in multiple languages.

mind sharing how to become fluent in speaking the language. books or some resources will also be helpful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Speak with native speakers as much as you can. I can't recommend Italki.com enough (or any other platform where you can hire a native speaker to talk with you on a variety of topics and correct you).

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
thanks, @MTF I will look it up

Venn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 22, 2019
Rome
Try to enter a community that speak the language you would like to learn. You can check for toastmasters in your country/city, they have often native and english sessions.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Try to enter a community that speak the language you would like to learn. You can check for toastmasters in your country/city, they have often native and english sessions.
I did planned to go to toastmasters but currently closed during covid

Last edited:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
"Fluent in 3 Months" is pretty good ... but basically it boils down to: don't obsess over vocabulary and studying grammar rules for too long, engage in discussions as soon as possible - long before you are comfortable.

One other thing I like is that it challenges the "common knowledge" that it is a good sign when you start thinking in the target language.
Why wait for that to just happen? The better way to think about it is that you can decide to force yourself to think in the language of your choice.

Tim Ferriss has other tips ... like figuring out which 20% of the vocabulary make up 80% of the words in written / spoken sentences. Can't find something to link to.

He has an article which is mostly about "Fluent In 3 Months", though: 12 Rules for Learning Foreign Languages in Record Time — The Only Post You'll Ever Need

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
"Fluent in 3 Months" is pretty good ... but basically it boils down to: don't obsess over vocabulary and studying grammar rules for too long, engage in discussions as soon as possible - long before you are comfortable.

One other thing I like is that it challenges the "common knowledge" that it is a good sign when you start thinking in the target language.
Why wait for that to just happen? The better way to think about it is that you can decide to force yourself to think in the language of your choice.

Tim Ferriss has other tips ... like figuring out which 20% of the vocabulary make up 80% of the words in written / spoken sentences. Can't find something to link to.

He has an article which is mostly about "Fluent In 3 Months", though: 12 Rules for Learning Foreign Languages in Record Time — The Only Post You'll Ever Need
@Andreas Thiel ,
initially, I was also thinking this route, later to realize that I am pretty good at speaking the problem comes when I have to answer in real-time without thinking.
realized this in my recent accountability meeting. I thought I was going to speak good but words came out of my mouth sucked a*s.

Edit: we are communicating in english.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Never hesitate to speak in the language that you want to learn with your fellow mates. It'll help. Also read a lot.
I am extremely comfortable and fluent when speaking amongst friends, the problem comes when speaking to an important person or whom I don't know, without preparing anything.

on side note
Welcome on the forum

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Get yourself a girlfriend that talks the language you want to learn.

Semi-kidding
wish it was that easy..... to find a girlfriend whose language you can speak well.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
I've heard very good things about Fluent Forever

And if you're looking for inspiration: there's this YouTube channel by an American guy that has learned to speak perfect Chinese (including some exotic accents) and he goes around Chinatown shocking the locals :)

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I strongly recommend the app Tandem, is a language exchange app. Other than that:

-Do not be afraid of making mistakes.
-80/20 analysis.
-Focus on speaking first and then you worry about the other parts.

More importantly, PRACTICE EVERYDAY and use spaced repetition systems.

P.S: Which languages do you want to learn? Maybe I can help you.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I strongly recommend the app Tandem, is a language exchange app. Other than that:

-Do not be afraid of making mistakes.
-80/20 analysis.
-Focus on speaking first and then you worry about the other parts.

More importantly, PRACTICE EVERYDAY and use spaced repetition systems.

P.S: Which languages do you want to learn? Maybe I can help you.
I want speaking fluency in English.

Archer_Zero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 2, 2020
Hi fastlaners,

I am from India and English is not my first language, I was taught English from a young age but still am not able to communicate well(I can speak, write, read and listen). Its not fluent. not real time like my native language.

I have started making videos on youtube and for other platforms to later use it as a marketing channel.

I want to conduct many online workshops, courses to build a community so I can leverage it later with my marketplace.

Some of you may have learned and are in multiple languages.

mind sharing how to become fluent in speaking the language. books or some resources will also be helpful.
a friend of mine advised me to make it a habit to think & write in the language you wanna learn
- although this might affect your thoughts flow ( you can switch back to thinking with your native language if you're solving a hard problem )

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
a friend of mine advised me to make it a habit to think & write in the language you wanna learn
- although this might affect your thoughts flow ( you can switch back to thinking with your native language if you're solving a hard problem )
I am looking for speaking fluency in English, I can read, write, listen (even at 3x), and speak.
But i dont have fluency in speaking english.

Want to produce youtube videos faster and also organise live workshops, so I feel that I need to make it better as I can speak without thinking about it, which causes a huge delay.

Hope you got my point

Archer_Zero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 2, 2020
I am looking for speaking fluency in English, I can read, write, listen (even at 3x), and speak.
But i dont have fluency in speaking english.

Want to produce youtube videos faster and also organise live workshops, so I feel that I need to make it better as I can speak without thinking about it, which causes a huge delay.

Hope you got my point
I'm not a language expert, but I see 2 components to fluency:
1. your pronunciation & grammar
2. the flow of the words in your mind

if your mental process is to think in "words", then the habit of thinking in English during your daily life, should help you with both points.

Hope this helps :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.