The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Become a Data Scientist?

adisharma

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 23, 2020
Gurgaon
Hello Everyone, I am 25 years old and I want to build my career as a data scientist. I have 3 years of experience in python programming Can anyone know the essential skills for becoming a Data Scientist? Or is any cons in a data scientist?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I'm a little stumped... why do you want to "become" a data scientist if you don't know what one does? To some extent you are what you do... are you sure you want to become one?

Anyway, at the most basic level, you need to apply scientific method to data sets, in order to answer questions. Beyond that, it's very open. You could apply data science to education, physics, or aquatic plant growth.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not enough to learn specific tools like python, R, or NoSQL, although all those are fine. If you want to be a scientist of any sort, you need an understanding of scientific inquiry, and what it does for us. Methods, processes, biases, how to use empiricism and logic without being misled by assumptions or spurious correlations. Science is a mental and emotional discipline, and it's pretty difficult on its own.

Cons? Yes, there are lots of cons in data science. At least 37% of all statements represented as fact are based on false data, and people believe them anyway.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Hello Everyone, I am 25 years old and I want to build my career as a data scientist. I have 3 years of experience in python programming Can anyone know the essential skills for becoming a Data Scientist? Or is any cons in a data scientist?
if you want some direct business value, it's none. as ai product is good but the landscape is always changing.

if you want to get a job in ai(from your name, I assume you are from India), companies don't hire for starting position, most of them require a Ph.D. or masters(I know because I was learning it for 1.5 years and found out later).

if you still want to do it

also pay is not what you are thinking, it's the same as a web or app developer for a job in India.

Last edited:

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
There are three major pathways to get data science education from boot camp training, university degree/certificate, and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC). So think first about how can you access one of these sources.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

adisharma

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 23, 2020
Gurgaon
There are three major pathways to get data science education from boot camp training, university degree/certificate, and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC). So think first about how can you access one of these sources.
I agree with you and I want to know the roadmap of becoming a data scientist. I have found this post while I was searching on google to find the roadmap.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.