An exceptional post by Patrick McKenzie.
It's a long post. Here are some of the best bits:
“Money is also the convenient method of keeping score for optimizing businesses, which feels like a game to me. I really enjoy winning games with complicated rules sets, especially by optimizing the heck out of play, because optimization is often as much fun as actually playing the game.”
“Along the way, almost totally by accident, I discovered that you could open a small software business on the Internet pretty much without asking permission from anyone. I discovered that I really, really liked almost every aspect of doing business, in the same way that I really, really did not like most aspects of working at a megacorp.”
“The world isn’t a meritocracy.”
“You can often get what you want.”
“Working five days a week? Your choice.
A job which doesn’t excite you? Your choice.
Money insufficient to buy whatever it is you want? Your choice.”
“Thomas mentioned that, if I had phrased my invitation as “Why don’t I consult for you” rather than “Why don’t we grab coffee”, he would have gladly written me a check…He told me that he would have paid $15,000, and it blew my mind. “
It's a long post. Here are some of the best bits:
“Money is also the convenient method of keeping score for optimizing businesses, which feels like a game to me. I really enjoy winning games with complicated rules sets, especially by optimizing the heck out of play, because optimization is often as much fun as actually playing the game.”
“Along the way, almost totally by accident, I discovered that you could open a small software business on the Internet pretty much without asking permission from anyone. I discovered that I really, really liked almost every aspect of doing business, in the same way that I really, really did not like most aspects of working at a megacorp.”
“The world isn’t a meritocracy.”
“You can often get what you want.”
“Working five days a week? Your choice.
A job which doesn’t excite you? Your choice.
Money insufficient to buy whatever it is you want? Your choice.”
“Thomas mentioned that, if I had phrased my invitation as “Why don’t I consult for you” rather than “Why don’t we grab coffee”, he would have gladly written me a check…He told me that he would have paid $15,000, and it blew my mind. “
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
