The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How often you get ideas?

Idea threads

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Several times per day.

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
Several times per day.

Hey MJ,

Do you notice a difference in the amount of ideas you think up right now -being retired- compared to the grind you endured in your earlier years -when you had just moved to Arizona and were living in your 1bdrm apartment?

Just curious to see if your thirst for filling needs and ideas has dipped down since acquiring large sums of money.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've always had ideas, but I see much more now than before, I look at it like my head is attuned to the frequency so reception is better ...

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Several times a day.

I have noticed when I am researching or developing one idea, more ideas come to my mind solving the problems that I am having with the current idea. :coco: LoL. It really depends on how you handle situations that life throws at you. You can either complain and learn nothing or you can see the problem has a solution and your AHA moment can come instantly.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I've always had ideas, but I see much more now than before, I look at it like my head is attuned to the frequency so reception is better ...

Practice makes perfect..the more people work at something, the better they get. The same applies here.. So yeah, reception gets better with time and experience! :)

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
All the time. I am not a big reader but I am a big dreamer so I find it therapeutic and it also keeps my mind sharp. Working on a few of them right now.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I have ideas constantly (several a day). I even begin to research them; I just don't follow through. That's what keeps me on this side of the tracks. I also find that I worry too much about what the news says rather than just doing what I think I should.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
What do you think about starting a separate thread where everybody can post ideas that he or she him-/herself will not use but that could be a source of inspiration for others here on this forum?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
What do you think about starting a separate thread where everybody can post ideas that he or she him-/herself will not use but that could be a source of inspiration for others here on this forum?

I think it's ok, I can share some easily..

One thing I do know now is that Richard Branson was correct - Business opportunities ARE like buses... there is always next one coming!!! And most likely, it's not only in business, the same happens in life...

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
I get ideas daily, I find I need to write them down or I mull the same idea over and over. After the idea is written down it clears the brain for the next idea to come along.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
I have ideas all the time. I cant wait to start having real income coming in so I can take these ideas and try them out!

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I have ideas all the time. I cant wait to start having real income coming in so I can take these ideas and try them out!

Why not start working on your ideas now? There is no promise of tomorrow.Take the first step and the next and the money will come. :thumbsup:

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
Why not start working on your ideas now? There is no promise of tomorrow.Take the first step and the next and the money will come. :thumbsup:

Because of money :(

The ideas I have could be rather cheap to create or distribute, but not enough income to promote a smart decision to go forward with it. Risk is to >

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Because of money :(

The ideas I have could be rather cheap to create or distribute, but not enough income to promote a smart decision to go forward with it. Risk is to >

Ok, do not take this as an insult or me being too harsh. I am just saying what I think will put you in the right position. Not having money is not an excuse. I built my prototype for under $5 and it looks like it was done by a professional. I have already begun talking with an attorney and a manufacturing/sales company that will help me bring my product to store shelves. I am on a tight budget, but I am confident that I will pull through and drive the fastlane. How do you know how many units your idea would sell? Here are a couple links that will help you, they sure as hell helped me. It does not take money to make money, it takes mindset. :fastlane:

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...8928-compilation-peter2-advice-must-read.html

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/mindset-motivation/20756-slowlane-gravity.html

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...-b-m/535-how-make-millions-selling-rocks.html

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Not having money is not an excuse.

I concur, I find my biggest issue to overcome is time and energy. Also the danger of multitasking I find I end up with 3 or 4 ideas running all at once and none get completed because a new one pops up so I abandoned one of the other ones and the cycle repeats.

I have been trying to focus on one idea and run it to ground. If it does not pan out at least I will get the learning experience to apply to the next idea.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
I concur, I find my biggest issue to overcome is time and energy. Also the danger of multitasking I find I end up with 3 or 4 ideas running all at once and none get completed because a new one pops up so I abandoned one of the other ones and the cycle repeats.

I have been trying to focus on one idea and run it to ground. If it does not pan out at least I will get the learning experience to apply to the next idea.
I used to have the same problem of having too many projects and not being able to finish any of them.
Therefore, at some point I decided that it was better to keep a smaller part of something with actual substance instead of having 100% of just an idea. So, I started to look for partners for the implementation of my ideas. I looked for partners (and I still do when I have a good idea) who could focus on turning that one idea into reality.
It works well.
So, Scout maybe you should look for people to help you instead of leaving your ideas to die on the shelf.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
I come up with several ideas a day! My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it pays the bills. lol Also, I have kind of adapted something to my ventures that Vince Lombardi said:

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."

I am going to be putting forth 150% effort on the next two business ventures I came up with last night. Nothing is going to stop me with these ones.

The train to success doesn't just stop and let you board, You have to run and sprint to catch up, then take that death defying leap and really grasp the rail. Then when you think your on your way, you still have to climb aboard, dodging obstacles and fighting through mobs of others trying to climb on. No one is going to be there to pull you up, you have to do it yourself.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
My main ideas are technology related, meaning I would have to purchase hardware, and hire some contract coders to help.

My first idea, the cost would be between $700-$750. I dont really consider that an excuse, because im not doing nothing at all.

I dont have to spend a lot to do computers, and im working with the vending machines and getting those going. I think its the smartest decision right now becuase those two could potentially give me the money needed to invest in my other ideas and do it right. I spend so much time planning these things out and looking at cost. I think I started planning the vending machines 6 months prior to even buying.

On the other side there is risk, just risk it and if it works all is well. But right now the risk of it failing is not worth the risk of other things in my life.

So, I see it less of an excuse and more of a smart business decision to hold of on that advancement until the proper funds are in place. I do see your point and I appreciate the good links.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I get ideas constantly for new businesses, investment opportunities, etc. Have to get them all on paper. I keep binders for the bigger ideas I have, like 1 for a company I am starting now, 1 for my husband's medical practice we will be starting soon, 1 for my real estate investment co, etc. I find that the big, fat 5-subject spiral notebooks work best for me. Then I can divide the company/project into other categories, like branding/marketing, financing, etc. Keeps all my info organized and accessible. Also chunks down a huge idea into bite sized chunks to take action on.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
All the freakin time. I find sometimes I need to forget them in order to continue focusing on the current 2 projects.

A just for fun exercise:

Go to some crowded place and find a place to sit, maybe make it look like you're listening to your ipod (hmm listening device disguised as ear buds for an ipod?) and just listen for people complaining and what they're complaining about. It won't take long to find someone who isn't complaining about family or friends. and just see how long it takes to come up with 10 ideas.

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
Go to some crowded place and find a place to sit, maybe make it look like you're listening to your ipod (hmm listening device disguised as ear buds for an ipod?) and just listen for people complaining and what they're complaining about. It won't take long to find someone who isn't complaining about family or friends. and just see how long it takes to come up with 10 ideas.

Great idea, I am going to try that soon. Sometimes I will search on twitter things like "I hate" and see what people have to say but I think you're idea will work even better. +++Speed!

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Great idea, I am going to try that soon. Sometimes I will search on twitter things like "I hate" and see what people have to say but I think you're idea will work even better. +++Speed!

I think a great place would be a college dining area during lunch. The twitter thought is good to! That one hadn't dawned on me, of course I'm still working on figuring out all the uses for Twitter. +++Speed to you as well.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Daily, sometimes hourly. You don't have to look far to see a need, once you keep your mind open.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.