The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much of your first million did you keep? (as you made it)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey everyone - would be interesting to see the different results on this.

As you made your first million (gross sales) how much of it do you manage to put aside and keep (or put into assets)?

I am curious about the percentage that just went right back into the business or got used up on living or business costs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I honestly can’t remember, I just know that I had very little lifestyle creep or upgrade, I saved most of the money, reinvested in the business, Or invested it in the the market… after I sold my first business, then I got pretty stupid, an economic downturn thrust me back to my senses.

I also should note that I learned very quickly that at quarterly tax time, If I didn’t have six figures liquidly laying around, I’d be screwed and couldn’t pay estimated taxes.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey everyone - would be interesting to see the different results on this.

As you made your first million (gross sales) how much of it do you manage to put aside and keep (or put into assets)?

I am curious about the percentage that just went right back into the business or got used up on living or business costs.
I reinvested every dime that I could get my hands on... I did the beans and rice thing in my personal life. And I borrowed more to shove more money into my RE projects. Business growth absorbs bucket-loads of capital. Each and every level takes a whole new investment strategy and funding.

And I've done it more than once. Stuff happened that was beyond my control. You know -- riots, divorce, deaths, market collapses, medical problems... as well as stuff that I could control like premature business expansions...

I can tell you this -- each time I have built my little kingdom, I have gotten better and faster at it. I'm a lot smarter and conservative today than I was when I started. I have identified a bunch of business bear-traps that I now know to avoid. I play the game much better these days.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
$1M gross would have been around $200k net and $130k after taxes. I remember I was making around that amount for a while that I was putting $100k into real estate every year for the first 3-4 years. So I probably was spending $30k/yr on living expenses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.