The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I sold a product worth $15 for 5 dollars? Can someone point out my mistakes?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Ayush6543

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2021
Hey I am ayush a 17 year old student from India. I was reading unscripted and this book has a huge impact on my life.
I have decided that I am gonna make $500, by the end of June.
To achieve this goal I decided to do freelancing and currently I am working with a client.
And as a side hustle I decided to sell my old items. To which I discovered that I had a portable Wi-Fi in my house that I haven't been using, so I decided to sell it, and from the last three days I am trying to sell it, and today I got a guy who was willing to pay me $5 and I tried to negotiate with him but he made a move which put the dice in his favour. He took the Wi-Fi put it inside his desk and brought out $5 which he kept it on the table, and I just don't know what happened to me I took it off and went away, only to realise afterwards that I compromised damn badly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Hey I am ayush a 17 year old student from India. I was reading unscripted and this book has a huge impact on my life.
To achieve this goal I decided to do freelancing and currently I am working with a client.
And as a side hustle I decided to sell my old items. To which I discovered that I had a portable Wi-Fi in my house that I haven't been using, so I decided to sell it, and from the last three days I am trying to sell it, and today I got a guy who was willing to pay me $5 and I tried to negotiate with him but he made a move which put the dice in his favour. He took the Wi-Fi put it inside his desk and brought out $5 which he kept it on the table, and I just don't know what happened to me I took it off and went away, only to realise afterwards that I compromised damn badly.
What do you need the $500 for?
You need to learn a skill that you can then monetise.

Selling what you own and don’t need is okay, but is not a steady source of income.

Ayush6543

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2021
What do you need the $500 for?
You need to learn a skill that you can then monetise.

Selling what you own and don’t need is okay, but is not a steady source of income.
Yeah, Right I am a programmer and as I mentioned I am currently working with a small business in my hometown and building a food delivery app for them.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
today I got a guy who was willing to pay me $5 and I tried to negotiate with him but he made a move which put the dice in his favour. He took the Wi-Fi put it inside his desk and brought out $5 which he kept it on the table, and I just don't know what happened to me I took it off and went away, only to realise afterwards that I compromised damn badly.
Your mistake was you should know by now that Indians are tough negotiators.

Take it as experience and move on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
You are programmer? Fine. Forget about the wifi and program an app! Sell it!
I d be happy to be a programmer! But I m no programmer and long time ago I was tricked, too. Several times.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Aug 13, 2018

Let's pinpoint what you are trying to solve.

There are a few layers to what just happened here.

Persuasion. He persuaded you to go his way, instead of you persuading him to go your way.

Negotiation. You were asking one price, and he successfully negotiated you down to his price.

Sales. You were selling an item, and he bought, but not at a price you liked.

Standing your ground. You were the one who backed down. It doesn't feel good after the fact.

All of these things come with practice.

Round 1 - you identified that you are missing some skills in these areas.

Round 2 - maybe you do some study on these topics to strengthen your knowledge and form a plan for how you'll react next time.

Round 3 - maybe you offer something else for sale and it goes better next time.

Suggestion: Read Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss.

This book will give you a lot of the principles that you were missing in this situation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.