The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I make to-do lists

Idea threads

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The to-do list is how shit gets done. It doesn't matter if you are starting your first business at 17 or make 30 million a year, you still need to wake up and get shit done.

My life makes NO progress unless I'm making lists and crossing it off each day. Period.

Here's how I make my list.

1. Buy one of these or something you prefer. A small notepad.
1712768027013.jpeg
2. I take it up to bed each night, I sit in low light and dump everything that needs to be done onto the page. No order. I usually have 500 things to do so I only write out the emergencies and any I don't want to forget I put on the next page for the next day.

3. Here's the unique part. Many of these things can only be done during business hours. Some can only be done when I'm out running errands. Some can be done alone on the computer outside of business hours.

I group them by these restrictions. I label ones that need to be done in person with a letter that lets me know which city I'll be doing it in. I label the business hours ones "bh". And I give a star to ones that can be done any time.

Then, at the bottom of the page, I write down something like "3*-2BH-3P-2BH-3*"

This tells me I need to bang out 3 tasks that can be done any time, so I do it early in the morning.
Then, I have to do 2 tasks that can only be done during business hours.
Then, I go run my 3 in-person errands.
Then, I do 2 more business hours tasks.
Finally, I do 3 more any time tasks at night.

I can pick any of them but what matters is they are categorized by their limitations.

Don't do things during business hours if they can be done any time. Don't go do one in person thing and then have to do another later.

This helps me break up my day into bite sized chunks so I don't get messed up trying to do 50 things at once and not doing anything.

4. Finally, don't put dumb shit in there. Don't put trivial stupid easy things on your list. Put the big important things on there and do them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MT MAINA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 10, 2024
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The to-do list is how shit gets done. It doesn't matter if you are starting your first business at 17 or make 30 million a year, you still need to wake up and get shit done.

My life makes NO progress unless I'm making lists and crossing it off each day. Period.

Here's how I make my list.

1. Buy one of these or something you prefer. A small notepad.
View attachment 55294
2. I take it up to bed each night, I sit in low light and dump everything that needs to be done onto the page. No order. I usually have 500 things to do so I only write out the emergencies and any I don't want to forget I put on the next page for the next day.

3. Here's the unique part. Many of these things can only be done during business hours. Some can only be done when I'm out running errands. Some can be done alone on the computer outside of business hours.

I group them by these restrictions. I label ones that need to be done in person with a letter that lets me know which city I'll be doing it in. I label the business hours ones "bh". And I give a star to ones that can be done any time.

Then, at the bottom of the page, I write down something like "3*-2BH-3P-2BH-3*"

This tells me I need to bang out 3 tasks that can be done any time, so I do it early in the morning.

I can pick any of them but what matters is they are categorized by their limitations.

Don't do things during business hours if they can be done any time. Don't go do one in person thing and then have to do another later.

This helps me break up my day into bite sized chunks so I don't get messed up trying to do 50 things at once and not doing anything.

4. Finally, don't put dumb shit in there. Don't put trivial stupid easy things on your list. Put the big important things on there and do them.
Thanks for sharing John

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Dec 5, 2020
Your method is a bit to oldschool for me as I use Asana to easily give tasks to my team members.

But point 4 Is spot on and actually all you need. Especially the last two words…

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Your method is a bit to oldschool for me as I use Asana to easily give tasks to my team members.

But point 4 Is spot on and actually all you need. Especially the last two words…
I also have notion and Todoist and whimsical flowcharts and many projects

This is for todo lists for me to do things each day. Everything in my life.

This has nothing to do for delegating projects. I have a notion dashboard for employees based on their roles.

IMG_6731.png

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Dec 5, 2020

This has nothing to do for delegating projects. I have a notion dashboard for employees based on their roles.

View attachment 55297
From what I can see on the forum your business runs quite organized. Does that come from you or do you have a star player in the team that helps you with this?

There is still so much room for improving this in my business, but I don’t have people that excel in this. And I’m the last person that’s able to sit down and do this shit. Even the most basic stuff is not automated. Think I just added a new thing to my todo list.. > Hire new operational manager

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
From what I can see on the forum your business runs quite organized. Does that come from you or do you have a star player in the team that helps you with this?

There is still so much room for improving this in my business, but I don’t have people that excel in this. And I’m the last person that’s able to sit down and do this shit. Even the most basic stuff is not automated. Think I just added a new thing to my todo list.. > Hire new operational manager
It’s me. Your business is always a reflection of your mind.

We are quite disorganized because I was foolish and prioritized my own will, my own rest, my own pleasure, above what I should have done, which would’ve been to be a servant and fulfill my fiduciary duties I had to my own dreams and to others.

We are getting much much more organized every day because for the last few months I have been changing in my own life to deprioritize my own will, and to instead be a servant as I always should have been.

Now I’m dialing things in for real. I dumped my girl, I’m up at 6 and in bed by 10. I follow my diet. I don’t drink. No more caffeine. No adderall. Gym 4x a week and a morning run. And from eyes open to close I am banging out a to-do list. Until I am not disgusted with my lack of progress. My friends own businesses, they know I don’t want to be bothered until summer.

It feels so good.

You should not hire someone.

Employees follow directions.

You must create the directions. If you want someone to help, they themselves must have clear directions at the very least.

The more conscientious and orderly you are, the better, when it comes to scaling a business and running it properly.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hire new operational manager
I believed once that this is what I needed. After 18 months of looking for "the one", I made a hire and paid them $120k a year.

And it almost put me out of business. (not the $120k, but me taking my eye off the ball for a year as the operations ran into the ground).

And it wasn't that person's fault. I had set them up for failure by handing them a hot mess.

So after laying off that person, and half of the rest of the staff to right the ship, I decided that I needed to become an operator, and forced myself to get organized. Create SOPs. Manage teams/projects. And manage myself.

I'm not 100% at this. Some weeks are better than others. I'm learning as I go. But all weeks are better than when I was abdicating responsibility to others.

Create the system first, then plug people into it. Not vice versa.

There is still so much room for improving this in my business, but I don’t have people that excel in this. And I’m the last person that’s able to sit down and do this shit. Even the most basic stuff is not automated.

Go spend 6 hours watching videos on the Fastcap youtube channel. Then read his book, 2 Second Lean. I think it will help.

It will reframe your mind around how easy it actually is to create operational improvements and will give you a mindset shift and framework for doing so.

Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I believed once that this is what I needed. After 18 months of looking for "the one", I made a hire and paid them $120k a year.

And it almost put me out of business. (not the $120k, but me taking my eye off the ball for a year as the operations ran into the ground).

And it wasn't that person's fault. I had set them up for failure by handing them a hot mess.

So after laying off that person, and half of the rest of the staff to right the ship, I decided that I needed to become an operator, and forced myself to get organized. Create SOPs. Manage teams/projects. And manage myself.

I'm not 100% at this. Some weeks are better than others. I'm learning as I go. But all weeks are better than when I was abdicating responsibility to others.

Create the system first, then plug people into it. Not vice versa.

Go spend 6 hours watching videos on the Fastcap youtube channel. Then read his book, 2 Second Lean. I think it will help.

It will reframe your mind around how easy it actually is to create operational improvements and will give you a mindset shift and framework for doing so.
Paul Akers on YouTube is great. Simple LEAN thinking with major impact over time. And it works in any business, not just manufacturing like Fastcap. 'Fix what bugs you.'

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Some gold here @Johnny boy love it. Great job lately man.

I too need to spill my mind on my notes. Most progress is made when I do. And when I relax on the notes, progress absolutely slows.

@MJ DeMarco give this notable status already. More people need to know how powerful something so simple can be.

Those reading. Don't think this is too easy to matter. It's important.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Damn you have a lot of tasks buddy. I usually have 2-3 MAX every day. Everything else is probably too small to go on there.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Damn you have a lot of tasks buddy. I usually have 2-3 MAX every day. Everything else is probably too small to go on there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.