The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I Made My First Dollar Freelancing

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Actually, how I made my first $415 freelancing (on Upwork).

A few weeks ago, I posted on the forum after losing my job. I had been fired from my first job out of college, and I didn't really know what to do. I was stuck in my dreams of being in the Fastlane after finding TMF , but I needed to find a way to survive. I didn't want to get another job, I don't do well working in a corporate setting. So, I thought about the multitude of things I could do to live while I developed my Fastlane business. I thought and thought and thought. I thought, read, and learned some more. Then I just decided to take that leap. I turned to freelancing. I have skills that I can use to my advantage, so why not? And after a few days of working up the courage to get going, I built my profile and started filling out proposals. Here's how I made my first dollar:

I built my profile. This is the first step. Nothing too special, just highlight what your skills are, how you do them well, and why you can provide value for your client. I also recommend completing at least a few of the skills tests Upwork provides to grade your skills in particular areas. They are very useful in proving specific skills to clients.

After that, I submitted 10 total proposals on Tuesday morning. Here are those proposals:

UpworkJobAppList.png

I submitted an application for anything as simple as Data Entry, to creating a basic program using a programming language I learned in college. Either way, I was just trying to get a job, even if it was simple, within my scope of expertise. After I filled out my 7th application, I received my first message to inquire further about me completing a job for the client. That was a great feeling! I then received 2 more inquiries after that.

UpworkMessages.png

After receiving those messages, I responded like this:

Client 1
Response1.png
Client 2
Response2.png
Client 3
Response3.png

Client #1 never responded, client #2 cancelled his job, and client #3 hired me. $200 job. Landed. And after turning in the work, I landed another $140 job that I finished today. And another job after turning in that job ($75). Grand total of $415 for about 3 full days of work. Not too bad! So how exactly did I do it?

1) I actually submitted job applications. And quite a few of them. I probably would have submitted more, but by the time I had submitted my 10th application, I had already landed the first job. Search for things you know how to do that match your skill set. It can literally be anything that you know how to do. Get creative in your searches, and find something unique.
2) I searched for the newest jobs. You have a much higher chance of landing a job that was just posted 2 minutes ago versus a job that was posted a week ago. It just makes sense. Use the filter tool to find the newest jobs within your search criteria.
3) I responded to the message I got about my application very quickly. The quickest I responded was 3 minutes, and the longest it took me to respond was 18 minutes. I landed the job that took me 3 minutes to respond to. If you're applying for another job while you get a message, reply to the message before you finish your new application. This is going to help you get the gig, because this shows you are going to reply quickly when you are hired, and it shows you are reliable.
4) I sent engaging applications. Below is the one that landed me the job:

Application.png

This application is not perfect, but what did I do well? I told the poster why they should hire me, when I can have the job done, and I asked relevant questions. These are all key things that should be in every application you submit. I also spoke about the elephant in the room -- I didn't have any ratings yet. Some people really care about this, but if you can come across as competent, professional, and willing to work hard for them, most clients will hire you if you say the right things.

5) I sent in a price offer lower than the proposed budget. This is good for your first job (or two). This allows you to more easily compete with other freelancers on price, and it shows goodwill to the client that you are willing to sacrifice a bit of pay on your first few jobs to get some jobs under your belt and increase your rating.

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 9.03.02 PM.png

6) Even after the initial response to my message, I asked a ton of questions. This shows interest. It warrants a response from the client, and it helps you land the job.

I got hired! I was ecstatic and excited to be working on my own terms from my own home, while still being able to work on my Fastlane life on the side. So now you're probably wondering: where is the other $215 job and how did you get those follow up gigs? Simple!

1) I completed the initial job I was hired for on time as promised. I met the clients deadline, and I did what I said I would. You'd be surprised how few freelancers actually do that, and that means you're providing true value to your client.

2) I sent the client updates. When requested, at major milestones, and at the end of the night before bed. You may not be able to do this all the time with every project, especially with a very simple one, but communicate with the client! They want to know what's going on, so if you inform them and are in touch with them, they will appreciate you more.

3) I provided high quality work. The client gave me a small example of what he was looking for at the start of the project, and the rest was up to me to complete. In order to make sure I was on the right track, I submitted a quick example/update about an hour into the project. The client sent great feedback, and said I was doing great. From there, I just continued with my work and completed the project. But not only that, I added an extra part to the project that I felt would help the client make better conclusions, and sum up the work I did. He loved it. Add something extra, do something that makes sense for the client, and they will appreciate the extra time you put in.

4) I promised to fix and edit anything to the client's liking before accepting payment. This is huge, and provides a ton of value, even if it takes you a little bit longer to complete. The client is satisfied, and is most likely going to either hire you for more work, or give you an awesome rating (or both!).

I didn't even have to ask for more work, he just posted another milestone and gave me another job! Easy money.

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 9.10.14 PM.png

And now, after completing that second job using the same techniques, I landed a third (smaller) job from the same client this evening!

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 9.11.02 PM.png

$415. All made from one application. And sure, I may have been lucky with this client in particular. But you can only get lucky if you put yourself out there. Now, I can use the great feedback I am going to get from this client to land my next client. And my next. And my next. And soon enough, I have work flowing in from all places, and I'm getting paid a higher rate. So there you have it, how I made my first dollar on Upwork.

One more thing: Dare to be great, and take action. It really goes a long way.

Post your experiences, recommendations, lessons learned, and questions below. Freelance on!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

fenomenoh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 10, 2015
Great job mate, thinking of doing the same thing. How is it going? Have u got more projects now?

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Great job mate, thinking of doing the same thing. How is it going? Have u got more projects now?

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk
Thank you! I have finished all of the initial work, and have spent most of the day today moving into my new place, so I am going to start looking for new work tomorrow morning. I will keep this thread updated on my progress

aks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 16, 2015
1) I completed the initial job I was hired for on time as promised. I met the clients deadline, and I did what I said I would. You'd be surprised how few freelancers actually do that, and that means you're providing true value to your client.

2) I sent the client updates. When requested, at major milestones, and at the end of the night before bed. You may not be able to do this all the time with every project, especially with a very simple one, but communicate with the client! They want to know what's going on, so if you inform them and are in touch with them, they will appreciate you more.

3) I provided high quality work. The freelancer gave me a small example of what he was looking for at the start of the project, and the rest was up to me to complete. In order to make sure I was on the right track, I submitted a quick example/update about an hour into the project. The client sent great feedback, and said I was doing great. From there, I just continued with my work and completed the project. But not only that, I added an extra part to the project that I felt would help the client make better conclusions, and sum up the work I did. He loved it. Add something extra, do something that makes sense for the client, and they will appreciate the extra time you put in.

4) I promised to fix and edit anything to the client's liking before accepting payment. This is huge, and provides a ton of value, even if it takes you a little bit longer to complete. The client is satisfied, and is most likely going to either hire you for more work, or give you an awesome rating (or both!).
Gold nugget!

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
Hey man, upwork seems to be falling apart.

Am I the only one experiencing it? Probably not, because when I wanted to enter live chat there were more than 30 people ahead of me and I would had to wait hours in order to talk to someone.

The problem is this:
I can't see my proposals, and I can't see other people's proposals either.

But it seems like the proposals reach the clients and they see them. Why do I think that? Here is a screenshot:

Capture.PNG

It has been going on for days... I hope that upwork will fix the problem ASAP.

btw: Commandment of Control ;)

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Hey man, upwork seems to be falling apart.

Am I the only one experiencing it? Probably not, because when I wanted to enter live chat there were more than 30 people ahead of me and I would had to wait hours in order to talk to someone.

The problem is this:
I can't see my proposals, and I can't see other people's proposals either.

But it seems like the proposals reach the clients and they see them. Why do I think that? Here is a screenshot:

View attachment 10339

It has been going on for days... I hope that upwork will fix the problem ASAP.

btw: Commandment of Control ;)
They have had some issues recently that my client and I both noticed. I am hoping this will get fixed. And you're very right, commandment of control is very much missing with Upwork, but we are all striving to get away from that eventually. Cheers to the Fastlane!

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Quick update: I finished the last $75 dollar job the client hired me for, and he doesn't have any more work for me this week. I added an extra conclusion piece to the job, and made sure everything was as uniform as possible. He closed the job, and left this awesome feedback:

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 11.51.08 PM.png

This just makes me smile. To top it all off, my client was so great to work with, he left me a $25 tip, and he is going to rehire me once he puts the rest of the work together for me to complete. In the meantime, I am going to use this review to my advantage to get my next job tomorrow. One step at a time!

It's simple: provide value, see results. And on to the next one!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for sharing, My profile on Upwork was finally approved last week, so now I have to apply for some gigs and get them done well.

Thanks for sharing your experience I will refer back to it when submitting proposals, Cheers!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Some quick questions, please answer if possible.

1. Did you only apply for jobs with a project length of Hours or Days?

2. Around how much did you put as your hourly rate? ( seems like there is a lot of competition with very cheap/low rates.)

Cheers!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Sorry another question.

I only have a payment option of VISA, would you know if PayPal is preferred as a payment option or if it will negatively affect me if I dont have a paypal option up?

I want to put it up, in fact I will right now, only thing is I am currently living in Taiwan and whenever I indicate my current location the paypal page is displayed all in Chinese! ( I can't read it)

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
Sorry another question.

I only have a payment option of VISA, would you know if PayPal is preferred as a payment option or if it will negatively affect me if I dont have a paypal option up?

I want to put it up, in fact I will right now, only thing is I am currently living in Taiwan and whenever I indicate my current location the paypal page is displayed all in Chinese! ( I can't read it)

You can use the "Edit" function to edit your posts. You can find it at the bottom of each post.

I use "Local Funds Transfer" and it worked perfectly for me so far. Paypal is not necessary to use, neither recommended. You can use any method that's available to you.

So no, not using Paypal won't affect you negatively.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
OK Thanks @Mr. L

What is the difference between Billing Methods and Get Paid?

On billing method I put my my visa option and on get paid it has my paypal listed which I might've put up before when it was still odesk.

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
Billing Methods: It's for buying memberships and connects on upwork. You PAY with this method.
Get Paid: This is for getting paid.

If you have further questions then use google and/or ask me in private. Let's not hijack this thread ;)

Hope I helped.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Nice progress. If you want to get higher paid jobs a great way is to move the "budget meter" to your left after a search. Then you can filter on only high paying jobs and apply for those. They are a little harder to complete, but the reward is much greater. Worth a shot.

Karl619

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 4, 2015
Thank you for posting this. I think this is rather inspirational and shows that anyone no matter what their experience can set up as a freelancer with relative ease. As long as you are ensuring that you are being genuinely helpful and providing value then you get hired! I have just finished my profile and it has been accepted so I am going to get off my a$$ and apply for some jobs myself.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Some quick questions, please answer if possible.

1. Did you only apply for jobs with a project length of Hours or Days?

2. Around how much did you put as your hourly rate? ( seems like there is a lot of competition with very cheap/low rates.)

Cheers!
1. I applied for anything I could get: Anything from a $25 job to a $200 job. The $25 job probably would have taken me around 2 hours, the $200 job took me 2 days. It really just depends on what your skills are and what the jobs surrounding your skills entail as far as a time commitment. Data entry jobs are usually shorter jobs, whereas custom programming and web development jobs can take a little bit longer. Again, it all depends on your skill set and what jobs you are applying for. My recommendation? Use the keywords that relate to your skills to search for the most recent jobs, and apply for whatever you can find for your first few. Once you start landing jobs, you can gauge which ones are worth it and which ones aren't.

2. Hourly Rates only really matter if a Freelancer is hiring you from searching for you. Your posted hourly rate is more of a guideline than anything, because when you apply for a job, you set the rate that you would be willing to do the job for, which can be edited. If it's a fixed rate job, the client will post what their budget is (i.e. my client posted $220 for the first job I applied to), and then you will pick what you can do the job for (i.e. I sent my application with a fixed rate of $200, a $20 discount from the budget of the client). As mentioned above in my first post, this is a good way to let the client know that you realize you are still new, and are willing to sacrifice a bit of pay to do a good job. You will ALWAYS have competition with low rates, that is standard. You will always have people from different countries that can do the work for cheaper than you. But that doesn't really matter. All you need to do is find clients that have their budgets set for "Intermediate" and "Expert" levels, rather than "Entry level". This means the client is willing to pay more for a higher skilled individual, or one that matches a very specific set of credentials. And a lot of times, those freelancers that have the cheaper rates ($5 and lower) will not meet those requirements. So don't worry about rate too much because if you can compete with those freelancers on skill level, you will have no problem destroying them and landing the jobs. To go back to your original question: I would set it around the average of what the going rate is for people with your skill set. Do a little bit of research on jobs that companies hire for people with your skills, and see what they pay their employees. You can also search on Upwork signed out and see what other freelancers are charging that have similar skill sets to you. What would you want to be paid for the quality of work you provide and the talent you bring to the table? That's really the question you have to answer.

Hope this helps!

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Nice progress. If you want to get higher paid jobs a great way is to move the "budget meter" to your left after a search. Then you can filter on only high paying jobs and apply for those. They are a little harder to complete, but the reward is much greater. Worth a shot.
Thank you! I was actually just doing that this morning. Filtering out those low paying clients helps a ton in conserving your number of connects. Cheers!

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you for posting this. I think this is rather inspirational and shows that anyone no matter what their experience can set up as a freelancer with relative ease. As long as you are ensuring that you are being genuinely helpful and providing value then you get hired! I have just finished my profile and it has been accepted so I am going to get off my a$$ and apply for some jobs myself.
"Action is the foundational key to all success."
-Pablo Picasso

I'm glad it's inspiring! Get out there and kill it today!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks @Will Hodge so you have been successfully paid a few times upon completing fixed rate?

As obviously it is more risky, guess we just have to check their previous ratings/review or just take a risk.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Thanks @Will Hodge so you have been successfully paid a few times upon completing fixed rate?

As obviously it is more risky, guess we just have to check their previous ratings/review or just take a risk.
Well, how the payment works is outlined here:

https://support.upwork.com/forums/21734753-Getting-Paid

To go along with this, you are able to see whether or not the client has both:
A) Good ratings from freelancers and
B) An approved payment method that has already been charged.

These two things together basically guarantee that you will get paid. There's also a review and appeal process as well that you can go through, and those things are also outlined in the link above. The best way to go about guaranteeing your jobs will be paid properly and on time are:
1) Get clients who have ratings and payment methods verified
2) And get the job done with high quality and on time.

I haven't experienced first hand any issues with payment yet, so I can't say much on that front other than just providing you the link and giving you the best advice on how to complete the projects well. Follow those guidelines and you should be well on your way to surviving on Upwork

Last edited:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Do you send out your CV/Resume with each submission of a proposal?

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Do you send out your CV/Resume with each submission of a proposal?
I do not, personally. My mindset is people don't really want to read a resume. If they want to know what you have done, they will just click your profile and read through that. What they are really interested in is what experience you have that relates to their project and what value you can provide to them. I always just make sure write up a custom "cover letter" section that I showed above in the first post, include any keywords they want you to say in that section (i.e. "Write the answer to ten plus twelve at the beginning of the proposal so I know you have read it"), write up a good "why you should hire me" part, and answer any additional questions that they require you to answer with the application. This has helped me get responses so far on jobs I qualify for

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Just thinking out loud here. Since it's my thread, hell, why not:

I have noticed I am getting declined on basic data entry jobs pretty quickly. I think there are two reasons for that:

1) I am not competitive at all on price. Overseas freelancers are killing me in the $3-6/hr range, and I think data entry jobs are on that low skill level where clients really don't need the higher rated work done. I have even tried to lower my rate to $8-10/hr, but still no luck
2) I don't meet some of the "100+ logged hours" requirements some of the clients have. I'm not sure if this is all it has to do with, but this could be a red flag for some people (they get a notification automatically saying I don't match that requirement), so they could just automatically decline it right off the bat
3) I haven't sent any example work yet (I can't send the work I just completed because of the sensitive information, and I haven't created any samples myself)

I have received 2 inquiries since sending in another 10 applications, but no new jobs yet. I think the next steps for me to land my next job are to:
1) Come up with some sample work that I can send to clients. This will help me show potential clients my skills so that I can more easily prove I am capable of the job
2) Focus my applications away from simple data entry jobs -- simply because of rate. I need to remember, even though I have one satisfied client, I am competing with freelancers who have 100 satisfied clients. Take it one step at a time, and continue to sacrifice rate for work until I have enough clients under my belt to charge a more premium rate
3) Start to not bother with applications that have 100+ hour requirements, and stick with clients that are looking for Intermediate or Expert work done, not Entry level. The clients without the 100+ hour requirements are less likely to immediately dismiss my app, and the clients looking for Intermediate/Expert work are more likely to be able to pay more for a more premium receivable

I only have 20 free connects left, so I am going to have to spend them wisely!

Motley crue

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 28, 2015
Portland, ME

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Hey everyone, just thought i'd share a helpful thread I ran across a few weeks ago by sinsterlex. It has some great advice but I think the most helpful piece in his thread was his explaining how to write an application that gets you more work. anyway here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ith-no-degree-no-feedback-no-portfolio.58837/
@SinisterLex was definitely inspiration for me. Gotta give him credit for his thread, thanks for linking!

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Actually, how I made my first $415 freelancing (on Upwork).

A few weeks ago, I posted on the forum after losing my job. I had been fired from my first job out of college, and I didn't really know what to do. I was stuck in my dreams of being in the Fastlane after finding TMF , but I needed to find a way to survive. I didn't want to get another job, I don't do well working in a corporate setting. So, I thought about the multitude of things I could do to live while I developed my Fastlane business. I thought and thought and thought. I thought, read, and learned some more. Then I just decided to take that leap. I turned to freelancing. I have skills that I can use to my advantage, so why not? And after a few days of working up the courage to get going, I built my profile and started filling out proposals. Here's how I made my first dollar:

I built my profile. This is the first step. Nothing too special, just highlight what your skills are, how you do them well, and why you can provide value for your client. I also recommend completing at least a few of the skills tests Upwork provides to grade your skills in particular areas. They are very useful in proving specific skills to clients.

After that, I submitted 10 total proposals on Tuesday morning. Here are those proposals:

View attachment 10326

I submitted an application for anything as simple as Data Entry, to creating a basic program using a programming language I learned in college. Either way, I was just trying to get a job, even if it was simple, within my scope of expertise. After I filled out my 7th application, I received my first message to inquire further about me completing a job for the client. That was a great feeling! I then received 2 more inquiries after that.

View attachment 10322

After receiving those messages, I responded like this:

Client 1
View attachment 10327
Client 2
View attachment 10328
Client 3
View attachment 10329

Client #1 never responded, client #2 cancelled his job, and client #3 hired me. $200 job. Landed. And after turning in the work, I landed another $140 job that I finished today. And another job after turning in that job ($75). Grand total of $415 for about 3 full days of work. Not too bad! So how exactly did I do it?

1) I actually submitted job applications. And quite a few of them. I probably would have submitted more, but by the time I had submitted my 10th application, I had already landed the first job. Search for things you know how to do that match your skill set. It can literally be anything that you know how to do. Get creative in your searches, and find something unique.
2) I searched for the newest jobs. You have a much higher chance of landing a job that was just posted 2 minutes ago versus a job that was posted a week ago. It just makes sense. Use the filter tool to find the newest jobs within your search criteria.
3) I responded to the message I got about my application very quickly. The quickest I responded was 3 minutes, and the longest it took me to respond was 18 minutes. I landed the job that took me 3 minutes to respond to. If you're applying for another job while you get a message, reply to the message before you finish your new application. This is going to help you get the gig, because this shows you are going to reply quickly when you are hired, and it shows you are reliable.
4) I sent engaging applications. Below is the one that landed me the job:

View attachment 10330

This application is not perfect, but what did I do well? I told the poster why they should hire me, when I can have the job done, and I asked relevant questions. These are all key things that should be in every application you submit. I also spoke about the elephant in the room -- I didn't have any ratings yet. Some people really care about this, but if you can come across as competent, professional, and willing to work hard for them, most clients will hire you if you say the right things.

5) I sent in a price offer lower than the proposed budget. This is good for your first job (or two). This allows you to more easily compete with other freelancers on price, and it shows goodwill to the client that you are willing to sacrifice a bit of pay on your first few jobs to get some jobs under your belt and increase your rating.

View attachment 10331

6) Even after the initial response to my message, I asked a ton of questions. This shows interest. It warrants a response from the client, and it helps you land the job.

I got hired! I was ecstatic and excited to be working on my own terms from my own home, while still being able to work on my Fastlane life on the side. So now you're probably wondering: where is the other $215 job and how did you get those follow up gigs? Simple!

3) I provided high quality work. The client gave me a small example of what he was looking for at the start of the project, and the rest was up to me to complete. In order to make sure I was on the right track, I submitted a quick example/update about an hour into the project. The client sent great feedback, and said I was doing great. From there, I just continued with my work and completed the project. But not only that, I added an extra part to the project that I felt would help the client make better conclusions, and sum up the work I did. He loved it. Add something extra, do something that makes sense for the client, and they will appreciate the extra time you put in.

I didn't even have to ask for more work, he just posted another milestone and gave me another job! Easy money.

View attachment 10332

And now, after completing that second job using the same techniques, I landed a third (smaller) job from the same client this evening!

View attachment 10333

$415. All made from one application. And sure, I may have been lucky with this client in particular. But you can only get lucky if you put yourself out there. Now, I can use the great feedback I am going to get from this client to land my next client. And my next. And my next. And soon enough, I have work flowing in from all places, and I'm getting paid a higher rate. So there you have it, how I made my first dollar on Upwork.

One more thing: Dare to be great, and take action. It really goes a long way.

Post your experiences, recommendations, lessons learned, and questions below. Freelance on!

Right on Will Robinson Hodge!!!

Can't say I am surprised however, I knew you had it in you from day one.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Yeah @Will Hodge I haven't applied for anymore entry level gigs, only searching for mid and higher now.

Like you said it is harder to compete with all the low-ballers who have racked up the hours and are satisfied with their low pay rates and will not raise them.

I'm sticking to jobs per hour and taking time to find suitable matches and strong applications if possible.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Right on Will Robinson Hodge!!!

Can't say I am surprised however, I knew you had it in you from day one.
Thank you! And thanks for the rep. Now it's all about moving into the Fastlane!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.