The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I made $4,000 in 3 months By Executing HARD

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
When you have purpose behind you, you become unstoppable. All it takes is patience and constant improvement. Produce more than you consume.

AMEN brother! The same transformation happened to me when I went from being "just" an employee to beginning to build my own dream. Your mindset opens doors you never knew existed, and you will never be the same again!

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
Finally home and relaxing on the couch after one of the busiest past few weeks of my life.

Worked 2, 80 hour weeks back to back at workand shot 3 videos this weekend.

One thing I've been thinking about lately is figuring out how to scale this business where it's not solely dependent on me. It is going to be a tough process because I have always been very hands on with everything and also finding people that will be up to my standards. I dont want this to be another job where im jumping from gig to gig wondering where my next check will come from.

I know I am not even close to the point where I can begin to scale but it has been I'm the back of my mind lately.

Best way I can think to start outsourcing/scaling up is once I start niching down into weddings I can start refining the process of sales/marketing and shooting the film. Then start bringing people with me and get them to the point where they can make it 100% independently. Then do that with every process of selling and creating a wedding film.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016
Another thing that I realized this morning...

I am at work right now pulling an over time shift...I work as a Janitor.

As I was cleaning a few toilets I noticed something...

I was actually enjoying it!

Not in a weird way where I love to clean or something like that...but because of my video business success so far and how bright the future looks, I dont mind it!

I used to dread going to work, and dread every second of this job because I had no way out. It was a dead end with no chance of ever becoming something more.

I know that by putting in extra time and earning extra money I can put it towards my business and essentially work my way out of this job. It's a great feeling!

I finally have a Why. A reason to do what I do.

Or a few reasons...

1. I want to quit my job and be free.
2. I dont want to ever worry about money.
3. I want to be able to travel on a moments notice
4. I want to pay off my house and have no outstanding bills.
5. I want to invest in real estate
6. I want to help people around me and live in abundance
7. I want to help people.

When you have purpose behind you, you become unstoppable. All it takes is patience and constant improvement. Produce more than you consume.

Keep producing!

No stopping until im free...

Until then im back to cleaning toilets.

This is what I needed to hear and probably the most important nugget in the thread. I forgot my "whys" and I have not been as productive as I should have been in the past 2 weeks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
I really like the idea of creating a resellable training video for restaurants or shooting depositions. I can definitely see the scalability in selling training videos that save time and money and liability issues. Thank you for the insight. Looking into how to book my first client now

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
Love it! Thank you for opening your Video Work chapter and reading it aloud for us here! Great insight and something I can start using immediately.

What made you move on from doing video production?

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Not one bit. I'm so glad to be of help. If I don't help you then all that I went through will be wasted. Passing things on to try to help someone makes my work worthwhile. It makes it mean something. So thank YOU for that opportunity.

And I must add that it is indeed rare to find someone like you that is going to do what it takes to be successful. It does my heart good to be of some kind of assistance to someone like you.

In the years that I did video work, I was, and still am today, surprised that nobody wanted to tap into my experience. What I wouldn't give for someone to talk to that already was doing that work and had things figured out. But no - nobody caught "the fire." Still, to this day, I know a lot about a few things that could be extremely valuable to someone - but, um, well, not today - kind of busy - I'll keep it in mind though. And on they go, dealing with their pitiful crappy job, wondering why they have a pitiful crappy life that barely pays the bills. Someone should write a book about that - hey MJ did! My point exactly!

So now you see how refreshing it is to ME to see someone like you taking this head on. Dreams never die, they just are added to as you go along. It's like video work is chapter 12 in the book of my life, and it is a privilege for me to relive that. I'm now in another chapter, but I am a sum of all my parts. Even though I don't do video at the moment, it is still a part of who I am. It has made me a better person. You will draw on the experience, skills, and confidence that you are building right now, for the rest of your life, even if you don't do video work in the future.

One more thing - I always included a customer survey when I delivered the videos. I still have all of those. They are among my most treasured possessions. It is so gratifying to have someone write that what I did really mattered, and I am very talented. You never get tired of that, and if they bash you, well now you know what to do to improve. You will not only use them for marketing, of course, but they will nourish your soul and tell you that you are doing something important. And you certainly are.

Taking advantage of your massive experience, what do you say about producing promo clips for products/goods?

Some homework that I did.

Steve Jobs brags a lot on benefit-centric commercial in this legendary video.
Whereas Microsoft did the opposite. It's a product-centric commercials.

Regardless of product superiority, do you (and anyone viewing this thread) have anything to say?

PS:
1. I'm just clarifying what benefit-centric and product-centric is all about using Apple and Microsoft commercials. Bear in mind that, both companies uses those two elements in their commercials.
2. Apologies if my post doesn't expose the 'give and take' mentality.

Great job, ChaseFade, BTW.

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
good job man, you should be proud no doubt indeed.
keep it up.
entertainment is something people will always need. you found a great way to fill that in. best wishes
Thank you!

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
This man is a god damn beast. Congrats on your hustle. I'll be name dropping you when you are producing 50 cent's new video.
That would be incredible! Haha I'm such a big fan.

I truly appreciate the kind words!

G

GUEST417

Perfect example of just figuring crap out. You are being spread out amongst tons I avenues right now, soon you will find your niche and BLOW.

Love the hustle. I think I should share my similar story soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For anyone else interested in the future, they also rent camera equipment.

Don't forget about small business commercials or ads for social media. I know a guy that made his own very cool commercial with his drone for his lawn care business. Most small businesses don't realize they can have a video made for so cheap. Good job!!!

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
For anyone else interested in the future, they also rent camera equipment.

Don't forget about small business commercials or ads for social media. I know a guy that made his own very cool commercial with his drone for his lawn care business. Most small businesses don't realize they can have a video made for so cheap. Good job!!!
Definitely! I rent lenses constantly and rent cameras that I am looking to get in the future. Only $25 to rent a lens for the weekend is a great way to get the shots you need without buying the entire thing

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
Fantastic post man! That mentality switch you had (your FTE) sounds like it kicked you into high gear and you made the most of it.

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
Mostly procedural videos, and patient training videos for post-surgical recovery routines.

With such clients, if they haven't contacted you themselves, it requires more finesse.
You would have to research their practice and see where visual-media content comes in.

At that point, you can pitch them on either streamlining existing media needs, or offering something new.

It could be video documentation. It could be editing of video documentation, if involved procedures won't permit third-party presence etc. These are things you'll find when researching their practice.

You will generally have more success with people in private practice than large hospitals, for instance. Gotta work your way up.

I post classified ads in a few places, and get contacted by people and businesses from all walks of life.
Try doing that, and it starts moving you closer to cherry picking your clients.
This all depends on your copy, and what you can show them after your copy motivates them to contact you.

Also, don't forget you can offer editing services as stand-alone work. This allows you reach clients pretty much anywhere, and opens doors for out-of-town work.

The videos you posted are nice, so you're on the right path already, as far as the technical aspect.
Thanks for the feedback! I am definetely interested in doing just editing. It's my favorite part of the process and my strong suit.

And you can do it from anywhere and that gets me excited. I would love to travel and do editing work at the same time

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Great work, man. When filming those videos, do you specifically have in mind what to film or do you just randomly film stuff and improvise on the spot?

Also, do you have people helping you out while filming concerts on different corners or do you still do it all yourself?

Just sent you more rep.

Lucious

Lucious
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 13, 2016
Australia
Wow, have you filmed for dreamville? J.cole fan here.

Great work. Looking forward to seeing grow your business.

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
You're providing some amazing insight from your replies. I've done some paid photography work in the past using my Sony a600 but I'd love to dive headfirst into videography. I know you said you didn't buy any courses and just started going on YouTube to learn. Do you have a channel or video you recommend for starting out? Thanks again for the awesome post and engagement!

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
I'm trying! I love to help as much as I can, glad someone is getting value from it!

There are a bunch of great channels! I have a backlog of like 60 videos I need to watch but I am only learning what I need to know right now.

Parker Walbeck - the Real Estate and Wedding Job Shadow videos are amazing.

View: https://youtu.be/0Pg_1A-iVWo

Been binge watching this guy Matt who is a professional wedding filmmaker. Great content.

View: https://youtu.be/0tMjJ1yHucE

For music videos - YcImaging is really great.

View: https://youtu.be/9LoTLfCfvoI

This guy Scott McKenna is solid as well! He uses the same camera I plan on purchasing so it helps alot. Wedding based content but lots of value definetely.

View: https://youtu.be/9JYCNNr5PLI

Also, Peter Mckinnon, Daniel Schiffer and a bunch of others are all great!

Wow, thank you so much for providing that list. I got instantly hooked by the first video and I almost forgot to reply! I'm gonna dive deep into this content and start reaching out for free gigs in my local area. Thanks! +rep

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
Wow, thank you so much for providing that list. I got instantly hooked by the first video and I almost forgot to reply! I'm gonna dive deep into this content and start reaching out for free gigs in my local area. Thanks! +rep
Not a problem! Keep us updated on your progress

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
Hi ChaseFade,

Huge respect for your hustle and out of the box thinking sir .
Really got me thinking that instead of running away from the problem we should work harder. Don't know something ...just put in the work and figure it out .Thanks for sharing your story ..really appreciate it .
Thanks for reading! And for the kind words. I'm just trying to help people and make an impact in whatever way I can. Glad I can inspire you to do the same

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Sounds like the beginnings of a media agency; love the hustle and the drive to figure things out along the way - Keep at it and it's only a matter of time this becomes fastlane!

magnificent

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jan 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey Chase,

Did you have prior experience to video editing or did you just learn from tutorials?

I also would assume you're using Final Cut Pro am I right?

Thanks

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wow, thank you! That is very interesting.

What kind of videos do you provide for the medical practitioners?

$4,000 a pop is great money! Twice what I make in one month at my current day job.

How would you recommend I go about getting my foot in the door to working with these types of clients?

I definetely am feeling the burn out already and want to niche down into a certain type of production. Weddings or more corporate gigs like you are doing. It's been great to learn while getting paid and be able to invest in new equipment but I am realizing that it is definetely not sustainable like you said.

The realtors I worked for do luxury homes so they definetely have the budget but in my market there isn't much of a need for listing videos right now because million dollar houses here in Seattle sell in DAYS. With or without alot of marketing. Its insane.

Great Story, Congrats

Thanks for sharing!

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
You brought up a good point. Let me elaborate on audio for a moment.

Usually, after the exchange of rings in a wedding, there is a song and/or lighting of a unity candle. Shortly after that takes place, the bride and groom are there with nothing to do really - and a few minutes to spare. So what do they do? They talk to each other. And usually giggle and smile for a moment. What do they say?

I used wireless mics that would pick up even a whisper. I got those intimate conversations. I got the "I love you" after the rings were put on. And I got the smile and teary eyes.

THAT is the meat and potatoes that they want and hope to see! And, one more thing - close up too! Get those tiny beads of sweat!

Weddings are so emotional. You can capture that. And everyone will love you forever for doing it!
Definetely! Already got a few wireless mics ready to go!

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
You are a huge inspiration and role model! Thanks so much for sharing your story of your success!
I am just getting started! Thanks for reading

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
558%
Mar 11, 2015
You'll get used to it. As you get better, you will love your work more, and it won't seem like work nearly as much as it does now.

What you won't get used to is people telling you how "lucky" you are to have your own business and make so much money.

I tell them, I'll give you a secret on how to double your income - starting next month. They are usually pretty interested to get this little gem of inside information - until I tell them to get another job. Yes, work twice as much. I do. So I should make more money.

I trained six people over the years because they wanted in on the "gravy train." They all quit because they didn't want to work weekends or nights. Not that it's hard work - but it is time consuming. Oh no - can't do that. But they do want all the benefits.
Those 80 hours were just at the day job, not even counting video edits and shooting after work. It's nice to have alot more money to invest into equipment and better yet, when you work all day and night you dont have time to spend money on anything unnecessary haha

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Commercial stuff is MUCH easier and MUCH less time consuming than consumer video. And your customers will not be NEARLY as picky.

Yep! The clients have 9-5 day jobs and want to leave on time for supper!

So - replace the orientation process with a thorough, or a series of, very direct videos. With a quiz after each one - which is not to see how smart they are, but to PROVE that they watched the video.

Yep, I've seen those at most job orientations in the last decade. There are catalogs that have these videos in the $200 range. Not bad for two actors, one announcer, one cubicle farm set, one corner office or conference room set... write, shoot, and edit in a day.

Now do the same exact training/orientation videos for specific job duties. How to run a computer program - how to run a certain machine - how to fill out forms.

Yep. The same catalogs I've seen have $500, 20 minute videos on OSHA Compliant Asbestos Safety Training. Here's how to wear a face mask and gloves and not kill yourself if you have to handle asbestos. Here's the quiz. Production cost: one set of face mask and gloves, one announcer, three pages of OSHA guidelines.

McDonald's no longer has the thousand page franchise operations guide. It's all online video from a separate company. Cute little three minute storyline of the happy gal who feels like ordering by phone, then the happy gal at the counter happily punches up the MOBILE ORDER button [drop in the close-up here], then the little quiz for what button do you press when the customer says they have a mobile order?

As my background includes video, I'm going to get into these once my initial web marketing & copywriting service is underway.

Went to Youtube to pick one at random. I have no association with this video company.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzqGKvUnd3o

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!