The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How hard is it to actually find a good business idea?

How hard is it to find a good, plausible business idea?

• Total voters

James Fend

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I have an excel that has each attribute I am looking for in ideas and then grade them. Some attributes carry more weight than others. A big one for me is:

1. Can I reach possible customers/users?
2. Will it be easy, hard, and/or through scalable methods?
3. Is this something I can write/talk about passionately?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

SpectateSwamp

New Contributor
Sep 16, 2019
Osoyoos B.C. Canada
Listen to the workers.
When I was working on the Gravel Crusher.. in 1972
It required that I run the Breaker (big rocks to under 3 in)
and the Crusher. Those rocks into 3/4 in crush.

It was easy for the breaker to overload the crusher hopper and it would get clogged.
When the crusher was getting close to overload.. I'd run over (on scaffolding) and pull
a lever to stop more being crushed for a few seconds.. then back on.

The bosses came by one day and asked if there was anything I could use.
I said yes a 50 foot piece of rope and I'd tie it to the crusher lever to operate it
from the Breaker ...

50% more gravel crushed right away.

Entre Eyes

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED

LittleWolfie

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Well after reading the article, I do the what if a lot. What if this is my big break? I will be so happy. What if the hard drive fails? Well, I will restore from the backup I am about to make before I start or the one I'm going to schedule now I have nice new computer.

Other than that, I'm apparently problem solving and if I stop doing the what if, I will be less proactive and worse off.

I implement all the other suggestions too,sat morning is my worry time.

Kevin88660

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
My opinion is this.

Most ideas will be rubbish even if they sounded good. Ideas are only good after they have been tested out and proven to be good. Sometimes it takes a few modification to the original idea to make it work.

Thats what makes the process hard.

Process

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
That and a $1 is worth the dollar. I'm unable to eat the code, or sell /or rent code for a rent/food. Nor have I been able to use code to obtain a job or freelance work, it was just a complete waste of time.

I'd gladly give code away for some sales skill.
Psst.... learning the process of learning to code showed me to look at sales as a programmable series of functions.

Now I sell things at the intersection of systems and sales... which happens to be where the real money always is at. Just a helpful hint.

Ing

Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Read some books, try to get your mindset towards business and you ll see the opportunities yourself!

I read some books. At the end Millionaire fastlane.
Now I got forbidden to talk about business opportunities by my wife! :0

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

LittleWolfie

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Psst.... learning the process of learning to code showed me to look at sales as a programmable series of functions.
OK,now we are getting somewhere, other than looking at each part of the sales funnel as a function that is #included in the main file, how do I do this?

How does this help me or the system sell?

Now I sell things at the intersection of systems and sales... which happens to be where the real money always is at. Just a helpful hint.
Do you mean like sales automation or more like a sales engineer?

@Ing

My issues with business books is most of them are too artisty/biographical for me to follow and gain insight. There is some useful information in MJ's, but lean startup, tyler tringas and the like take a much better (imho) scientific approach.

Things usally work much better for me when I ask other peiple their ideas.

However they all run on the assumption you have a certain amount of capital and live in a certain kind of location yet never highlight their assumptions at the beginning(there is a thread on here which does this to my delight) once I get to that stage it can be implementend.

However I have yet to find anything that applies to my specific situation.

Ernman

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
My last business kinda came to me by accident, so I've never really experienced consciously going out and finding the next business to start, and so far, I'm failing at doing so.
Allow me to suggest the answer to your question is in your post. I've recently been through a similar situation. I knew it was time to get off the slow lane and had been casting around for ideas. But the idea was right in front of me the entire time. I just wasn't seeing it. It came to me by accident, all I had to do was recognize it.

I know I'm sounding philosophical, sorry about that. But my point is, our daily lives, work activities and experiences put us right in the path of needs all the time. Our challenge is to recognize them.

Process

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
OK,now we are getting somewhere, other than looking at each part of the sales funnel as a function that is #included in the main file, how do I do this?

How does this help me or the system sell?

Do you mean like sales automation or more like a sales engineer?

@Ing

My issues with business books is most of them are too artisty/biographical for me to follow and gain insight. There is some useful information in MJ's, but lean startup, tyler tringas and the like take a much better (imho) scientific approach.

Things usally work much better for me when I ask other peiple their ideas.

However they all run on the assumption you have a certain amount of capital and live in a certain kind of location yet never highlight their assumptions at the beginning(there is a thread on here which does this to my delight) once I get to that stage it can be implementend.

However I have yet to find anything that applies to my specific situation.

Have you ever read the Pragmatic Programmer?

Understanding systems sets me apart when I train reps and associates to see what they’re doing as a system. The more simple it is the better.

First I teach them to just go for volume. Talking to buyers is the key.

Second I teach them to dig for pain, desires, frustrations, etc.

Third I teach them to look into eyes appropriately, the order of questions, the tone and body language.

Fourth I teach them to just ask for the order. If the customer stalls, they have to move back to addresss the underlying concern about value.

Fifth if the person still stalls, I instruct them to give the prospect their contact info stapled to a quote form with more info and specs on it. This actually gets a solid chunk of analytical buyers to recontact and place orders. ( It is important to give them more value than before you met them without wasting time since they deliberate for weeks sometimes) (these people are icing on the cake since I never count on any of them returning to the funnel)

Each iteration of applying this makes them much more calibrated. Proving this gives them the confidence and practice to massively improve.

This is more like a quick simple python script than a fancy bloated program.

I get the basics tested before I optimize the rest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom