The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Far Do You Plan Ahead?

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I've seen some of the more successful people on forum make posts sometimes about stuff they got planned and I'm shocked their to do list stretches for weeks if not months ahead.

Meanwhile my only plan is for tomorrow,

Long term thinking/delayed gratification is important, but how far do you take it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
You probably want to hear from the successful people, but I can only parrot what I have heard or read from successful people that sounds reasonable to me:

Longest Term: Mission
Medium Term: Strategy
Short Term: Plan

Plans should be made with a throw away mentality while your Mission should be your everlasting "Bill Of Rights" (and must, as a consequence, leave enough wiggle room). It needs to get your values right and be compatible with your Vision(s).
"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" is a great book if you want to get that aspect right.

The Strategy should leave enough room for pivoting, but it makes sure you set goals and have metrics and triggers in place that prompt you to pivot. I have witnessed the cautious tales behind not doing that: trusting your guts coupled with willpower and hope leads to "Willful Blindness" and you violate many aspects of UNSCRIPTED , for example by not properly adjusting to market feedback if you are not on track to reaching productocracy status.

The two Tesla Master Plans (I would put them in the Strategy category) make assumptions and look ahead as far as the next 10 years. That seems to be a reasonable approach, again - if you leave enough room for changes of plans within that strategy.

Mission, Strategy and Plans provide different kinds of value and you can start without them, but there is a price to pay. Inaction because of that "fact" does not make sense, because you pay a worse price for that.
"So Good They Can't Ignore You" is a great book that is pretty much about working with strategies and plans if you have a hard time committing to a mission - which makes a lot of sense since you do not want to approach the mission with a throwaway mentality.
So, this is a framework to work with which hates absolutes.

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
It's always good to have a long-term vision/plan but there are always random variables that can cause changes during the intermediary time period. As Mike Tyson once said, "Everybody has a plan until you get punched in the face." or Tyler Durden from Fight Club, "Stop trying to control everything and just let go."

• Banned

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
@Kak is one person I've seen make a comment on a thread once about stuff he would do about four weeks ahead.

Do you always have a to do list that far into the future?

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
The answer is in your question and in your own personal plan.
How far ahead have you planned for your execution thread, not very far it seems but you seem happy with that.
My plan is similar and I'm also not asking for any opinions or advice until it's well underway. I sickened myself with wanting opinions and advice so much tht I have just done what I think is right and going to take all credit or whatever on my own shoulders. Good luck. I will post on INSIDERS around November and help MJ with the perpetual query am I too fkn old to start.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak is one person I've seen make a comment on a thread once about stuff he would do about four weeks ahead.

Do you always have a to do list that far into the future?

I have a plan of natural progression for everything. I have a very very long term view.

Like one of my companies is still squarely in the ramp up phase... but... I plan to buy the supplier, buy the transloader, clean up the processes of all wings and potentially file an IPO. This process is going to take a few years.

I have a plan for what I'm lobbying for come January session in TX.

I don't even have kids yet but I'm thinking of how I want to transition them into our businesses or not if they don't want it.

I know where I want to live next, even though I can't afford it now. Etc.

I encourage a long term view. It helps with the short term sacrifices required to build really cool businesses. Without a long term view I would have totally burned out and got a job several times by now.

• Banned

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I have a plan of natural progression for everything. I have a very very long term view.

Like one of my companies is still squarely in the ramp up phase... but... I plan to buy the supplier, buy the transloader, clean up the processes of all wings and potentially file an IPO. This process is going to take a few years.

I have a plan for what I'm lobbying for come January session in TX.

I don't even have kids yet but I'm thinking of how I want to transition them into our businesses or not if they don't want it.

I know where I want to live next, even though I can't afford it now. Etc.

I encourage a long term view. It helps with the short term sacrifices required to build really cool businesses. Without a long term view I would have totally burned out and got a job several times by now.
That's amazing, I'm trying to get away from impulsive/short term thinking as much as possible.

I'm going to adopt the same approach.

@Tommo I can't plan for something I don't know about but I plan to stick with it aslong as it takes and keep updating every step in my execution thread.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Call me crazy but I have in my someday/maybe list things to be made in 40 or 50 years.

If I showed you my long-term plans you would look at me as if I was a lunatic because my vision is huge.

And by huge I mean galactic empire level of hugeness.

Why so big? Well, "Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star." - W. Clement Stone.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Call me crazy but I have in my someday/maybe list things to be made in 40 or 50 years.

If I showed you my long-term plans you would look at me as if I was a lunatic because my vision is huge.

And by huge I mean galactic empire level of hugeness.

Why so big? Well, "Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star." - W. Clement Stone.
That's great, how specific are your plans?

In my case the futher into the future the more vague it gets.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I won't speak for him, but I will add about my plans... They aren't perfectly clear. That is ok, I know the major steps to take in the immediate 3 year future... But the next steps kind of depend on how those 3 years might unfold. The specifics aren't there, but the big overarching plan is. At least for me. I know all of my businesses plays end up on the high-finance side of things rather than operations side.

For example... A big a$$ boat, or yacht... I love them but for some reason I feel guilty for doing something out of pure recreation. I know I shouldn't, but, that's just the way it is right now. I can't justify it. So as much as I love them, I think I'll be able to justify it in my older age when I have kids and grandkids to enjoy it with.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015

I think that's difficult to define because what might be specific for me it might be vague for you and viceversa.

Let's say that I'm specific enough to at least have a route to the goals but not as specific to have all the details noted down. Or in other words, I have a slight idea on what it needs to happen to get there but I haven't planned any specific actions or strategies yet.

I have more detailed strategies for the next 5-10 years and a lot for each year.

It's been a while since I reviewed the list though, still I sometimes have these moments of day dreaming epiphany when my mind just throws another piece of the puzzle to the table making the big picture clearer.

I think this is a clear example of how setting goals and thinking big can affect your thinking process.

And don't worry, when I have my empire I'll be a very nice intergalactic overlord :devil:

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
I won't speak for him, but I will add about my plans... They aren't perfectly clear. That is ok, I know the major steps to take in the immediate 3 year future... But the next steps kind of depend on how those 3 years might unfold. The specifics aren't there, but the big overarching plan is. At least for me. I know all of my businesses plays end up on the high-finance side of things rather than operations side.
Yes, this is a good way to define it.

For example... A big a$$ boat, or yacht... I love them but for some reason I feel guilty for doing something out of pure recreation. I know I shouldn't, but, that's just the way it is right now. I can't justify it. So as much as I love them, I think I'll be able to justify it in my older age when I have kids and grandkids to enjoy it with.
Man, this happens to me and I've been thinking if it may have negative consequences in the future, like health issues, anxiety or similar due to being overworked.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yes, this is a good way to define it.

Man, this happens to me and I've been thinking if it may have negative consequences in the future, like health issues, anxiety or similar due to being overworked.

Yep. As hard as it is to do something purely out of recreation, it's even harder for me to invest a significant sum in long term recreation... Like a boat... Like I'm buying my own laziness.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Yep. As hard as it is to do something purely out of recreation, it's even harder for me to invest a significant sum in long term recreation... Like a boat... Like I'm buying my own laziness.
You're probably grinding all the time and made it a habit so not doing it feels weird.

That's some next level work ethic.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If you don't plan for the future, how can solve problems before they happen? If you don't get those stones out of your way, you are constantly doing crisis management. Can't you see the trends down the road? Life has a lot of road signs to warn you before you get to those points in your journey.

Life is like flying from Los Angeles to New York. You know where you're going. You know approximately how long it is going to take to get there -- do the math and make your plan. You just have to make course corrections along the way.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I have daily plans, plans for the week, plans for the month, and a mega list of things that I want to achieve/do/have in my life. A bucket list.

What are the things that you want out of life? You can achieve anything in this world if you are persistent, determined and continually chip away at your goal.

Here's a list of how to set good goals by the late Peter2:

Lesson 1. Dream! Let your imagination run wild while you fill up a blank sheet of paper with everything you want to be, do or have. Many adults have lost their ability to dream and that's unfortunate. By dreaming you instill hope for your future, and with hope there's possibility. So your assignment is to dream. During this week devote at least two sessions to dreaming. I want you to create a Dream List filled with ideas. Your list should include at least 25 dreams about what you want to be, do or have.

Lesson 2. After you complete your list, wait 24 to 48 hours and read each item on your list and answer the question: Why? If you can't verbalize in one sentence why you want to be, do or have this dream, then it's not a dream and it won't become a goal. Cross it off your list.

Lesson 3: Ask the following five questions of every dream on the Dream List you created.
1. Is it really MY goal?
2. Is it morally right and fair to everyone concerned?
3. Is it consistent with my other goals?
4. Can I emotionally commit myself to finish this goal?
5. Can I "see" myself reaching this goal?
You must answer "yes" to all five questions for each goal, or cross that goal off your list.

Here are some points to ponder: Is it really MY goal or is it a goal someone else wants me to pursue? Is it the right thing to do? Will achieving this goal distract from achieving other goals? Goals are often difficult to achieve. Are you sure you can make the commitment to pursue this goal and see it through? If you can't "see" yourself reaching this goal, you probably won't.

Take time during this week to think about the questions above and answer them. Once you're finished, your Dream List will probably be a bit shorter than when you started out. That's okay because you're now closer to identifying the goals that you really will pursue and can achieve.

Lesson 4:
Ask the following seven questions of every dream that remains on your Dream List (or goals list).
Will reaching this goal . . .
1. make me happier?
2. make me healthier?
3. make me more prosperous?
4. win me more friends?
5. give me peace of mind?
6. make me more secure?
7. improve my relationships with others?

If you can't answer Yes to at least one of these questions for each goal, eliminate that goal from your list. Be sure to consider your family when you answer these questions. And do not confuse pleasure with happiness!

Here we go with Lesson 5:
After asking the questions posted in Lesson 4 you will have eliminated some of your goals. Actually, they were not goals, just thoughts or desires at this point, so you're better off without them.

Separate your remaining list of goals into one of three categories: Short-range (one month or less to achieve this goal), Intermediate (one month to one year to achieve this goal), or Long-range (one year or more to achieve this goal).

This lesson will help you quickly determine whether or not you have a balanced perspective between what needs to be done now, versus your dreams for the future.

Remember: Some goals must be BIG to make you stretch and grow to your full potential. Some goals must be long-range to keep you on track and greatly reduce the possibility of short-range frustrations. Some goals must be small and daily to keep you disciplined. Some goals must be ongoing. Some goals (i.e., weight loss, business success, education, etc.) may require analysis and consultation to determine where you are before you can set the goals. Most goals should be specific. A "nice home" is not as good as a "3,000 square-foot, Tudor- style home with four bedrooms, three full baths, and two living spaces."

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
One of my favorite stories and I can’t recall from which book I read it is a guy who used pictures to fuel his goals and hustle. After years of work in his business he literally bought the house he had cut out of a magazine years earlier to inspire him.

I have a specific house here in AZ that I plan on buying when the timing is right, think about it every day as I get started and have defined my goals along the way to get there.

Last edited:

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I have daily plans, plans for the week, plans for the month, and a mega list of things that I want to achieve/do/have in my life. A bucket list.

What are the things that you want out of life? You can achieve anything in this world if you are persistent, determined and continually chip away at your goal.

Here's a list of how to set good goals by the late Peter2:

Lesson 1. Dream! Let your imagination run wild while you fill up a blank sheet of paper with everything you want to be, do or have. Many adults have lost their ability to dream and that's unfortunate. By dreaming you instill hope for your future, and with hope there's possibility. So your assignment is to dream. During this week devote at least two sessions to dreaming. I want you to create a Dream List filled with ideas. Your list should include at least 25 dreams about what you want to be, do or have.

Lesson 2. After you complete your list, wait 24 to 48 hours and read each item on your list and answer the question: Why? If you can't verbalize in one sentence why you want to be, do or have this dream, then it's not a dream and it won't become a goal. Cross it off your list.

Lesson 3: Ask the following five questions of every dream on the Dream List you created.
1. Is it really MY goal?
2. Is it morally right and fair to everyone concerned?
3. Is it consistent with my other goals?
4. Can I emotionally commit myself to finish this goal?
5. Can I "see" myself reaching this goal?
You must answer "yes" to all five questions for each goal, or cross that goal off your list.

Here are some points to ponder: Is it really MY goal or is it a goal someone else wants me to pursue? Is it the right thing to do? Will achieving this goal distract from achieving other goals? Goals are often difficult to achieve. Are you sure you can make the commitment to pursue this goal and see it through? If you can't "see" yourself reaching this goal, you probably won't.

Take time during this week to think about the questions above and answer them. Once you're finished, your Dream List will probably be a bit shorter than when you started out. That's okay because you're now closer to identifying the goals that you really will pursue and can achieve.

Lesson 4:
Ask the following seven questions of every dream that remains on your Dream List (or goals list).
Will reaching this goal . . .
1. make me happier?
2. make me healthier?
3. make me more prosperous?
4. win me more friends?
5. give me peace of mind?
6. make me more secure?
7. improve my relationships with others?

If you can't answer Yes to at least one of these questions for each goal, eliminate that goal from your list. Be sure to consider your family when you answer these questions. And do not confuse pleasure with happiness!

Here we go with Lesson 5:
After asking the questions posted in Lesson 4 you will have eliminated some of your goals. Actually, they were not goals, just thoughts or desires at this point, so you're better off without them.

Separate your remaining list of goals into one of three categories: Short-range (one month or less to achieve this goal), Intermediate (one month to one year to achieve this goal), or Long-range (one year or more to achieve this goal).

This lesson will help you quickly determine whether or not you have a balanced perspective between what needs to be done now, versus your dreams for the future.

Remember: Some goals must be BIG to make you stretch and grow to your full potential. Some goals must be long-range to keep you on track and greatly reduce the possibility of short-range frustrations. Some goals must be small and daily to keep you disciplined. Some goals must be ongoing. Some goals (i.e., weight loss, business success, education, etc.) may require analysis and consultation to determine where you are before you can set the goals. Most goals should be specific. A "nice home" is not as good as a "3,000 square-foot, Tudor- style home with four bedrooms, three full baths, and two living spaces."
RIP Pete2, I've read about him and this exercise is amazing, I can only imagine the kind of life he must've had.

I'll definitely use this method.

One of my favorite stories and I can’t recall from which book I read it is a guy who used pictures to fuel his goals and hustle. After years of work in his business he literally bought the house he had cut out of a magazine years earlier to inspire him.

I have a specific house here in AZ that I plan on buying when the timing is right, think about it every day as I get started and have defined my goals along the way to get there.
I think you're talking about John Assaraf if I'm not mistaken.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I plan for about 3 months ahead in terms of products manufacturing and release timeline. Marketing not so much.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado

Me too. It's Saturday, and I have not done anything productive today. It's the weekend! I'm so used to working all the time that I feel GUILTY about not getting anything done today.

I used to have a normal life... and I miss it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.