The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does investing work?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
May 18, 2023
Before you get shocked by the title, I know what it means, but like how does it work, I know its where you put money into something, get part of the company, and stocks go up and down in value and you can sell it for profit blah blah blah but, dividends, do they expire? Or when you invest 5 million, do you just keep getting monthly pay outs? Do you just keep investing in the same company and they keep paying you?? How do I know if its a good investment and such?

I know I sound like an idiot alright? Just answer these questions if you could. I just cant get a grasp on how this works

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Before you get shocked by the title, I know what it means, but like how does it work, I know its where you put money into something, get part of the company, and stocks go up and down in value and you can sell it for profit blah blah blah but, dividends, do they expire? Or when you invest 5 million, do you just keep getting monthly pay outs? Do you just keep investing in the same company and they keep paying you?? How do I know if its a good investment and such?

I know I sound like an idiot alright? Just answer these questions if you could. I just cant get a grasp on how this works
Fundamentally the investment must serve your own purpose and specific goals/time horizon.

Dynastic wealth invest in gold, land and arts. At least in war you still can run away with gold and art work. Stocks and bonds get wiped out.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Dividends that you receive do not expire.

A company can alter future dividends but once you receive them they are yours.

Dividends can be received as cash or reinvested into the security. Your choice.

You know if something is a good investment by researching it. If you don't want to research, you can read reports from people who do that sort of thing. Morningstar is one such company. It's always best to do your own research (DYOR) so you don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

If you don't know where to start, there are plenty of very informative educational videos on YouTube as @100k suggested.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.