The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does an app like Next Issue obtain magazine licensing?

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
How does an app like Next Issue or News Stand obtain licensing to distribute sooo many magazines to users for such a low cost?? The reason I am asking is because I called individual magazine companies and their quoted Digital Only prices exceed the price of this apps subscription by far, plus the app will give you access to +140 issues instead of just 1. How do they do it? Do they buy licensing and build their own digital version? Do they just pay royalties on their digital versions? I am stumped here. I want to figure this out but cannot find any information on how these apps get permission to do this do this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Are you looking to build a digital version and sell a digital version of a popular magazine like "Sports Illustrated" or something? Not quite sure if I understand the purpose...

Why not create your own magazine and sell it yourself? Find bloggers in your niche to write high quality articles. Hire a deisigner to build a template in Adobe Indesign, format and sell.

It's not too hard once you get the system down.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
Digital versions already exist for many major magazines. So, no, not really. I am not trying to create a magazine. I am trying to obtain a large quantity of digital subscriptions or licensing for the lowest prices. Hence, the original question. How do they do it?
P.S. Plus, they allow up to 5 devices per subscription! I don't get it :wideyed:

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Can't help you with that question - sorry - for my magazine business I created the magazines myself instead of licensing.

If I were to go that route - I would ask someone who is doing it already directly how they did it. Second to that, I would call the person who handles the licensing and see if you can work out a deal outside the "standard rates"

But I never went that route so take the above advice with a grain of salt.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

domi99

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 13, 2014
Can't help you with that question - sorry - for my magazine business I created the magazines myself instead of licensing.

If I were to go that route - I would ask someone who is doing it already directly how they did it. Second to that, I would call the person who handles the licensing and see if you can work out a deal outside the "standard rates"

But I never went that route so take the above advice with a grain of salt.

Hey Andrew, how did you create traffic for your magazine sites? I'm still working on my magazine and I get great feedback all the time, however traffic is just low. I need to admit that I haven't done much SEO for it. How have you promoted your sites?

Thanks!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
The strategy I used isn't as scalable as I would like. I would model concealed carry magazine if you are looking to grow it larger. They have the magazine as the. Front end offer and then they offer concealed handgun insurance and other higher end products on the backend who appeal to the same market.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You CAN find anything you are looking for if you look hard enough.

Yup, many of the questions asked here fall into that category. Google first and more than likely, you'll find the question has been asked and answered a dozen times before. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.