The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you stay motivated at your day job?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I'm hoping folks have some suggestions how to keep motivated at the day job. All I want to do is work on and refine my plan and work on the ideas and businesses I am cultivating.

I know I need the day job (and the paycheck) for now and I am lucky that I get good real estate experience here, but I now see more than ever how I'm just a "cog in the machine" that makes my boss rich. It's really hard to want to do anything "extra" or pretend to be engaged. But, my job requires a lot of my attention and focus, otherwise I start to let things fall through the cracks.

I work approx 60 hours a week and I'm having a really hard time staying motivated working on the stuff that doesn't teach me anything.

Thanks,
Sid23

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Although I am not living from paycheck to paycheck, I used to work 72 hours a week for 6+ years. I thought I can make fortune with my good salary. It turns out that I have no life and I am making someone rich. So I quit 2 years ago.

If you are living from paycheck to paycheck, why don't you turn that into your motivation? Find a way to get out that situation. No matter what your situation is, you are learning something that you don't even realized, unless you don't care to learn. Don't expect someone teaching you anything. You need to discover it.

I believe that the successful fastlane drivers have something in common. They don't sit there waiting for opportunities to come. They discover the opportunities.

Where you will be in next 5 years? In the same old company doing the same old job? Probably not. What will you be doing? Can you take what you've learned in the current company and make your life easier in the next job or become your own boss?

Here are something that I told myself to pay attention to when I was employed.
1. How the company was operated?
2. Why the company is not moving forward or growing?
3. What other staff are thinking about the company and their own future?
4. What will you do differently, if I have the control of the company?

One day, you will be operating your own business, your own company and hiring your own employees. Can you do better job than your current boss? Can you treat your employee better than the way you have been treated now?

Hope that help!

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Terrence,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!

My issue is this...I'm putting the finishing touches on my plan and will begin implementing soon, but the guys I work for now work in the same industry and I'll be taking our business model into different markets and tweaking it slightly.

So I really want to stay on good terms with the guys I work for because our paths will most certainly cross in the future and I'll be using my years of experience under them as "leverage" with lenders and investors. They may even want to participate in some of my deals.

I'm working long and hard for them, but recently as my plan gets closer to implementation I've had to stop working as hard at the day job and just do what is required. Unfortunately, I think they are beginning to sense I'm not as fully engaged as before. I'm probably here another 1-2 years so I don't want them to think anything other than good thoughts about me now and when I leave.

So I'm really wondering how to stay on good terms and "appear" motivated so it keeps me in good standing with them in the future, especially after I've left. But I've started skipping the "optional" 8pm meetings, etc and I think its beginning to show.

Thanks!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm probably here another 1-2 years so I don't want them to think anything other than good thoughts about me now and when I leave.

Of course, you don't want to damage your relationship with them. However, you have to trust me on this. Business is business. No matter how good you are and how much work you have done for the company, it's not your company. People always have something to say about you after you leave.

The realty is this. Do whatever it takes to reach your goal. In the business world, there is no true enemies or true friends. No one care about your success or your feelings. When you are going up hills, people come to you for what they want from you. When you are going down hill, people don't even bother talking to you. That's the brutal facts.

I have been part of few start-up companies and have helped them becoming multi-million dollar corporation world wide. So what? I am still friends with those people, but they are not helping me on my journey what-so-ever.

What exactly that you are looking for in your life? Be the nice guy and sitting at the bottom of the society? Or be the evil rich jerk and live the life you want?

At the end, you are the only evaluate your own success. No one can! So do whatever you need to reach your onw goal.

That's all I can say!

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
Of course, you don't want to damage your relationship with them. However, you have to trust me on this. Business is business. No matter how good you are and how much work you have done for the company, it's not your company. People always have something to say about you after you leave.

:iagree:I see this daily!

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007

The realty is this. Do whatever it takes to reach your goal. In the business world, there is no true enemies or true friends. No one care about your success or your feelings. When you are going up hills, people come to you for what they want from you. When you are going down hill, people don't even bother talking to you. That's the brutal facts.

Well, maybe I am naive then. I work for a small, 6 person company and I would consider the people I work with friends. Yes, 2 are my bosses, but we go mountain biking on the weekend, wine tasting, etc. I'm invited to their children's bar mitzvah's, weddings, etc. Our office manager retired last week and hugged me and cried and cried when she left telling me how much she likes me and wants to keep our friendship going.

I understand 100% that this is business and if its between saving me and saving the company, they will save the company every time. But I don't work for some big, faceless corporation.

I'm not saying I want them to be my "best friends forever" or anything, but I do think they are powerful in the industry and staying on good terms with them seems like a smart BUSINESS move, not just personally.

But again, I'm young and maybe too inexperienced to see the truth.

Thanks for your thoughts.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
funny, this thread reminds me of Diane Kennedy's success story, when somebody told her she will be a great business owner as she was a lousy employee...

I am suffering the same symptoms you are describing. I do believe what they say, this is a disease... there is no cure, so just learn how to live with it. Do you job in a professional manner. Work the 40 hours they are paying you for (or they do pay you those extra 20 you put in every week?). Remember, you are the employee today, but someday others will work for you... do you want them to have the same attitude you have with your job today?

Also, remember something else, your edge, your competitive advantage, comes from your daily job. The ability to focus is key on ANY endeavor, so don't lose that.

To get out of the monotony of your daily routine, ask for an extra assignment so you can learn something else or request some training useful for both the company and your future, but this will only make sense if you cut the crazy hours you are working. And remember, you are not alone, we here understand what you are going through, you are not alone.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
So to stay motivated I read threads from www.thefastlanetomillions.com on my blackberry! :D

being unemployed for the last 4 months this was supposed to be my motivation but instead I have stuck to my typical lazy habits that need to be broken... but first step is getting back here, reading and of course posting(it's what keeps me motivated to keep reading :smxB:)

I now see more than ever how I'm just a "cog in the machine" that makes my boss rich. It's really hard to want to do anything "extra" or pretend to be engaged. But, my job requires a lot of my attention and focus, otherwise I start to let things fall through the cracks.

I work approx 60 hours a week and I'm having a really hard time staying motivated working on the stuff that doesn't teach me anything.

Thanks,
Sid23

it's stories like these that put me in my current dilemma... I need to get that job to pay my bills now, but don't want to be stuck as a "cog" making someone else rich when I can do the stuff on my own and make the real money, unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of startup capital or time to develop a new business at this time thanks to those same bills that need to be paid :smxE:

just like MJ I have friends that work the safe/secure jobs for Fortune500 co's and brag about how many projects they work on and the 50-60hrs a week they work to have an impressive name on the resume while they could probably do the same work on their own for a fraction of the cost that their employer does it and take home ALL the profit... i.e. one friend does financial analysis at a company rate of $250-500/hr and he hasn't told me what he makes, but I'm sure it's in the $50-60k/yr range and since he works 50-60hrs a week that comes out to about $20-25/hr when he could easily do it on his own for $50-100/hr and make much more for the same amt of work :coco:

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Ok, let me try this another way. I'm not sure I'm getting my point across...or maybe I am and I'm not seeing the light. Definitely possible!!

Imagine that you work for MJ, Russ or SteveO. Guys at the top of their game who are doing what you see youself doing, just as your own boss.

Every morning you get up, go to their house and help them implement their business. And its just you, them and a few others, including a few dogs.

They pay you a fair salary, give you bonuses when successful projects are completed, lease you a luxury car and provide you with a Blackberry. And every year they take you on vacations and to sporting events, etc.

This is my reality.

I totally understand the not caring about maintaining a good relationship with my job if I worked at a car wash and wanted to start a website, but what if you worked at "Google" and wanted to start another site? Doesn't it make sense to maintain a very strong relationship with them?

Wouldn't you maintain appearances so when you took Sergey and Larry aside to tell them you were leaving, they would see you as someone who did a great job for them while at Google, and maybe do business with you in the future? They wouldn't if you slacked off, got nothing done and then just walked out one day

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hmmmm, this thread caught my eye -- and as I thought about how to answer, I realized something:

I have not been motivated at my day job for close to 5 years now. I show up, do the bare minimum not to get fired, and try to keep as low of a profile as possible so as to not draw too much attention to myself in either a postive or a negative fashion. I've figured out over the years that if you keep a semi-unapproachable demeanor with your co-workers, sooner or later they will start to leave you alone. If you act busy, or stressed out, or grumpy -- they will assume you are extremely busy, and steer clear of you.

In a given 8 hour day, I'd guess that I put in 30 minutes of actual work.

It's not that I'm a bad employee, or that I hate the company... It's just that at this point I don't care anymore. The soul-less culture of corporate America has ruined me. I was once a driven individual who was constantly being recognized as an over-achiever in the company, and was even "fast tracked" for upper management during my early years. I've been stuck in corporate America for 10 years now, and I've watched people come and go. I've seen people who strive to overachieve laid off for no reason. I've seen people who are basically slackers manage to stick around through round after round of layoffs, with virtually no explanation. I've seen absolute idiots promoted to executive status, because of the people they knew or the connections they had.

At this point I will do anything it takes to extract myself from this situation. I focus 100% of my time on my side businesses, and trying to grow my plan to the level where I can one day walk out the front door -- Middle fingers in the air, never to return.

- Hakrjak

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Terrence,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!

My issue is this...I'm putting the finishing touches on my plan and will begin implementing soon, but the guys I work for now work in the same industry and I'll be taking our business model into different markets and tweaking it slightly.

So I really want to stay on good terms with the guys I work for because our paths will most certainly cross in the future and I'll be using my years of experience under them as "leverage" with lenders and investors. They may even want to participate in some of my deals.

I'm working long and hard for them, but recently as my plan gets closer to implementation I've had to stop working as hard at the day job and just do what is required. Unfortunately, I think they are beginning to sense I'm not as fully engaged as before. I'm probably here another 1-2 years so I don't want them to think anything other than good thoughts about me now and when I leave.

So I'm really wondering how to stay on good terms and "appear" motivated so it keeps me in good standing with them in the future, especially after I've left. But I've started skipping the "optional" 8pm meetings, etc and I think its beginning to show.

Thanks!

Ok, let me try this another way. I'm not sure I'm getting my point across...or maybe I am and I'm not seeing the light. Definitely possible!!

Imagine that you work for MJ, Russ or SteveO. Guys at the top of their game who are doing what you see youself doing, just as your own boss.

Every morning you get up, go to their house and help them implement their business. And its just you, them and a few others, including a few dogs.

They pay you a fair salary, give you bonuses when successful projects are completed, lease you a luxury car and provide you with a Blackberry. And every year they take you on vacations and to sporting events, etc.

This is my reality.

I totally understand the not caring about maintaining a good relationship with my job if I worked at a car wash and wanted to start a website, but what if you worked at "Google" and wanted to start another site? Doesn't it make sense to maintain a very strong relationship with them?

Wouldn't you maintain appearances so when you took Sergey and Larry aside to tell them you were leaving, they would see you as someone who did a great job for them while at Google, and maybe do business with you in the future? They wouldn't if you slacked off, got nothing done and then just walked out one day
I definitely see your point. I understand where you're coming from (and I did after your first post, but I didn't know how to respond).

Anyway, I think it depends on what gets YOU motivated. Are you more motivated when you have a fire burning under your a$$? Are you more motivated and productive when you are relaxed and just able to work at your own pace and on your own terms? Are you in the best situation when you know what's being expected of you and have your company's well-being in mind? (Guessing not the third one at this point...)

You know WHY you're trying to perform where you are now. Use that as your motivation. Constantly remind yourself why you're working there; change your background on your phone to a picture of something that makes you think of the Fastlane or your PLAN. Maybe you can listen to motivational audiobooks on your way to work (either in your car or on an iPod). Keep yourself focused on what you've got to do, and do it.

Only YOU can figure out what motivates YOU. Once you do, you'll have your answer. :)

Double D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jul 24, 2008
Question...you consider your bosses friends right? And you feel like you want to maintain that relationship after you implement your plan right? Then why cant you call a meeting with your "friends" after hours and say something like hey, I have been working for you for xxx amount of time and I always have given my all and I have a great deal of respect for you and never want to jeprodize our relationship but...I have dreams and a plan of my own that I want to implement someday soon and I would really like to bounce some ideas off of you guys.

While this may come as a shock it may also earn you more respect for being upfront and honest about what direction you are planning to go. Tell them you would never leave them hanging and will still work hard but you need to start focusing in your own direction a little more and need some extra time. If you have a target date then give them a general idea when that is and they will have time to find a replacement that you can train before you leave. If these people are business minded like you say and they have respect for you than they should understand........Could be wrong but I doubt it. Nobody will respect you if you just spring it on them. Good luck!!!

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Question...you consider your bosses friends right? And you feel like you want to maintain that relationship after you implement your plan right? Then why cant you call a meeting with your "friends" after hours and say something like hey, I have been working for you for xxx amount of time and I always have given my all and I have a great deal of respect for you and never want to jeprodize our relationship but...I have dreams and a plan of my own that I want to implement someday soon and I would really like to bounce some ideas off of you guys.

While this may come as a shock it may also earn you more respect for being upfront and honest about what direction you are planning to go. Tell them you would never leave them hanging and will still work hard but you need to start focusing in your own direction a little more and need some extra time. If you have a target date then give them a general idea when that is and they will have time to find a replacement that you can train before you leave. If these people are business minded like you say and they have respect for you than they should understand........Could be wrong but I doubt it. Nobody will respect you if you just spring it on them. Good luck!!!

Good suggestion Double D. Actually I was planning to recommend something similar to Sid.
Sid can you bring something to the table that might get your present bosses interested in partnering with you and investing in your business concept?

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Well, maybe I am naive then. I work for a small, 6 person company and I would consider the people I work with friends.

Oh, yes, I've been there.
Here's the thing,
people are selfish and lazy
(I keep repeating myself but it's true).

I worked in a smaller office.
Everyone seemed like they were on good terms.
An announcement was made.
50% of us were being let go.
Suddenly it was every man and woman for him/herself.

It wasn't personal,
it was business.
These folks had to provide for their families.

Back to the selfish and lazy bit...
if you can set up the venture
so your current employer does well
(or at least stays neutral),
then the relationship has a better chance at survival.
If you're taking away their lunch,
be prepared to get bitten.
(That's the law of the thundercats - grinning)
I doubt they'll have anything to do with you
or worse, they'll treat you like a competitor
(as they should)
and try to put you out of business.

If they do that,
any fubars you make now
will be used against you.
If that ain't motivation to be a superstar...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If these guys get angry because you want to leave and set course for your own dreams, they really aren't your friends -- be careful how you classify them in your mind. We interact with "friends" a lot differently vs "superiors" and that distinction might hurt your decision making process.

I'm all for keeping the relationship in good standing -- however, you can't control their reaction when you ultimately decide to leave. If they were allies and friends, they will be happy for you. Friends support friends.

As for staying motivated, I use to stay motivated in *shit* jobs by analyzing every process and decision - I'd ask myself, is this how I'd do it? What would I do differently if I owned this place? How would that benefit me if I owned this company? I imagined I owned the business and was stuck with that job ... and then thought how to do things differently.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

(Eyes wide with wonder)
Have you personally tried this, Double D?

Lord, when I was managing,
if one of my employees did this,
friend or no,
they'd be out the door
ESPECIALLY if the start up was in the same industry.

Most companies expect loyalty from their employees.
They like to believe the company is the first priority.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
If these guys get angry because you want to leave and set course for your own dreams, they really aren't your friends -- be careful how you classify them in your mind.

Well, I would question if Sid23 was MY friend
if he started up a competing company
in the same industry.

Forget friends,
I would deep six him
(nothing personal, Sid23).

My definition of friend
is someone I would take the hits for,
NOT deliver the hits.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Kim, normally I would agree, but we aren't talking about distinct businesses, restaurants, or unique web properties ... we are talking about real estate investment. I don't think that is the same as a busboy leaving the restaurant to go start his own restaurant across the street (competitive) vs your editorial assistant leaving to go write her own book (somewhat not).

These is an interesting topic and almost warrants a separate discussion.

Double D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jul 24, 2008
Kimber, to answer your question about whether I have done this or not the answer is yes. My situation may have been different since I was the operation manager for a trucking company that saw their highest production on record and the least amount of driver turnover in their history under my watch. I am not tooting my own horn just stating facts. My stress level was thick enough to cut with a knife and I often tried to "give" my job away to whoever thought they could do a better job. The owner used to do the job I was doing but the stress was hurting his health.

That being said, I have been friends with the owners for years(and still am) but I was always saying outloud that I was not going to do this forever and made sure they knew that. When I started buying houses and putting in 60 hrs a week there and 40 a week on my houses(which almost killed me) they knew I was serious. They actually wanted to increase my pay and become partners with me in my houses. The owners wife offered to let one of the girls in the office do forecloser searches and legwork for me.

Now does that apply to this situation? Couldnt tell you. What I would suggest is that there is a backup plan in action just in case things dont go good. But I believe that you will have their long term respect if you approach it in this manner. My 2 cents....:smxF:.

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
Not knowing the particulars of you current job or plan it is a little hard to say directly. Though keep this in mind:

If it were your business, your employee, how would you react to what it is you are currently doing? How would you react to a plan that could help or hurt your business? Would you want your employee approaching you in that kind of upfront and informative matter? How would you react if they did? Given the type of business you have in mind would you consider a plan like that you would be supportive of or would you feel betrayed? In knowing your employee has a business plan for his future or not, how would you want them to be on their current work as your employee right now?

Do you feel comfortable doing less than your best at your current job to focus on your plan or is it possible to do both as well as they can be? How would you live with that decision?

I'm not suggesting any answers as I am in the boat of the paycheck to paycheck job myself. These are some questions I ask myself should when I have my plan ready I want to know 1. How would I react in those shoes? 2. What I could expect from the "other side"? 3. Am I compromising my principles to achieve my goal in any way? If you can answer for yourself those questions truthfully and be happy with the answers I'd say your on the right track.

As far as current motivation, remember what your steps are now, remember your current plan, remember your dreams, and remember to seek and draw as much support for attaining your goal as possible, whether it is friends, family, the forum, or your personal mentor. Surround yourself with positives, surround yourself with motivation, surround yourself with success, and keep your focus straight.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
As an employee, you should always give it your very best effort. It's a small world, and you never know what will happen in the future.

I have had many employees leave in order to start their own company, or to work for a different company. Some of them left on good terms, and some of them left on bad terms. Many found out that the grass was not greener on the other side, and they wanted to come back and work for me again. Guess who I allowed to come back?
Of course the ones that left on good terms. The ones that gave their best effort while they worked for me.

Work hard until you are ready to leave. Don't tell your boss about your desire to start your own company. Give your boss plenty of notice to replace you, and offer to train your replacement.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
So true.... It is amazing to me how many people burn bridges - - - then come back later, tail planted firmly between legs, hoping for a second chance... or even asking for a simple favor.

Is it really that hard to give it your best effort and leave on good terms?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
As an employee, you should always give it your very best effort. It's a small world, and you never know what will happen in the future.

Work hard until you are ready to leave. Don't tell your boss about your desire to start your own company. Give your boss plenty of notice to replace you, and offer to train your replacement.

This is exactly why I started this thread. I am not slacking at all, in fact, if you asked my bosses how I'm doing they would both say exceptional. I'm working really hard for them and knowing I only have a certain amount of waking hours each week, its getting hard for me to want to concentrate on the job at hand. I know my path to what I want is to be doing these real estate deals on my own. I'm not planning to leave because I don't like the work or the people, just that I work way too hard on high levels deals and spend too much of my life here not to have a ton more money and time freedom.

Is it really that hard to give it your best effort and leave on good terms?

It's not hard, just hard to stay motivated sometimes when it drains you from working on MY plan and MY goals.

My plan consists of doing similar, but smaller deals than we are doing here in different markets. Hopefully after a few deals I'll have the capital and cashflow to work on my own deals full time.

My bosses may want to be involved in my deals and I am kind of thinking about showing them the first one (when I get it) and seeing if they are interested. But its a fine line, I need to have the control over myself, environment, and schedule, and I can see them wanting to run the deal themselves. So we will see.

Just trying to play my cards right. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Double D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jul 24, 2008
I respect others views here and I believe that each individual situation is unique. What I guess is hard for me to understand is that this is suppose to be the fastlane. Now please dont get me wrong I know many people here are still working jobs but, my view must be different. I am sure that almost all of you want to go out on your own. Doing that will take some out of the box thinking and planning that will most likely interfere with the bosses plans. Hakrjak fits the mold of someone ready to go in my opinion. When you stay completley focused on your JOB you are selling yourself short. You will not have the time or energy to focus on what really matters.

Not everyone is ready to take that step. It is huge for most people and takes a great deal of planning to do it correctley. I gave alot to my employer but when I began to make my exit I continued to give but made it clear I was on my way out. The mindset of being so loyal as not to rock the boat and take the chance of upsetting them didnt outweigh my desire to get out.:smx19:

That being said, I showed as much respect as possible by giving them more than enough time to find a replacement and for me to train them. That is a stand up way to exit in my opinion. The longer you stay focused on the JOB the longer you will stay an employee. At least in my opinion. My desire to venture out was much stronger than my desire to "maintain" my relationship with them. Everyone is different and must handle their situation the best way that suits them.......Good luck breaking free!!!:banana:

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Ahh...
it's real estate.
That makes all the difference.

No real head to head competition.
Different game than business,