The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you react when you sit with someone in your age or younger and has net worth 20 times yours ?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I had this experience when I met a guy in my age but he owns 30 properties with a couple of commercial real estates. I felt embarrassed with what I was consider it before achievement.
The thing is the much you grow in age the more likely you will meet people in your age but has accomplished far more yours.
What these people have we dont have ? I know his rich parents was a factor to accelerate his wealth building process, but wonder if they are using their time different of how we use it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
What these people have we dont have ? I know his rich parents was a factor to accelerate his wealth building process,
I think you answered your own question. You can't compare yourself to people who come from wealth
but wonder if they are using their time different of how we use it.
There is. They don't have to spend all their time working to fulfill basic needs

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
I have friends who are younger than me and make a lot more. I don't take their success personally - I am just grateful to have them in my life. If you can figure out a way to befriend this dude that's a good start.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Good for them, who gives a F*ck?

Another important thing to look at is HOW they make their money.

When I see these kids running around thinking their million they made from YOLO-ing some crypto is going to keep coming in each year, I laugh.

Lot of guys out here are flexing their windfall money. Guys that made a few mil playing professional sports, or guys that had an e-commerce store or amazon seller account that made them a few mil. To me it's all the same. It's all "today" money. It's dumb money. They are the same as if you just put a pile of cash into the hands of someone random. They still have to go out and hunt for their next dollar.

The reason I don't envy any of those guys for a single second is that 1. It's harmful to do that in life and 2. I've got something that keeps growing. It's not going anywhere. It's not fickle and prone to disruption. I could do no more new sales and we would keep on rolling at a nice pace for years.

I guarantee that in 10 years most of the young hotshots will be nobodies anyways.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
"Damn, dude. Way to go!"

Other people's success makes my life better, not worse. I could have done more or better or whatever, sure. And I still can! Success is cool, so how else would I react but positively?

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
This used to happen to me earlier in life. These days I just shrug my shoulders and wish them the best. Your situation is unique to you and you have your own set of priorities in life.

Anytime I feel envious of anyone, I come back to my core principle, what is it I want out of life? To be free, to be my own lord of my life. Some who have much in the way of numbers are a prison to it, find out what your core principle is.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Although I've yet to sit with someone who has a net worth of 20 times mine (there are a lot out there, I've just not met them yet) I have met and spoke with people with a far greater net worth than mine, and at my age the majority of them are younger. I always try my best to listen and pick up some ideas I can transfer to my own situation.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good for them, who gives a f*ck?

Another important thing to look at is HOW they make their money.

When I see these kids running around thinking their million they made from YOLO-ing some crypto is going to keep coming in each year, I laugh.

Lot of guys out here are flexing their windfall money. Guys that made a few mil playing professional sports, or guys that had an e-commerce store or amazon seller account that made them a few mil. To me it's all the same. It's all "today" money. It's dumb money. They are the same as if you just put a pile of cash into the hands of someone random. They still have to go out and hunt for their next dollar.

The reason I don't envy any of those guys for a single second is that 1. It's harmful to do that in life and 2. I've got something that keeps growing. It's not going anywhere. It's not fickle and prone to disruption. I could do no more new sales and we would keep on rolling at a nice pace for years.

I guarantee that in 10 years most of the young hotshots will be nobodies anyways.
Wonderful post brother. I’m not going to even bother responding. You nailed it.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I had this experience when I met a guy in my age but he owns 30 properties with a couple of commercial real estates. I felt embarrassed with what I was consider it before achievement.
The thing is the much you grow in age the more likely you will meet people in your age but has accomplished far more yours.
What these people have we dont have ? I know his rich parents was a factor to accelerate his wealth building process, but wonder if they are using their time different of how we use it.
I've met a LOT of people who have more material goods and wealth than I have. Are they more "successful" than me? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what measuring stick you use to answer that question. Are they happier than me? Again, that depends on one's priorities. I must admit that IF I really wanted that level of financial success, I'd be working on it right now -- rather than making this post.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

First thing you should do is learn not to be jealous. It will sabotage you. You want to be friends with people like that and network with them (ok not if they’re rude or liars etc but you get the idea).

Stop comparing yourself. Stop viewing yourself negatively.

Start looking at other people’s successes as inspiration and not competition.

Instead of assuming someone
A. Cheated
B. Got a handout
C. Got lucky

Assume they know something you don’t know, and open your mind and ears to the opportunity in front of you.

Approach people above you and below you with this mindset equally, with the same absorbing attitude and with the skills of an excellent learner and listener. And, collaborator.

That is how you will succeed.

There will always be someone more successful than you. You can view them as an irritant, an obstacle, a problem... Or as an asset, a resource, and a peer. You know what? If you don't view them as your peer, they aren't going to become your peer. You are going to stay stuck.

I know so many people who think everyone below them is lazy and everyone above them is a cheater. Don't be that person.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
This used to happen to me earlier in life. These days I just shrug my shoulders and wish them the best.
Why now it is no longer bothering you ? what has you realized now that you didn't when you were younger ?
Is that you no longer feel in competition with them?

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
I've had those exact thoughts.
You have to put those to the side and either be indifferent to it or happy for him..

Embarrassment can make you realise a few things but don't let it own you.

He had a headstart with wealthy parents so thats his life and yours is yours.

Maybe you can learn something from him and that's what you should focus on. Find a way to extract value and provide it - this could be an opportunity

G

Guest-5ty5s4

A lot of people with wealthy parents wind up dead or broke or addicted to drugs in their parents' (rather fancy) basements...

This guy knows something you don't know. You should learn from him and be inspired by him...

I know I'm repeating myself but the responses you're getting are cementing a FIXED mindset when you should have a GROWTH mindset.

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
I used to be jealous of them : "oh they are so lucky, why do I have to struggle while they just have to enjoy life".
Then I read few books, MJ's one were helpful too and I changed my mindset. I realised that I could learn from each one of them, make them friend of mine and grow thanks to them.

If there parent were rich and they were even more money, that's amazing, I can certainly learn from that.

If they started from scratch and build something, that's even better !

If they are just bullshitting and spending their parent/gambling/crypo money and dont bring any value, I wish them good luck knowing what is waiting for them.

RN I am looking for this kind of persons .

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
Why now it is no longer bothering you ? what has you realized now that you didn't when you were younger ?
Is that you no longer feel in competition with them?
It no longer bothers me because of lived life experience, I have 3 kids, these days I can't focus nor do I want to on being in competition for finances. These days the things that concern are my kids well being, our health, how we spend our time, etc. Money is actually such a small piece of life for myself, I'm just not focused on it, there is much more to life than one data point. It took me a long time to find this out, to find myself, you must do the work. Ironically, while not being focused on it I am a high earner and have my finances in order.

I am good friends with a millionaire and while he is a great guy, I would not trade my life for his. I don't know what age you are and how much life you have lived but a good marker to look out for is,would you trade your life for someone else's life like Leonardo DeCaprio or Jeff Bezos or someone like that? You must answer honestly from your heart, if the answer is yes , then you still have work to do and it has nothing to do with money.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
This guy knows something you don't know. You should learn from him and be inspired by him...
Well I know his larger family and they are all good at doing business, non of them was employee, they always chose self employment. I am not jealous or hater , it is just that feeling of like you didn't accomplish enough especially when you were hard worker all your life. maybe didn't have people around me to advise me from early age what make better sense financially. maybe I didnt work smart (although I though I did ).

For those who asking me to befriend him I think it is hard, I am still operating under survival mode ( work to pay his bills and obligations) and any venture could eat up all my saving , while him he is now focusing on hunting next opportunity, life expenses is no longer a worry for him , also time wise he is more free than I am since he don't have to work the way I do.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Well I know his larger family and they are all good at doing business, non of them was employee, they always chose self employment. I am not jealous or hater , it is just that feeling of like you didn't accomplish enough especially when you were hard worker all your life. maybe didn't have people around me to advise me from early age what make better sense financially. maybe I didnt work smart (although I though I did ).

For those who asking me to befriend him I think it is hard, I am still operating under survival mode ( work to pay his bills and obligations) and any venture could eat up all my saving , while him he is now focusing on hunting next opportunity, life expenses is no longer a worry for him , also time wise he is more free than I am since he don't have to work the way I do.
This is totally understandable. My advice to you is to try and stay positive and focus on yourself. This comparison is going to do nothing but bring you down.

You have to stick with it and focus on you. Don't compare. It's a waste of time, and you're cheating yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisLeeHoskins

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jan 24, 2022
Chantilly, VA
It's weird to get bitter about someone's fortunes. The way that I saw these things is that if someone has something that you want, albeit a lot of what you want, then make them the goal and play the game of why that is. If they have exceptional character traits then emulate them; if they have weird routines then try them yourself.

A mentor isn't someone who has to hold your hand through a process, they could just be a person who you wish to strive to be.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
I've met a LOT of people who have more material goods and wealth than I have. Are they more "successful" than me? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what measuring stick you use to answer that question. Are they happier than me? Again, that depends on one's priorities. I must admit that IF I really wanted that level of financial success, I'd be working on it right now -- rather than making this post.
This reminds me of a quote I jotted down years ago (wish I'd noted the author as well now):
"How much we enjoy what we have is more important than how much we have. Life is full of people who have more than they know what to do with, but cannot be content. It is the capacity to enjoy life that brings contentment".

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Where the hell do you know his finances? Maybe he has properties but maybe debts, too.
Other way round: why do you tbink your finances are interesting to him, so you must compare yourself?
Most of my friends live a worker’s life, though some are wealthy and could retire, if they wanted.
I made choices in life, so I can’t allready.
And yes, sometimes I am jealous. I hate me for that. But I wouldn’t want to change my life with any millionaire I know personally.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Where the hell do you know his finances? Maybe he has properties but maybe debts, too.
Other way round: why do you tbink your finances are interesting to him, so you must compare yourself?
Most of my friends live a worker’s life, though some are wealthy and could retire, if they wanted.
I made choices in life, so I can’t allready.
And yes, sometimes I am jealous. I hate me for that. But I wouldn’t want to change my life with any millionaire I know personally.
I too wonder IF you have a complete picture of his situation. I have seen people who "own" a lot of properties end up in bankruptcy court with their hats in their hands. Their aggressive debt load crushed them like a bug. Maybe this man that you admire will end up winning in the end. His story is NOT fully written at this moment.

When I was younger, I felt the same way you do about some of the people around me. They seemed to have all the advantages and I was very green-eyed. Now that I'm older, I understand that my rough beginning is my greatest asset. It has given me a fire in my belly and dogged persistence that most privileged people cannot muster. It has made me very conservative and risk-averse. I thoughtfully build businesses and systems for the long haul. When I fail or lose, I recover quickly.

You may want to adjust your glasses and talk to that guy in the mirror -- rewrite his story. You can choose how you feel about things. Or you can choose not to pay attention to your feelings. Mom used to tell that feeling lie. Maybe she was right.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
It might be hard because somehow our ego makes us easily jealous but one thing that helped was I read, I think it was Naval Ravikant but I'm not sure, saying something like
If you want someone else's success, be ready to accept everything else that is in this person's life: their character, their family, their experience, their failures, their fears, their shortcomings, etc.
You can't just have someone else's success without being willing to also have everything that makes them.
So do you really want to trade places 100%, or do you just want the easy part?

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
If it's in my industry I am all smiles but deep down inside it bothers me. It doesn't bother me on bit that hes more "successful" I am nothing but happy for the person, it bothers me that I am not where I am capable of being. Zero jealousy or envy. I don't care about winning, but I HATE to loose.

If it's windfall money like someone mentioned I just giggle and hope they are smart with the money.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If it's in my industry I am all smiles but deep down inside it bothers me. It doesn't bother me on bit that hes more "successful" I am nothing but happy for the person, it bothers me that I am not where I am capable of being. Zero jealousy or envy. I don't care about winning, but I HATE to loose.

If it's windfall money like someone mentioned I just giggle and hope they are smart with the money.
This is a good mindset tbh, same.

I'm generally inspired by them unless they are a d*ck.

I like your last part... if they won the lottery or their great uncle died and gave it all to them, just chuckle and watch. And if they manage to keep it, be impressed. Most do not.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
I'm a little late but this really caught my eye and had to respond to it directly.

The key to success is, when finding yourself in situations like this, to not have a reaction at all. And if you must react, it should be a reminder to redouble your efforts to get to where you want to be.

Comparing yourself to others is a waste of time that's better spent on building your empire. I don't care who's richer than me or how they got there. I just care if I've improved week-over-week.

Let others play the status game; I'm more concerned about the wealth game.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I would try to befriend that person.

And look, not everyone gets to be Caesar. You need to come to terms with how some people will just do better than you in areas that you find important. It is what it is. What ultimately matters is learning from your betters and playing the hand that you're dealt as best you can.

This tweet is from a satirical account, but it is 100% right:

View: https://twitter.com/asparagoid/status/1497372825107193863
And you never know how long they will be on top. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I have seen a bunch of these high fliers crash and burn. It can happen suddenly with no prior notice. Sometimes Lady Luck turns her back. It's happened to me at times in the past. This is my 5th business cycle and I've gotten caught in a couple of the crashes. Now I make sure that I'm not very vulnerable to those mind-blowing moments. I believe in slow and steady. I'll leave those instant success moments for the other people who have a higher risk tolerance.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina

It would be worth it to ask him the question you've asked us: How does he use his time?

The only thing you'll probably find successful people have that others don't is discipline. While some watch television, play video games, and watch the evening news, others are out there hustling.

I've definitely met younger people much more successful than me. I've been guilty of comparing myself to others but have ultimately learned that it's not productive to do that. We all grow at different paces. Some of us grow slow in the beginning but really take off later, others shine bright in the beginning but taper off. Then there are guys like Elon Musk who shine bright in the beginning and just keep shining brighter. Really it's just best to learn from these people and incorporate their lessons into your own journey.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I would try to befriend that person.

And look, not everyone gets to be Caesar. You need to come to terms with how some people will just do better than you in areas that you find important. It is what it is. What ultimately matters is learning from your betters and playing the hand that you're dealt as best you can.

This tweet is from a satirical account, but it is 100% right:

View: https://twitter.com/asparagoid/status/1497372825107193863
Nice clip, so correct! I know so many that have gotten into crypto for all the wrong reasons. My older brother, for example, looks at it as gambling. Just chips money in there after receiving a hot tip from another idiot and definitely hasn't gotten rich off of it.

And good advice. It's best to focus on your journey and see others who are more successful as potential resources rather than a source of insecurity. You would be surprised by how helpful most people are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.