The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you drive?

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
I’ve been driving on the highway a lot and all this driving got me thinking about how people drive, where they drive, and what they drive.

I want to hear about your highway driving habits. Be totally honest!

What lane do you take?
Ex:
- I take the middle lane in the expressway

What do you drive?
- a red Kia Rio (sad, I know)

What are your driving habits?
- I try to stay 2 seconds away from the driver in front, I drive 10% higher than the posted speed limit (and it’s still too slow for many people who pass me), and I try to stick to the lane I’ll need eventually.

The reason I’m asking is because I want to see if driving habits point out people’s psychology. I’m willing to bet some of the fastlaners don’t drive as often as commuters because they took the fastest lane and got “home”, hence their lack of need to drive.

This is all just theory and I’d love to hear your dirty driving habits!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I think there's something mentally wrong with people that tailgate, yet 80% (?) of people do it. I will leave something like a 3 second gap but still drive the speed limit.

I use driving these days as a way to consciously practice getting better at patience lol, no joke. I don't speed to beat the red light anymore, always look for a chance to let someone in when they need etc.

I found people's driving courtesy in a capital city of a few million quite a lot better than the coastal region of a few hundred thousand I'm living in now, which kind of makes sense even though at first glance it seems it should be the other way around.

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I think there's something mentally wrong with people that tailgate, yet 80% (?) of people do it. I will leave something like a 3 second gap but still drive the speed limit.

Tailgaters are one of the lowest form of life. What's shocking is they do it in the rain and snow in my city all the time.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I generally drive 10-20% over the speed limit on the highway, and do the speed limit or slightly under in residential zones. Anywhere that kids might be I take it super easy.

I hate tailgating, and think that the 2 second rule when going fast on the highway is not even enough. 3 seconds minimum. My life isn't worth giving up over trying to be cool and intimidating the cars in front of me.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I generally drive 10-20% over the speed limit on the highway, and do the speed limit or slightly under in residential zones. Anywhere that kids might be I take it super easy.

I hate tailgating, and think that the 2 second rule when going fast on the highway is not even enough. 3 seconds minimum. My life isn't worth giving up over trying to be cool and intimidating the cars in front of me.
I have literally never used the horn in 30 years of driving. Not trying to win any races here.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I drive a 2004 Ford with 266K Miles.

1. I always do the speed limit on the freeway.
2. On the freeway, I avoid the "fast" lane and drive in the two lanes to the right. The same lanes the truck drivers tend to stay in.
3. I always keep a safe distance and use my signals.
4. I always watch my mirrors for cars behind me and I almost can always predict what they are going to do.

A good driver is safe, is predictable and can predict other car's moves.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I’ve been driving on the highway a lot and all this driving got me thinking about how people drive, where they drive, and what they drive.

I want to hear about your highway driving habits. Be totally honest!

What lane do you take?
Ex:
- I take the middle lane in the expressway

Whatever lane is moving “fast”.

What do you drive?
- a red Kia Rio (sad, I know)

Range Rover Sport - 5L V8

What are your driving habits?

Since I have 500+ horsepower…

… when I get a chance to hit the highway, you know I like to …

Drive like an old grandma. I use cruise control with self driving features with the car. It keeps me slow, steady and far away from other cars.

I’m not in a hurry. F*ck that. I’m important, other people can wait for me.

- I try to stay 2 seconds away from the driver in front, I drive 10% higher than the posted speed limit (and it’s still too slow for many people who pass me), and I try to stick to the lane I’ll need eventually.

The reason I’m asking is because I want to see if driving habits point out people’s psychology. I’m willing to bet some of the fastlaners don’t drive as often as commuters because they took the fastest lane and got “home”, hence their lack of need to drive.

You have a point, say I’m late to my office. So? And being late isn’t about how you drive, it’s about your planning and habits. I’m 99.9% of the time on time or early to all of my meetings, and I drive slow.
This is all just theory and I’d love to hear your dirty driving habits!

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
You have a point, say I’m late to my office. So? And being late isn’t about how you drive, it’s about your planning and habits. I’m 99.9% of the time on time or early to all of my meetings, and I drive slow.
I see the same few people rushing through traffic to get to work on time and wonder why they just don’t leave sooner if it’s such a problem.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
I think there's something mentally wrong with people that tailgate
When someone first starts driving, they are justifiably very anxious because they are fully aware of the dangers involved.

But as people gain more and more experience and get very accustomed to driving, this anxiety tends to numb down and driving is perceived as a normal and safe activity, when in actuality it's one of the leading causes of death and disability amongst young people.

Perhaps a brief review of the death statistics and some basic understanding of physics would deter some of the idiots from tailgating.

Oh - and finding a way to express their shitty ego without endangering human life.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Chevy Suburban, Mercedes GLS 450, Ford Maverick (On Order)

I drive fast when it’s safe. I don’t tailgate. I am generally a little faster than the traffic around me.

If the road is open, I run pretty fast. In residential areas, I tend to go the speed limit.

I have Uniden R7s in both vehicles. I’ll buy the new R8 for the Mercedes when the Maverick shows up. I rarely get tickets. If I do, it’s just what it is. They are rare enough not to bother me.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
When I live in my RV, I travel as little as possible. The more time you spend on the road, the more time you are at risk of being in an accident. A crash is super bad when everything you own is in your vehicle.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The trick to good driving is not to focus on your own driving, but to be paying attention to everyone else's.
With some practice you can learn to quite accurately predict what the cars in front are most likely to do.

This is something I learned to master working in the oil industry in Canada.
In winter, when driving up to 1500km in one day you have to be ultra dialled in.

My own driving style is sharp, but I would say my downside is I tend to get bored sometimes, especially on highways.
Which means I speed when it seems safe to do so.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I used to drive fast.

Between 18-22 caused over 11 accidents, totaled 5 vehicles, and had over 20 citations (5-7 came from one time I tried to run from the cops and didn't get away).

I did all the things I saw on the Fast and Furious.

My liability insurance was close to $500/mo. My cars needed constant work. In all honesty, I don't know how nobody died. I definitely should be dead.

After I got out of the military I stopped driving like a maniac. Started working on mindfulness and became a safe driver.

Today I'm the safest driver. Insurance costs a lot less. Cars last longer. People are willing to sit in my passenger seat again, and my parents even let me drive their cars from time to time. It took a solid decade to regain their trust.

You'll find me in a Ford Escape now. Slow. Cheap. Reliable. Most days I drive less than 2 miles.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My hypothesis: SLOW drivers cause more accidents than FAST drivers.

My stockpile of speeding tickets put me in the latter category.
Speeding is not illegal. It’s legal for a price. Lol.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I used to drive fast.

Between 18-22 caused over 11 accidents, totaled 5 vehicles, and had over 20 citations (5-7 came from one time I tried to run from the cops and didn't get away).

I did all the things I saw on the Fast and Furious.

My liability insurance was close to $500/mo. My cars needed constant work. In all honesty, I don't know how nobody died. I definitely should be dead.

After I got out of the military I stopped driving like a maniac. Started working on mindfulness and became a safe driver.

Today I'm the safest driver. Insurance costs a lot less. Cars last longer. People are willing to sit in my passenger seat again, and my parents even let me drive their cars from time to time. It took a solid decade to regain their trust.

You'll find me in a Ford Escape now. Slow. Cheap. Reliable. Most days I drive less than 2 miles.
If this is true, I think you win.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If this is true, I think you win.
The day I got my first car, a bright red Z34 Chevy Lumina, my dad said, "Don't go hot rodding it." The rest is history.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I used to drive like an idiot. I'm ashamed looking back at it now. Today I drive as safe as I can... even allowed my car insurance company to monitor my driving, and because now I drive like Grandma, I get a big discount on my car insurance.

IMG_2577.jpg

Goodfella999

My biggest regret is not starting sooner
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 29, 2022
South FL
I used to drive like an idiot. I'm ashamed looking back at it now. Today I drive as safe as I can... even allowed my car insurance company to monitor my driving, and because now I drive like Grandma, I get a big discount on my car insurance.

View attachment 45617
No time for slow people on the road when you have a viper, diablo and murci? lol I have no patience

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

View attachment 45617
Wow I've never heard of that before, interesting. I used to sell insurance and something like this would have made my life a lot easier!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 18, 2022
Residential: I universally do ~10 over in-town.
Highway/Tollway: I only leave the left lane to pass the dude that thinks it caps at 80.

I've driven like this since obtaining my license. Multiple speeding tickets over the years, 0 accidents. As many others have stated, it's about being able to predict what someone may/may not do. Of course it isn't foolproof, but I fully trust my ability to do so.

Current vehicle: 2018 Ford Focus ST.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What happened that other 5% @MJ DeMarco? haha

Anomalies, people around here drive like shit, so if you hard brake (to avoid collisions or stop at red lights) you get docked points. 8 miles over, you get docked points. Corner hard, docked points. Read a text message = docked points.

Getting that 95% was terribly difficult.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Anomalies, people around here drive like shit, so if you hard brake (to avoid collisions or stop at red lights) you get docked points. 8 miles over, you get docked points. Corner hard, docked points. Read a text message = docked points.

Getting that 95% was terribly difficult.

Super interesting set up - like gamifying driving.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
Audi A5 S-line (2.7)
I notice that the older I get (48 now) , the more relaxed I drive. Do more people notice this? You're just not that worked up anymore.

......and cruise control is is my savior ;)

todefe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 21, 2022
I've since learned that defensive driving is the best approach. I have noticed that whenever I give people or drivers the chance to cross the road or move into another lane, I have also been able to safely do so.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.