The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you deal with competitor disparaging your products

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
So, just found out that one of my competitors has been corresponding with his list and negatively speaking about one of our products.

For those with experience with this...how do you deal with this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've not had it done to me in my business so far, but I've been around sales for a good long time. All the senior sales reps that talk about this say the same thing: don't disparage the competition. Say something like, 'I'm sure you'll have a good experience with ____ if you choose to go with them. They are a top notch company. then refocus the conversation on what you're good at.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
I've not had it done to me in my business so far, but I've been around sales for a good long time. All the senior sales reps that talk about this say the same thing: don't disparage the competition. Say something like, 'I'm sure you'll have a good experience with ____ if you choose to go with them. They are a top notch company. then refocus the conversation on what you're good at.
Yeah I'm smart enough to not talk shit about my competitors. Most of us in this business are. He's up and coming though. Targeting me.

G

GuestUser141

get rid of him/her. amazon has a zero tolerance for vendors who disrespect customers and will close the vendors account.

Create numerous customer accounts ,purchase pre-paid visa cards,open numerous gmail accounts with safe proxies ($2 per proxy) .once created (10 accounts) buy from your customer then bad review / obtain refunds for faulty products.His seller health will drop, just increase the accounts or purchase aged amazon accounts in order to keep him down or put him out.

End result, he'll end up here looking for advice

Thank You "slainte"

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
So, just found out that one of my competitors has been corresponding with his list and negatively speaking about one of our products.

Sounds like you're doing something right, imagine if he was ignoring you!

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Use all the negative issues he points in his correspondence as building blocks to fix the gaps. Then your product will definitely be better than the competitor's.
Nah. It's mostly opinion based. Not a lot of fact behind what he's saying.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Not a lot of fact behind what he's saying.
^^^^ If that's true I'd beat him in his own game, in a humorous way.

For example, publicly thank him on social media for being such a loyal customer.
Thank him for discouraging his list to buy your products, because you had a supply bottleneck lately.
Tell him he did well. Ask him where you should send his paycheck.

Just an example, pretty sure there are a million ways to do it more elegant than what I've written here.

In essence, I'd position myself as the cool dude who has only good intentions.
And if the competition swallows the bait, they will position themselves as a butthurt
grumpy doofus.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I'm interested in what you would think about another company's product if you had read similar disparaging comments from a rival company, would it stop you from buying the product? If so why?

Opportunity is all around us, this is an opportunity to learn, maybe something about marketing, maybe something about human nature in general, don't get angry, be thankful for the opportunity.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
get rid of him/her. amazon has a zero tolerance for vendors who disrespect customers and will close the vendors account.

Create numerous customer accounts ,purchase pre-paid visa cards,open numerous gmail accounts with safe proxies ($2 per proxy) .once created (10 accounts) buy from your customer then bad review / obtain refunds for faulty products.His seller health will drop, just increase the accounts or purchase aged amazon accounts in order to keep him down or put him out.

End result, he'll end up here looking for advice

Thank You "slainte"

That's just pretty f*cked up tbh..

@Growth & Learn not experienced with this, but I'm always a fan of the humor way to handle those type of things. Done right it will make you look superior to your competitor, since you don't have to use bs like he has to.

After Taco Bell once ran ads featuring guys named Ronald McDonald who just love the restaurant’s new breakfast offerings, McDonald's fired back in a great way:

mcdonalds-954x1024.png

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
mcdonalds-954x1024.png

Wow! That's powerful, it says; "Thanks for reminding people about us" and at the same time saying "Aww, da poor widdle puppy business trying to take on us; sweet." Haha, hate Mac D's, love this ad :D Oh and it also implies "Ve vill crush you, if you try this shit again." Lol oh lol oh lol

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
This is what i detest about the online culture....say something..no facts..to bring another business down. Heck there were even businsses set up to bad mouth companies. And then people being people will take their "opinion" as fact.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana

This is sooo NOT fastlane behavior. Please read the book and reconsider. Please no one actually do things like this. This is just the type of thing that has motivated our culture to label all businessmen as greedy, manipulative crooks. I can only hope that this was posted in jest.

Our time and energies would be much better spent working to provide the best product/service possible and providing our customer an awesome experience with our businesses.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah I'm smart enough to not talk shit about my competitors. Most of us in this business are. He's up and coming though. Targeting me.
I talked with a sales rep from TopTal on Skype yesterday. I told her about my experience with Upwork and how it was pretty close to the worst customer service experience I've ever had. She just smiled knowingly and started talking about how great TopTal is to work with. Very classy...she said a ton without having to say anything.

G

GuestUser141

This is sooo NOT fastlane behavior. Please read the book and reconsider. Please no one actually do things like this. This is just the type of thing that has motivated our culture to label all businessmen as greedy, manipulative crooks. I can only hope that this was posted in jest.

Our time and energies would be much better spent working to provide the best product/service possible and providing our customer an awesome experience with our businesses.

I two believe in customer centric methodology, how ever, if as i believe the thread writer,was experiencing a bullying tactic ,then take the gloves off.

I,m for marquis of queensbury rules,however,the world doesn,t always abide by rules,as such it's always good to let a bully understand this,if you have to go toe to toe.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.