The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I turn boxing into an entrepreneurial business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

KingJones

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 11, 2016
So I've discovered that boxing is one of my passions. But I just started at the age of 20( I'm 21 now) so I've only been doing it for over a year. But the thing is idk if I'd ever be good enough to become a professional or if I'd even want to for possible health risks. Is there a way I can turn boxing into a business or should I just keep it as a fun hobby?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Doubtful.

It's a tiny industry, dying, and the majority of money gets distributed to the best of the best.

On top of that, your level of competition is insane. You have boxers from all over the world vying for a sliver of the industry's revenues. Even if you're the #20 boxer in the world (for your weight class), you're making very little. Add to that an average career of a few years, and you're shit out of luck, missing half your brain cells, and broke.

Promoting doesn't seem any better. Top promoters are established, and getting more and more competitive as the industry gets smaller. The industry is also known for being run by shady "investors". Do you really want to enter an industry where you're going up against organized crime? Because I wouldn't.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
You could absolutely have a business related to boxing. Solve a problem. Maybe boxers need a new style of some equipment, or new training gear, or new training aids (physical or digital), etc.

There's a LOT more you could do if you think about it. Of course, this is all related to the industry if you want to stay near it. Not actually you boxing.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
feel like b2c in this industry would be tough/too small of a market, unless you sold the ego appeal of boxing and/or created some type of Zumba/Pure Barre class for boxing

however, i would guess most boxing gyms have similar problems/issues, figure out what they are and go b2b

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So I've discovered that boxing is one of my passions. But I just started at the age of 20( I'm 21 now) so I've only been doing it for over a year. But the thing is idk if I'd ever be good enough to become a professional or if I'd even want to for possible health risks. Is there a way I can turn boxing into a business or should I just keep it as a fun hobby?

Sell boxing gear. Find a niche within that niche. I think you'll do fine since you box, you'll know what people want and need.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
When I was at school, fights didn't need to be promoted. They promoted themselves!

Find boxers and book a ring.

Create flyers/posters and distribute them about town & on facebook talking about X fight on Y date.

Preferably use an online booking system, so you can collect email addresses (to promote the next event - recurring income). Post the link to it on the flyers.

(You could also print out tickets and recruit some people to sell them, on commission. It could work, but seems more difficult to me. You'll need a way to ensure they bring you the money back, that tickets can't be counterfeited etc

Edit: allow for affiliates to promote your link)

I can't imagine it would be that difficult. I'm hardly a boxing enthusiast, but If i saw a flyer for a boxing match around town, i'd probably go along to the spectacle.

Last edited:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Make digital products to help people learn the fundamentals.

There is a shortage of good info, and a lot of people out there just like you except no access to a gym to learn.

A teach yourself product could help a lot of people.

Just remember, it isn't the product - it is your execution.

I freaking love boxing

Ricoboxing

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Oct 30, 2014
Canada
I love boxing too, I had 16 pro fights from 2000-2003. I'm sure there is a way to turn it into a business, but you have to remember that most people who are boxers come from lower income families.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I might know a tiny bit about this industry...

Before you do anything I would get much better educated. Who are the major players in the product supply world? Who runs the biggest fitness programs? Who runs the professional training programs? Who promotes and puts on professional or even amateur fights?

... I mean... I *could* tell you the answers to all of those but what would be the fun in that? Show us how dedicated and hard working you are in discovering a market, a potential customer in that market, and a potential need you could fulfill for them that is not being met --or-- isn't being met well.

You can do anything you set your mind to but if you're going to step into that ring (pun intended) you're going to have to learn to box (also pun intended).

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
- Licence up and coming pros image rights with some sort of Rev share to the fighter, sell t shirts, apparel etc . Although relatively small, most boxers have a decent sized, fiercely loyal hard core of home town fans, certainly in the UK anyway.

- honest, transparent financial advice/planning, to try and look out for fighters after their career and to stop them getting ripped off by shady managers etc like Tyson was

- offer on demand style apparel and equipment with the boxers brand on, I guess a bit like tee spring aimed at boxers and their fans.

- full online brand, social, etc management for boxers, you create their site, social presence and manage it for a monthly fee.

- VIP fan group experiences, meet the boxers, great seats etc.

- crowd funding for local boxers with promise, local gyms etc.

- real results based fantasy boxing league app

- boxing manager app/game where you start in a rundown little gym managing a stable of amateurs and have to guide their careers to pro success. Just like the football manager games that are so addictive! Licence real life boxers so you can use their names/image.

- smart headguard for kids/amateurs and sparring, that measured punch impact and warned when it reached concussive or dangerous levels in a fight or session.

- dehydration or other aids that safely allowed fighters to make weight rapidly somehow.

- oxygen training tent that allowed simulating reduced oxygen for altitude training without leaving your sea level gym.

Time for bed, huge boxing fan and had a sudden brain dump lol. That boxing manager game app has some legs though I reckon! :)

Last edited:

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Check out Christian Guzman on YouTube and do what he does, he turned his personal coaching into something much bigger.

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
Being a professional boxer probably not, but you can help people who want to be better at boxing. Post videos showing people how to box and giving helpful advice on that. Build your audience (and your email list if you haven't done that) and you can make money by promoting courses that give people a more in-depth look at boxing.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Look at what others in your field did: Chuck Norris did franchises (intentional iteration), the Gracies made tapes sold mailorder, etc. Look at the MMA world for ideas, boxing is a little gym-centric. Make a video "how to find a boxing gym". Make a website that refers people to boxing gyms, get the referral money (like MJ did with Limos.com). If you can't take their money directly, earn a piece by helping them give it to someone else.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.