The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did you get out of action faking?

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway
I realised the fastlane about 6 months ago. After that i decided i wanted to quit video-games and quit wasting my time watching netflix. Since then, i've read about 9 books, and started lifting/excersicing regularly. I feel like i'm stuck doing this over and over, and i know it won't help me all that much with my entreprenaurial journey. I'm sure this is a common question here on this forum and i might get hate from writing such a thread like this. How did you get out of this endless cycle? How can you make definite progress from this position?
Thanks in regards.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I realised the fastlane about 6 months ago. After that i decided i wanted to quit video-games and quit wasting my time watching netflix. Since then, i've read about 9 books, and started lifting/excersicing regularly. I feel like i'm stuck doing this over and over, and i know it won't help me all that much with my entreprenaurial journey. I'm sure this is a common question here on this forum and i might get hate from writing such a thread like this. How did you get out of this endless cycle? How can you make definite progress from this position?
Thanks in regards.
E-commerce or to B SAAS. Look for ideas there.

salsha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 16, 2023
Thanks in regards.
It’s tough, it’s been an issue for me too. I’ve been reading every book I can find. I know it’s mainly fear, perfectionism, and analysis paralysis that’s stopping me though. The best way to get out of the cycle is to just start working on something.

Find a niche area, figure out their pain-points, figure out how to help solve a pain-point with a product/service, test out the market before creating it. Then onto the next step. It sounds easier than it is, but just focusing on one thing at a time helps it be less overwhelming.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
1. Set goals.
2. Work towards them daily.
3. Journal daily on your progress (or lack of it).

The last point is very important. If you don't like journaling (not all people like writing), find some other way to self-reflect. With the help of a coach, some accountability app, a prayer, etc.

As you're young, your goals may change frequently. What is important is that you have goals, and you reflect daily on how to improve tomorrow.

The reason to do is:
1. You keep yourself accountable. You may even become overly critical of yourself. But, if you do not do this, you will follow the expectations of others, the criticism of others, and your own short-term desires. Most adults are like this, but it is not very mature.
2. Even if you fail almost every day, if you document the failures, you will begin to see patterns in your behaviour. These can be bad habits and what trigger them, or unknown strengths / weaknesses you possess naturally. This leads to self-knowledge. You become more understanding towards yourself, towards others (through understanding your own psychology), and effective in altering your own behaviour (self-regulation, AKA self-discipline).

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway
1. Set goals.
2. Work towards them daily.
3. Journal daily on your progress (or lack of it).

The last point is very important. If you don't like journaling (not all people like writing), find some other way to self-reflect. With the help of a coach, some accountability app, a prayer, etc.

As you're young, your goals may change frequently. What is important is that you have goals, and you reflect daily on how to improve tomorrow.

The reason to do is:
1. You keep yourself accountable. You may even become overly critical of yourself. But, if you do not do this, you will follow the expectations of others, the criticism of others, and your own short-term desires. Most adults are like this, but it is not very mature.
2. Even if you fail almost every day, if you document the failures, you will begin to see patterns in your behaviour. These can be bad habits and what trigger them, or unknown strengths / weaknesses you possess naturally. This leads to self-knowledge. You become more understanding towards yourself, towards others (through understanding your own psychology), and effective in altering your own behaviour (self-regulation, AKA self-discipline).
Thanks so much for the great answer. I will do waht you said, and continue improving, thanks again :)

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Thanks in regards.
It seems new entrepreneurs find themselves in this same predicament quite often. The irony of all of this is we're essentially exchanging one script for another. People like to spiel the same actions as if they're "God's answers to all problems." My favorite aspect to it is the fact that a lot of it is spieled by people who have yet to accomplish anything, and are simply piggybacking off of the words of the successful.
But the successful people will still swear up and down it's true because who doesn't love having their ego rubbed?

"Just lift."
"Clean everything around you, including the trimming on your neighbor's doors."
And my favorite - especially if you're US-based - "yeah, man, all of that is lame. Just go start a power washing company."
Etc.

Sure, it will make you feel good and increase your confidence. But until you're working on shit that goes beyond "let's get shredded, bruv" and "I needed money yesteryear" that happiness will be fleeting. Yes, you should be focusing on your health, obviously. But going to the gym isn't going to suddenly make you successful.

If you truly want to get out of your rut, it's time to revisit your progress, analyze where you want to go, and then take action. You're in the gym or whatever. Awesome, now what have you done in regards to ACTUAL entrepreneurship?

What skills do you have that you can leverage?
Do you have a product?
Are you adding value?
How can you help people?
Have you identified an audience?
Have you searched for an audience?
Have a posted a single TikTok video?

Do you see where I'm going with this? What are you actually doing towards the successful aspect, not the I want to be ripped aspect? Start there.

Figure out how you can help people now. It doesn't have to be anything major and you don't have to get paid. Go help an old lady cross the street. Talk to her. Ask her what her problems are. Analyze said problems, and see if you can find a solution that she'd pay for (without taking advantage of her; that's someone's grandma, my dude). Do you have the necessary skillset to execute the solution? No? You can probably learn it for free online. And if you do already have it, then congrats, you're ahead of the game.

Focus on helping other people instead of helping yourself.

Cheers.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 21, 2016
While reading for the purpose of learning is objectively better than playing video games, it is subject to massive diminishing returns. There are very few things to understand to get started in business. You can master the details as they come up. The shortest path between any two points is a straight line and in business, that line is:

Identify problem > Solve it > Sell it

If you're not driving down this path, then you're action faking. So how do you get out of action faking? By plotting your actions and seeing if they fall on this line.

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway
It seems new entrepreneurs find themselves in this same predicament quite often. The irony of all of this is we're essentially exchanging one script for another. People like to spiel the same actions as if they're "God's answers to all problems." My favorite aspect to it is the fact that a lot of it is spieled by people who have yet to accomplish anything, and are simply piggybacking off of the words of the successful.
But the successful people will still swear up and down it's true because who doesn't love having their ego rubbed?

"Just lift."
"Clean everything around you, including the trimming on your neighbor's doors."
And my favorite - especially if you're US-based - "yeah, man, all of that is lame. Just go start a power washing company."
Etc.

Sure, it will make you feel good and increase your confidence. But until you're working on shit that goes beyond "let's get shredded, bruv" and "I needed money yesteryear" that happiness will be fleeting. Yes, you should be focusing on your health, obviously. But going to the gym isn't going to suddenly make you successful.

If you truly want to get out of your rut, it's time to revisit your progress, analyze where you want to go, and then take action. You're in the gym or whatever. Awesome, now what have you done in regards to ACTUAL entrepreneurship?

What skills do you have that you can leverage?
Do you have a product?
Are you adding value?
How can you help people?
Have you identified an audience?
Have you searched for an audience?
Have a posted a single TikTok video?

Do you see where I'm going with this? What are you actually doing towards the successful aspect, not the I want to be ripped aspect? Start there.

Figure out how you can help people now. It doesn't have to be anything major and you don't have to get paid. Go help an old lady cross the street. Talk to her. Ask her what her problems are. Analyze said problems, and see if you can find a solution that she'd pay for (without taking advantage of her; that's someone's grandma, my dude). Do you have the necessary skillset to execute the solution? No? You can probably learn it for free online. And if you do already have it, then congrats, you're ahead of the game.

Focus on helping other people instead of helping yourself.

Cheers.
Damn, this really woke me up.. I'm really going to try in the coming months to help people and deliver value. I guess, it's an insane amount if snow here in Norway, so maybe i should help the elders with snow removal? I might also help people get down their christmas lights, i guess. Well, thanks for the awsome reply, people like you make this forum a useful place for action-fakers like me ;)

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Damn, this really woke me up.. I'm really going to try in the coming months to help people and deliver value. I guess, it's an insane amount if snow here in Norway, so maybe i should help the elders with snow removal? I might also help people get down their christmas lights, i guess. Well, thanks for the awsome reply, people like you make this forum a useful place for action-fakers like me ;)
Don't sell yourself short. While going to the gym (probably) won't make you financially successful, being able to legitimately commit to something long-term is an accomplishment in of itself. So give yourself more grace as most people can't commit to shit for 6+ months. That alone gives you a 90%+ edge over your competition.

You're already beginning to morph your mentality. That's all it takes. You're off to a decent start, especially with the snow removal, but I suspect most people don't mind removing Christmas lights they put up, but I could be wrong there, so ask them anyway.

There's a fine line between "think big" and "think feasibly." Keep in mind we must all start somewhere. While shoveling driveways is child's play, you're not ready to own <insert big company you like here>.

Don't allow this discourage you, however. Entrepreneurship is akin to working out in that it's possible to expedite results with precise execution and unbreakable ambition.

Cheers.

Pabblo

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 8, 2022
Don't sell yourself short. While going to the gym (probably) won't make you financially successful, being able to legitimately commit to something long-term is an accomplishment in of itself. So give yourself more grace as most people can't commit to shit for 6+ months. That alone gives you a 90%+ edge over your competition.

You're already beginning to morph your mentality. That's all it takes. You're off to a decent start, especially with the snow removal, but I suspect most people don't mind removing Christmas lights they put up, but I could be wrong there, so ask them anyway.

There's a fine line between "think big" and "think feasibly." Keep in mind we must all start somewhere. While shoveling driveways is child's play, you're not ready to own <insert big company you like here>.

Don't allow this discourage you, however. Entrepreneurship is akin to working out in that it's possible to expedite results with precise execution and unbreakable ambition.

Cheers.
Good said. I think that at the beginning it is need a time to shape your beliefs first. When you switch your attitude from self-focus to helping others and create value. You will tune to other things and you are going to see more like a new business opportunity. When you grow experience you see more opportunities and learn how to execute them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.