The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can my wife make money online?

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
Hello everyone. For those of you entrepreneur's who make money online. Have you tried to convinced your significant other to also make money online? If so was it the same route you did or something easier?

I currently have my own drop ship business online. I've tried to get my wife to start a similar business but the drop ship model seemed to difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an easier online business model I could introduce her to that wouldn't seem to difficult for a beginner? She also tried to freelancing but did not like it. She recently switched to a higher paying job that she hates with a passion. I figure now she has the motivation to make something happen online if I can show her the path.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My girlfriend started selling her knitwear, to friends and online (Etsy), with the caveat that I take care of the online stuff. She took the pictures, etc. I'll be doing a re-launch of the store in late September so she can get ready for Christmas.

She's super Slowlane, not really entrepreneurial at all, but it's not hard to sell "Make money doing what you were going to do anyway".

Another example: my mother is an author, published and everything. I convinced her to write a story for Kindle audiences, so she can learn the process behind that. She's still putting the story together, though.

I don't think it's very hard to get a significant other into business with baby steps.

You could start by having her go to a garage sale and sell what she gets on eBay. Set up the 'complicated' stuff for her (even though the 'complicated' stuff takes like 5 minutes, it's still boring, and it doesn't help the lesson). Show her how easy it is to make a dollar online.

Let her decide whether to scale it, though, since scale can come with its own headaches.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Agree with Bila. You lost me at "convinced". Read the book. Pass it along. Not everyone is cut out for being an entrepreneur. Don't force it on people.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Once you get through the book, you will realize you are capable of building something that will provide for you... and for her... and for your future generations. It's not as much about what she can do to replace her income... what can you build to explode your income?

Change your goal to... how can I set it up so my wife never has to work again?

You might want to look at converting your online knowledge away from a drop ship model (small margins, zero control) into a business where you can now take everything you have learned about eCommerce and apply it in an arena where you can gain more control, and eventual equity.

Think less about creating a job for yourself (or her) and more about how to build something with SCALE, NEED, barriers to ENTRY, CONTROL, and something that separates your TIME from your income. That's how you... and she... will become FREE.

Good luck. Keep reading.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Go back and read your OP.

Think we are all just doing the 'hard way' for fun? Seems like the desire to create value would be the first step....

+1 for @Bila

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
She does not have an INSIDERS account so I told her this morning I would post for her. Shes currently at work grinding the 9-5, well 9-6. thought this thread would turn out differently and I could show her a couple ideas. However its okay. @Vigilante I know what you mean. I hate the drop ship model. I am in the process of testing out another business idea. Waiting for the sample from China.

Last edited:

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Hello everyone. For those of you entrepreneur's who make money online. Have you tried to convinced your significant other to also make money online? If so was it the same route you did or something easier?

My wife is my best business partner. She comes from a sloooowlane family..so I got lucky I guess. Life is amazing when your wife is onboard with business stuff. I noticed that since we are both on the same page our direction and goals are completely aligned. (some people will probably disagree with that for various reasons such as the divorce rate, but I don't give a shit so I'm not interested in hearing how it's a bad idea to involve your wife in a business).

First, don't try to convince her, that's not going to work. If she is not buying into the lifestyle then intrigue her. Make it seem interesting & fun, because it is.

One thing that helped me was involving my wife in everything that has failed and been successful. My wife has been part of meetings with investors, major business decisions, successes, and failures.

I think that a big turning point was the day that she took off from her day job to go to a meeting with me. The owner wrote us a $4,000 check right on the spot. In that moment she realized that 1.) She made way more money in one day & 2) She is pretty damn good at sales. Try to subject your wife to passive income that she helps to generate. I think that's the key...it's hard to forget the feeling of make your first dollar on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
Yea she does not need to be convinced I probably should not have used that word. She already wants my life style but doesn't know what to try next.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
My wife is my best business partner. She comes from a sloooowlane family..so I got lucky I guess. Life is amazing when your wife is onboard with business stuff. I noticed that since we are both on the same page our direction and goals are completely aligned. (some people will probably disagree with that for various reasons such as the divorce rate, but I don't give a shit so I'm not interested in hearing how it's a bad idea to involve your wife in a business).
My wife and I are the same way.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How can my wife make money online?

How can your wife create value online?

Hint: If it's easy, then she's not really creating value because easy doesn't solve any problems.

Starter kits:

Ebay, Etsy, Craigslist Hustle, TeeSpring, Fiverr, Elance

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
We talked about this before and always ended up drawing a blank. I'm not sure if its because we are not thinking outside or not.

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 20, 2014
UK
Why don't you work together on something?

My Husband and I have our own things online - he produces/mixes music and I have my websites that just make money without me doing much these days so free time. We are working on a fastlane project together. It is my vision in a way (as I have the experience in the niche) but its so nice to do it together. We split things depending on our strengths as well. I get to bounce ideas of someone too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco can you send a PM? Do not have the ability to PM you. Unrelated to the thread.

I don't take PM's. To contact forum/me use "contact us" form linked at bottom right of page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.