The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I understand myself? (Motivation/Discipline)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Sam Kennedy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 21, 2016
I’m trying to understand myself and how I can be better disciplined/motivated. The question I’m trying to answer is this:

How come I can wake up one day, get straight out of bed, get ready, set myself tasks for the day, stay focused and achieve a lot, then on the very next day sleep in, get distracted constantly, feel unfocused and get very little accomplished? What is the deciding factor that determines how my day will go?

I’ve managed to isolate a few factors which I’ve observed:

- Hydration, whenever I think of the days I’ve been in the best mood and achieved a lot, I’ve also had to use the bathroom a lot
- Sunlight, I tend to be more productive the sunnier the weather, though not always
- Sleep, if I get five hours I am generally really productive but crash hard later in the day, 7-8 is optimal, 9+ and the day is a write off

Can anyone recommend any books or other resources that could better help me understand myself and my motivation? If I can figure out what this “switch” is I could get so much more achieved!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Atomic Habits by James Clear is a really good book on how to build and break habits. He goes through some specific actionable advice as well as the logic behind those things to help you understand how and why they work.

I've found the Pomodoro technique is a good way to just hammer stuff out for long stretches at a time without getting burned out or bored. I used it when I was a freelance writer, very useful for that, but it can be applied to many different tasks.

0dysseus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 23, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Just my $0.02: see what you are resisting, where are you going against your body the most.

Example: I kept trying to get up early in the morning, rise and shine, seaze the day, all of that. It only made me miserable since I was constantly failing. I'm talking like years of trying here. No matter what I do or how long I keep going to bed earlier, I always end up in the same place.

After I kinda accepted that often times it just feels more natural and more productive for me to stay up later, things got better. I guess some people are simply night owls, and I am probably one of them. Resistance is futile.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying stay up late. But see if there's something that you are trying hard to avoid, when actually your entire body is leading you there. It may help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.