The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I make a gift a tax deduction?

Taxes and regulation

LarryG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 29, 2007
Bremen, GA
I am putting together a cruise and review course for new graduate nurses. I know that as a graduate nurse the payment for a review course after school is a tax deduction since it is a related expense to the students future occupation.
My question is this; on a value added review at sea (same review packaged as a cruise), how can I sell graduation gift certificates to third parties and still encourage some type of tax break to the spouse or parents purchasing the course? Any help is appreciated.:thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I am putting together a cruise and review course for new graduate nurses. I know that as a graduate nurse the payment for a review course after school is a tax deduction since it is a related expense to the students future occupation.
My question is this; on a value added review at sea (same review packaged as a cruise), how can I sell graduation gift certificates to third parties and still encourage some type of tax break to the spouse or parents purchasing the course? Any help is appreciated.:thankyousign:

I want to acknowledge the question...and let you know that I'm stumped.

Here's the issue I'm running into: The person paying is the one eligible for the tax deduction (if there was one). So, the education deduction for the gift recipient is deductible, but because they didn't pay, there is no deduction.

You need two things: deductibility because of expense type (in this case education) and payment.

So, I'm stuck.....

LarryG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 29, 2007
Bremen, GA
First of all, thank you for the reply.
The nitch I am marketing this to is a group of new graduates, but the people financing the vacation/review are in many instances will be their parents or spouse. I am envisioning a "golden ticket" wrapped for a surprise gift to the student, but still would like to have some tax saving marketability to the benefactors.
Is it best to let the student claim the education expense and make the deduction from their earnings?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.