• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How can I make a gift a tax deduction?

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by LarryG, Jan 10, 2008.

1. LarryG

LarryG New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $18
    I am putting together a cruise and review course for new graduate nurses. I know that as a graduate nurse the payment for a review course after school is a tax deduction since it is a related expense to the students future occupation.
    My question is this; on a value added review at sea (same review packaged as a cruise), how can I sell graduation gift certificates to third parties and still encourage some type of tax break to the spouse or parents purchasing the course? Any help is appreciated.:thankyousign:

2. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $134
    I want to acknowledge the question...and let you know that I'm stumped.

Here's the issue I'm running into: The person paying is the one eligible for the tax deduction (if there was one). So, the education deduction for the gift recipient is deductible, but because they didn't pay, there is no deduction.

You need two things: deductibility because of expense type (in this case education) and payment.

So, I'm stuck.....

3. LarryG

LarryG New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $18
    First of all, thank you for the reply.
    The nitch I am marketing this to is a group of new graduates, but the people financing the vacation/review are in many instances will be their parents or spouse. I am envisioning a "golden ticket" wrapped for a surprise gift to the student, but still would like to have some tax saving marketability to the benefactors.
    Is it best to let the student claim the education expense and make the deduction from their earnings?

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.