The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How can I make a gift a tax deduction?

LarryG

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Dec 29, 2007
Bremen, GA
I am putting together a cruise and review course for new graduate nurses. I know that as a graduate nurse the payment for a review course after school is a tax deduction since it is a related expense to the students future occupation.
My question is this; on a value added review at sea (same review packaged as a cruise), how can I sell graduation gift certificates to third parties and still encourage some type of tax break to the spouse or parents purchasing the course? Any help is appreciated.:thankyousign:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
I am putting together a cruise and review course for new graduate nurses. I know that as a graduate nurse the payment for a review course after school is a tax deduction since it is a related expense to the students future occupation.
My question is this; on a value added review at sea (same review packaged as a cruise), how can I sell graduation gift certificates to third parties and still encourage some type of tax break to the spouse or parents purchasing the course? Any help is appreciated.:thankyousign:
I want to acknowledge the question...and let you know that I'm stumped.

Here's the issue I'm running into: The person paying is the one eligible for the tax deduction (if there was one). So, the education deduction for the gift recipient is deductible, but because they didn't pay, there is no deduction.

You need two things: deductibility because of expense type (in this case education) and payment.

So, I'm stuck.....

OP
OP
LarryG

LarryG

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Dec 29, 2007
Bremen, GA
First of all, thank you for the reply.
The nitch I am marketing this to is a group of new graduates, but the people financing the vacation/review are in many instances will be their parents or spouse. I am envisioning a "golden ticket" wrapped for a surprise gift to the student, but still would like to have some tax saving marketability to the benefactors.
Is it best to let the student claim the education expense and make the deduction from their earnings?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom