The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I know when an idea is too far fetched?

Feedback

Texxip

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 8, 2023
A few days ago, I posted on this forum about a website idea I had that after doing the market research and digging, felt that it could be a real good path into the beginning of my true fastlane journey. But after some thinking and helpful advice from others on the forum, I realize that this idea as a beginner, is VERY overwhelming to achieve the service I want to give on the website and would require easily a few years to execute if I learn from the beginning.

I can't tell if this is a sign to pursue other ideas or stick it out because the hard things people don't want to do is where the money is, it's not easy.

I spend so much of my time (20 years old) thinking about what to do and how to do things that I stress myself out seemingly to a very unhealthy level. I WANT to work towards my entrepreneurial success but I feel I can never know what is right and what is wrong to pursue.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A good way to think about business is like sports.

When you start to play, you can't expect to compete in the Olympics to start.

You start with simple competition.
Then local competitions.
The state.
Then country.
Then worldwide.

So when you have no business experience and you think you can start the next Amazon, it's like saying, "Hey, I just started playing basketball, you think I can play for the NY Knicks by next year?"

Get some experience under your belt. Play some competitions. Level up. Learn. Fail. Repeat.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
as a beginner
If you see yourself as a beginner, the objective should be to learn/develop. Your first idea, even if it goes well, will probably not change your life. In movies, the main character goes through the "hero's journey". A movie is two hours, your life is thousands of hours. You go through the mental "hero's journey" daily as you learn and progress.
if I learn from the beginning
You don't start at the 'beginning'. You know things already. In fact, this is the only way to learn new things. You build upon previous knowledge / understanding. If you know -nothing- about some subject / skill: Ask yourself why. Maybe you have other interests, natural talents/strengths that are better to build upon.
I can't tell if this is a sign
Looking for signs and indications is dangerous. It makes you susceptible to confirmation bias. You can collect more data (facts) to form a mental model that guides you in decision making. That's if you're cautious. Some people simply disregard the facts and do it anyway.
I WANT to work towards my entrepreneurial success but I feel I can never know what is right and what is wrong to pursue.
You can't account for all variables and predict what will work vs. what will not. All you can do is make assessments of opportunities and risks, based on the reality around you and your natural instincts.

If you ask Elon Musk if an idea is 'far fetched' he will say it is not, as long as it obeys the laws of physics. The appropriate question you should ask is something like "How do I determine if an idea is feasible with my current skills, mindset and resources, and will let me develop as an entrepreneur?" You can't ask this in a question in a vacuum. It's about YOU, the IDEA and the MARKET. It requires you to list and reflect on "current skills, mindset and resources", your plans for the future, and your appetite for risk.

Texxip

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 8, 2023
A good way to think about business is like sports.

When you start to play, you can't expect to compete in the Olympics to start.

You start with simple competition.
Then local competitions.
The state.
Then country.
Then worldwide.

So when you have no business experience and you think you can start the next Amazon, it's like saying, "Hey, I just started playing basketball, you think I can play for the NY Knicks by next year?"

Get some experience under your belt. Play some competitions. Level up. Learn. Fail. Repeat
So, don't strive for this big idea I have just yet? Achieve smaller victories before taking on the final boss? All I have going on for a side hustle as of right now is being apart of the Amazon Influencer Program (yes I know it is not a controllable business and I rely on their platform) and that makes me $700 a month on average. I use this money as rent money as I'm in college right now so could you recommend to try and scale this side hustle as much as possible before venturing off doing 2 different endeavors at once?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Identify what you would like to accomplish this year that will take lots of work. Make a list.

"Save $20,000"
"Get bench press to 225"
"Go on 20 first dates this year"

Or whatever it is.

Print it out on a poster from canva and hang it up.
Wallpaper on your phone and computer.

Example: Placeholder goals, mine are a bit different and there's a couple more.

example goals.png

Then, clean your room, your entire environment. Clean out your phone, your computer files. Clean your dirty sneakers. Clean your life up. Cleanliness will seep it's way into all areas of your life. Your thoughts, your plans, your execution, it will all be clean and surgical, until it's radiating off of you. People will see you and think "that guy's got his shit together". It will raise your self-esteem, and you will rise up another level in all ways.

Make a to-do list of everything that a productive day would be for you. Put the routine stuff that gets put off often at the beginning of your day early. Get up without snooze, sit up, say thank you for getting another day, hop out of bed and smash your to-do list.

Take your vitamins. Sleep 8 hours. Don't eat sugar or drink bullshit. Get your 3-4x a week lifting session in.

Make sure your actions map to your goals in a clear way. Taking care of yourself will give you a clear and happy mind to make this easier.

Your first part of the day will be "paying the toll". Everything has a cost. You have to sacrifice something. That looks like doing the work, doing the exercise, cleaning your environment, etc.

Don't just walk around in your PJ's hoping for genius entrepreneurial inspiration to strike. It won't. You'll become depressed, fat, antisocial, and still broke, sitting on the toilet dreaming about a Lamborghini.

That's what I have to say to the newbies.

lifemaker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 26, 2023
Identify what you would like to accomplish this year that will take lots of work. Make a list.

"Save $20,000"
"Get bench press to 225"
"Go on 20 first dates this year"

Or whatever it is.

Print it out on a poster from canva and hang it up.
Wallpaper on your phone and computer.

Example: Placeholder goals, mine are a bit different and there's a couple more.

View attachment 53359

Then, clean your room, your entire environment. Clean out your phone, your computer files. Clean your dirty sneakers. Clean your life up. Cleanliness will seep it's way into all areas of your life. Your thoughts, your plans, your execution, it will all be clean and surgical, until it's radiating off of you. People will see you and think "that guy's got his shit together". It will raise your self-esteem, and you will rise up another level in all ways.

Make a to-do list of everything that a productive day would be for you. Put the routine stuff that gets put off often at the beginning of your day early. Get up without snooze, sit up, say thank you for getting another day, hop out of bed and smash your to-do list.

Take your vitamins. Sleep 8 hours. Don't eat sugar or drink bullshit. Get your 3-4x a week lifting session in.

Make sure your actions map to your goals in a clear way. Taking care of yourself will give you a clear and happy mind to make this easier.

Your first part of the day will be "paying the toll". Everything has a cost. You have to sacrifice something. That looks like doing the work, doing the exercise, cleaning your environment, etc.

Don't just walk around in your PJ's hoping for genius entrepreneurial inspiration to strike. It won't. You'll become depressed, fat, antisocial, and still broke, sitting on the toilet dreaming about a Lamborghini.

That's what I have to say to the newbies.
thanks, again.
will be combined perfectly with the power of now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.