The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I gather experience in this field?

xhcsurge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 21, 2012
Belgium
Hi all,

The market I am planning to start a business in, is (as none of you probably remember, because I'm not famous here yet) Business Process Management (BPM) or BP Improvement. What I'd be doing, is visit companies, analyse their business, and suggest improvements to make their processes more efficient, or limit the risks that are currently exposed. It's what I'm doing at my current job (partially), and it's what I like to do. However, I feel like the experience I'm currently building, is not coming fast enough. Not all projects at work are on this matter, and I don't want to work there for five more years. My colleagues who have five years of experience are really skilled at BPM, but I want to achieve their level faster.

One way I'm planning to do this, is by reading books (I've ordered three of them on Amazon), and by following a one-week course at work (scheduled within 1 year, I hope).

Unfortunately BPM (process understanding, improvement, risk identification, etc) is a matter that is learned mostly by doing. Now I'm really stuck on how I can gain experience in this complex domain. Some of you will say I should just go out there, quit my job, and dive in; this 'll make me learn in the fastest possible way. That's true, but I think the hardest part in this business would be winning projects. And to win projects I think I'll have to be able to show off with at least 2 years of experience at the Big-4 consulting firm I'm now working at. But I don't want to just sit and wait 'till I'm ready!

So does anyone have an idea? Can I investigate case studies of past projects in BPM? Are those studies available anywhere? Perhaps I should get some expensive certification?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate any answers I get :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
And to win projects I think I'll have to be able to show off with at least 2 years of experience at the Big-4 consulting firm I'm now working at.

You might have answered your own question.... I don't have any experience in this field though.

MissKeda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 17, 2012
Baltimore, MD
That's true, but I think the hardest part in this business would be winning projects. And to win projects I think I'll have to be able to show off with at least 2 years of experience at the Big-4 consulting firm I'm now working at

This may or may not help depending on your situation/industry, but can you do a pro-bono work and use that experience to get you paying projects on the side while you work on building experience with your current employer? See if you can figure a way to have both as opposed to one or the other.

xhcsurge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 21, 2012
Belgium
while you work on building experience with your current employer

That would be awesome indeed. I am however, not allowed to do business on my own in the same domain, while still work there as an employer :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.