The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I change this particular belief?

Anything related to matters of the mind

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
Hello guys,

can someone help me with this particular belief?

My parents, ever since I was little, told me that I need a degree to have a good and "rich life",

I am a dropout dude that, at 21 years old left the Academy of Fine Arts and start work, saving money with the intention to change the city and country.

Fast forward, now I am 25, saved some K's, changed my city and country (16.000km away from my city lol) and currently, I am in Australia, with a well-paid job, they offer me food and shelf too, so basically less responsibility.

I am in the perfect moment of my life, I go 4 times per week to the gym, I eat well, read, learn and try to build a business but this belief comes back every time, more when I focus, like, a little voice in my head that reminds me what my parents (especially my mom) told me every F*cking day: get a degree or you will fail in life.

Now, as stupid as it may sound, because I know that is completely false, I know that people made an empire without even the 3rd grade, I think this belief prevents me to go really all in.

Does someone have to deal with something like that? And if yes, how can you destroy and go through this belief?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Parents generally tell you what they were told, or a modification of it. They might think that they didn't do very well themselves, and that they would have done better if only they'd got a degree, so they drum this into you. Or maybe they did do well for themselves and think that it's just because they had a degree - maybe they got a good job and the company they worked for would only hire graduates. For most people, safe = steady, and a degree might help you get that steady job. And they want you to be safe.

Another way to spur yourself on is to focus on making a successful business so you can prove them wrong. Not necessarily in a confrontational, fall-out-with-your-parents way, but just take it as a challenge. It sounds as if you're doing better than a lot of people, in a decent job with a decent income, even without a degree, and once you're into something like that, you have the weight of experience which can often trump a degree in terms of getting better jobs, if that's what you want.

I didn't go to university - I could have done, but I chose not to for all sorts of reasons, many of them wrong - and I've done reasonably well in a normal career, and the things that held me back were never about not having a degree. Maybe if I hadn't done well, if I'd spent a load of time unemployed, they'd have been telling me I should have gone to uni, I don't know. Degrees are a good way to demonstrate that you can study a subject to a proficient standard, and it saves employers having to assess that for themselves. That's why so many people who have them, have them in subjects that aren't vaguely relevant to their career.

Once you've got a few million in the bank and don't need to work every day, you can always do a degree in your spare time just to please them.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I'm not sure how a fine arts degree would be one of the necessary steps to building an empire. You've clearly made the right choice to drop out.

But as absurd as any belief might be, the best way to invalidate a theory is to prove it wrong experimentally. That's what scientists do.

In other words, don't use your parent's theory as an excuse to moving forward in life. Build the business that you want in spite of not having a degree. This will invalidate the hypothesis.

Just remember that everything seems impossible until it's done.

Jbaughn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 22, 2022
I'm not sure how a fine arts degree would be one of the necessary steps to building an empire. You've clearly made the right choice to drop out.

But as absurd as any belief might be, the best way to invalidate a theory is to prove it wrong experimentally. That's what scientists do.

In other words, don't use your parent's theory as an excuse to moving forward in life. Build the business that you want in spite of not having a degree. This will invalidate the hypothesis.

Yeah, I'm 20 but I haven't been to uni. I am currently worrying about it- I wonder if I should have, but I had no interest in uni. Hell, I certainly didn't have the grades. I fear for my chances at buisness, I really want to succeed with it, but fear I lack knowledge.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Hell, I certainly didn't have the grades.

Well, there's even less point in worrying about it if going to university wasn't an option for you, whatever the reason. I spend too much time being irritated about stuff like this when I should just move on. You can make use of other people's knowledge.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021

Well said! These are some wise words for everyone to read and remember.

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
Yep, I left the fine arts for this reason. I want something different. That was the same year I read TMF .

Thanks for the wise words. I will build it.

That's the only thing I truly want in life, to wake up one morning and know that I have no chains.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello guys,

can someone help me with this particular belief?

My parents, ever since I was little, told me that I need a degree to have a good and "rich life",

I am a dropout dude that, at 21 years old left the Academy of Fine Arts and start work, saving money with the intention to change the city and country.

Fast forward, now I am 25, saved some K's, changed my city and country (16.000km away from my city lol) and currently, I am in Australia, with a well-paid job, they offer me food and shelf too, so basically less responsibility.

I am in the perfect moment of my life, I go 4 times per week to the gym, I eat well, read, learn and try to build a business but this belief comes back every time, more when I focus, like, a little voice in my head that reminds me what my parents (especially my mom) told me every F*cking day: get a degree or you will fail in life.

Now, as stupid as it may sound, because I know that is completely false, I know that people made an empire without even the 3rd grade, I think this belief prevents me to go really all in.

Does someone have to deal with something like that? And if yes, how can you destroy and go through this belief?
Develop independent thinking and overcome it slowly.

Don’t believe something just because some people said so, even if they are your parents.

There are people with degree living a good life. There are people with degree living a terrible life. Most of time it never mattered as much as they have assumed.

There is no such thing as “without this you will fail” in life, generally.

If you look like high net worth individuals 95 percent or more are business owners. You can find such evidence in surveys or anecdotally if you have friends working in private banking.

It is more like if you are not a business owner it is hard to become really wealthy.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
That's the only thing I truly want in life, to wake up one morning and know that I have no chains.
I don't want to be overly dramatic, but I believe that's the moment when your life actually starts.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Why are you asking strangers how to convince yourself of something you already know to be true?

Pinnacle of asking for useless permission.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada

To go all in on what?

I call shit on this. You know that what they say is false, that's enough to prove the belief wrong.

You are not going all in because of what your parents said. You are either afraid of uncertainty, of commitment or you don't believe in yourself.

The way out? Take whatever action you can and go after a win. Then go after the next.

I didnt believe I could make money online. I made a profile and got my first project. I think it was $25. Thats all I needed to shatter the belief.

I didn't think I could sell something online. I went on Etsy and had multiple sales. Store didn't go where I wanted, but it showed me I could sell. That's all I needed to know I can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.