The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hotel/Real estate investing - with no capital, is it possible?

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
I have had some experience in working in the hotel industry, and was planning on using this to my advantage in investing in the real estate market. The general advise I usually receive from experienced real estate investors is to identify a lucrative property at a good price, get financing and ensure the monthly cashflow from renting the property (Whether residential or commercial) can satisfy the monthly loan obligation. Basically have other people buy the property for you.

However, what I am currently working on is acquiring a building suitable for a hotel , and instead of renting it out for business like many owners do in Dubai, I hope to operate the hotel myself and thus multiply my income; because I will be paying the rent to myself and keeping the rest of the profit as well. Assuming it all works out of course, which is never a guarantee in business.

The thing is, commercial buildings that can operate as a hotel in Dubai dont come cheap, a simple 1 star hotel with 48 rooms and a restaurant can reach up to 4 to 5 million dollars to purchase; however when operating profitably, it can pull in around $800k to $1 million annually in income (40% of the income usually goes to just rent, so if the building is yours you get to keep that, which is pretty sweet).

Furthermore, the financial crises hit this place pretty hard and we are still economically recovering. The hotel and tourism industry is also very competitive in nature. However, there is still plenty of demand in the market if you can tap into what the customers are looking for (which is another topic for later). Below is my financing plan in brief, I can expand if needed.

----------------

1. What I intend to do is get hold of some real estate investors, who can put up some hard money, 50% of the price of the building.

2. Negotiate with the current building owner to enter into a 50/50 partnership with us, where he sells 50% equity of his building at a significant discount. If the building is $5,000,000, I would need to purchase 50% ownership for $2,000,000.

Why would he do such a thing?

a. If the property owner only planned to rent the building, his cash flow would have been rent. However as a partner with us, he can still receive around the same amount of annual cash flow but instead from the hotel profit.

b. Cash is still king: he will be receiving $2,000,000 hard cash today, for the purchase.

c. Owner still has remaining equity in the commercial property. This is important because some people don’t ever want to let go of their property.

Now going back to the investors who put up the money, their incentives would be

a. estimated 12 % percent annual profit from hotel cash flow

b. around 7 % annual property appreciation

c. and the big incentive of having a 20% discount on property (only on purchase-1st year).

----------------
To wrap it all up

If you are wondering where I profit from all this, it is by acquiring a 12 percent stake in the property and business, without putting up any capital.

From the 50% capital raised by investors, 38% goes to the investor and 12% to me.

It would be transparent, the investor would know of course.

Since I negotiated the deal, found the property, convinced the buyer and would later manage and operate the business, my cut would be 12%.

---------

This is the financing deal I put together. I understand it is quite confusing, and perhaps unrealistic to some. But would love to hear honest and helpful feedback.

And thank you for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Would you also draw a salary for being the General Manager?

It is possible if you found the buyer and seller, but they might decide to cut you out of the deal?

Get the investor first and make sure they are solid and wont be tempted to cut you out, then get the property. Convince them that your the man that has to run the hotel and that by having skin in the game you will work your a$$ off to make sure its the most profitable hotel in the whole place!

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
That is a good question

Whether I draw a salary or not would most likely depend upon how much equity I get out of the deal, for example if its anywhere between 15 to 20 percent, then I will most likely not get a salary because recieving 15 to 20 percent of the profit (without putting up any capital) and then further receiving a salary will be too much to ask (atleast in my opinion...I could be wrong).

My family are in the hotel business (1 tp 2 stars) and What I learned from experiance was that you could enter this market with very little capital of your own. For example, you would find a suitable location for the hotel, then just raise the capital required to start the hotel operations (lisense fee, furniture, staff) and ONLY RENT the place. The start up capital would be quite small and the investors were always willing to give you 20 to 30 percent equity to run the place profitablly.

However, after doing this for like a decade, in the end I felt like I made no real achievements because, at the end of the day...the building does not belong to me, and I was working my a$$ off to make the landlord rich (by paying high rent), the investors and the goverment (tax).

I want to do the same thing now, but with having ownership of the actual property. So now if I get 12% of a $5 million dollar property with no capital, plus continous cashflow from the business operations, after 5 or 10 years or so from now I will have a lot more to show for my hard work.

I found hotels to be quite easily manageable, and if properly set up can operate on its own without needing you to be there 24 hours to run things. So if I can add 1 hotel every 18 months to my portfolio, I will be very happy.

------

As for if it is possible the buyer and the sell can cut me out, yes I think it might be.....but not so easy because I will be the one running and managing the hotel and they probably might not have the experiance or confidence to do it themselves. But on the safe side, I will make sure I have the investor money secured before approaching property owner.

Thank you for the feedback!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Can you raise any money from your family?

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
I could raise capital from my own family and friends but then I would view their capital as if it were my very own.

Meaning, I would no longer have the view "I have purchased 12% percent ownership for free "

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Meaning, I would no longer have the view "I have purchased 12% percent ownership for free "

Aww man cmon! Your brought up with business and entrepreneurs right? I cant believe you said that, wtf does free have anything to do with anything?

Nothing is free, maybe you should just be a real estate broker if you just want a commission...

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
One strategy that works well in this situation is a lease option.

Basically you get a master lease on the building at some rate along with an option to purchase the property at some point in the future at an agreed upon price.

You start operating the hotel and make the operations very successful. At this point, the property and business are generating some good cash which means it has appreciated significantly. Finding investors will be a lot easier then. If you can't find an investor, you could always sell the option.

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
Aww man cmon! Your brought up with business and entrepreneurs right? I cant believe you said that, wtf does free have anything to do with anything?

Nothing is free, maybe you should just be a real estate broker if you just want a commission...

hmm, perhaps I used the wrong word.

You are right, nothing is free.

But I assure you I am looking for more then just a commission, but without any of my own capital it is not easy and the whole purpose of my thread is to find a way to allow me to own equity (worth millions) in commercial properties without capital and with limited risk.

thanks for the feedback though, I really appreciate it :)

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
Yes, thats a good point RealOG.

It would be a lot easier to find investors when you have an already established hotel operating profitably. So it does solve that issue. However, I am not too concerned with the profitability factor of the hotel. And let me tell you why.

The biggest cost factor that we usually face in the hotel business (atleast in this country), is the damn rent. It is as high as 50% of total expense and sometimes higher.

Once the property is bought though and rent is no longer a factor.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Investors put in 5 million to buy hotel
their share goes down 500k to 4.5m for your 10%
They will want atleast 8% roi, which is 360k a year (rent)
You make 40k + Salary

Then whatever profit is made they want 90% of that too, or its left in the business.

Thats your plan?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I could raise capital from my own family and friends but then I would view their capital as if it were my very own.

So if it's money from people you don't know, you are more careless with it? Good luck getting investors.

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
Investors put in 5 million to buy hotel
their share goes down 500k to 4.5m for your 10%
They will want atleast 8% roi, which is 360k a year (rent)
You make 40k + Salary

Then whatever profit is made they want 90% of that too, or its left in the business.

Thats your plan?

Alrights, lets make it simple,

ownership

Investors + current owner = 4.4 mill

600k = me (12%)

profit (hotel earnings)

Total profit = 650k annually

Investor + owner = 572k

Me = 78k

Then you have building appreciation

Since Investors purchased at 20% discount in first year, and we add 7% appreciation each year. We have 48% increase in property price in 5 years.

----

Basically, Investors can benefit from both hotel earnings and real estate appreciation.

I hope that explains it, if I missed anything out, please let me know! thanks :)

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
"So if it's money from people you don't know, you are more careless with it? Good luck getting investors."

Biophase, Although the way I phrased it might give that impression, that is not what I meant.

Lets say you are a property flipper and you purchased a property at a reasonable price, made some improvements and then turned around and sold it your own parents at 20% profit.

There is nothing wrong with that, its legal and probably at a fair price. I just would prefer not to do so.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You must be careful as property investors arent silly enough to depend on appreciation. here in the uk we have commercial property prices 40%+ lower than 2007. Japan its lower than 20 years ago. Investors are looking for a good yield every year of like 8% and any appreciation is a bonus.

What if the hotel is losing money? Your investors will have to put more money in...

BlueStar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 18, 2013
You must be careful as property investors arent silly enough to depend on appreciation. here in the uk we have commercial property prices 40%+ lower than 2007. Japan its lower than 20 years ago. Investors are looking for a good yield every year of like 8% and any appreciation is a bonus.

What if the hotel is losing money? Your investors will have to put more money in...

Very true, the same thing can be said with property prices over here, but they seemed to have found their bottom and are slowly appreciating back again, at a more reasonable rate that is.

Which is why I must have a margin of safety, by purchasing the property at below market price. That way investors will feel they have already secured a profit at the very start (thats if property prices dont fall again of course).

As for the hotel losing money it is definitely a possibility. Especially if you have a consistent large vacancy rate for your rooms.

However, to minimize your risk/loss, what you do is rent out a certain amount of rooms (say 30%)that you believe will be vacant to travel and tourism companies at a very low price, they guarantee these rooms will be occupied.

If your room rate is 250, you rent to these companies at 130 and this covers your costs. It ensures that you atleast break even..........the rest of the rooms are operating at a profit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.