The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

OFF-TOPIC hobby turning into a business

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

StellaArt

New Contributor
Nov 7, 2019
I've been sewing since childhood. It's my biggest and the only hobby. A few weeks ago my friend asked me why haven't I started taking orders and sew for people, because I'm really good at it. And I started thinking about it. Soon I plan to buy a new, better sewing machine and I hope, that it'll be profitable.
Have you ever faced a similar situation?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

dawp

Contributor
Oct 23, 2017
Doing sth because you like it is awesome
But it sucks if you need to do this to pay your bills.
Doing your hobby on someone elses terms is just another type of slavery.

You like weightliftng? Cool! Build a pyramid for me. There is a lot of weights and lifting invloved.

As long as you are not doing your hobby on your terms - its slavery

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
I've been sewing since childhood. It's my biggest and the only hobby. A few weeks ago my friend asked me why haven't I started taking orders and sew for people, because I'm really good at it. And I started thinking about it. Soon I plan to buy a new, better sewing machine and I hope, that it'll be profitable.
This isn't going to work out well unless you consider how you'll turn this into a business. Hoping you'll be profitable is a good way to never see a dime. If you're going to buy a better sewing machine, make sure you'll be happy with it even if you don't make money because you'll be on the hook for it whether your products sell or not.

Yes, I've been in similar situations. I've fooled myself into believing certain purchases would open the doorway to profits and got bitch slapped by reality when it didn't work that way. Other times I bought stuff and made money almost immediately. But I didn't hope for profits in any of those situations. Always had a game plan even when it wasn't a good one.

You can test this idea without spending money. You probably should.

Doing sth because you like it is awesome
But it sucks if you need to do this to pay your bills.
Doing your hobby on someone elses terms is just another type of slavery.

You like weightliftng? Cool! Build a pyramid for me. There is a lot of weights and lifting invloved.

As long as you are not doing your hobby on your terms - its slavery
OP didn't mention anything about paying bills and anything you do to be profitable involves someone else's terms. OP is talking about starting a business, which means she would be doing her hobby on her own terms..so what point are you trying to make?

GerryFolt

New Contributor
Sep 11, 2019
There are a lot of quality sewing machines for beginners, everything depends on a person's preferences and budget. The best idea is to go to a shop and ask for professional help, or to look for the info on the internet. There are many exciting sewing blogs, where you can find heavy duty sewing machine review, read a detailed description of each machine, compare prices, and make the best decision. When I wanted to buy my first one, I spent a lot of time searching for the info, but I managed to find the one which works the best for me.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I see a big oportunity out of your hobby : you know, how to make clothes. So you can make clothe samples and tell others to produce them without scamming you.
Keywords factory, China, import....

I would NOT turn making clothes for someone else into a time for money job!

you read "unscripted"?!

MoreValue

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 9, 2018
My business I do sewing. I enjoy it and it make money. But keep in mind that I would be happy even if I didn’t make money. Investment and learning was heavy before I even made a dime. I make the products for myself and I never really cared if others liked it or wanted it. I just wanted to build the best product in my vision. Turns out...others ended up liking it as well. I built it because I couldn’t find anywhere that produced the designs and functions I liked.

if you do go deep, I’m sure you already know. Costs add up quick. You won’t see a return in a while (the dip they call it). If someone went into this profit minded, they wouldn’t be able to handle“the dip” the hours and hours of sinking every paycheck I had to fund this and trial and error to make the product of my dreams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock