The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hiring 1099 Independent Contractors?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Does anyone have experience hiring 1099's outside of landscaping, construction, roofing, and other labor positions (preferably sales/telemarketing)?

If so, where did you get the best results from, a website, a college, etc?

I have been using CL which is just the wrong demographic of people, lazy, mediocre individuals who don't really want to work but rather show up to a cubicle and gossip. I just put in an add to monster.com which is expensive AF and have got just 3 very mediocre applications in the past day and a half, it's still on the site for 2 more weeks but not looking good out of the gates.

I can sell myself but I just need a couple hard working individuals to really scale up this fvcking business, the hiring process is beginning to drive me absolutely insane.

(Speed+ to anyone who's response helps out)

:greenchainsaw:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Change the title of this post to exactly what you're looking for...
Example...

Hiring 1099 sales independent contractors

Post the job description. Key word load this thread :)

Why? Google...
Just Stolen - Please Critique My Sales Page

Guess what is the first result?

Let the searchers find you.

jon

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
It's a clever thought but there is not a lot of search traffic for anything along those lines, people generally go to job sites, newspapers, CL, etc.

The reason that "Hiring 1099 Independent Contractors" is ranking so well is because than keyword is very specific and has virtually no searches. As well, "Just Stolen - Please Critique My Sales Page" ranks so well because there are probably very few if any other threads, websites, artciles, etc that are titled that, even if that thread had been posted on a very small forum and never on TFF, it probably would have still ranked #1

Good thoughts though, appreciate it!

It would seem that very few fastlaners have experience with staff and the ones who do have their traps shut about it. :bgh:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I don't want to hire fastlaners or entrepreneurs and would prefer workers to not know my situation in much detail

wadza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 8, 2011
I use contractors for sales all the time... Honestly there is no specific method to only attracting quality applicants. The best way to go is cast your net far and wide, advertise on as many sites as you can and hire as many people as you can. What will happen is most will be rubbish and not work out, they normally quit or get fired, since I guess youre paying just commission they only get paid for what they sell anyway...

You will have a small number of sales reps that will perform and do well, you keep those ones... Then you repeat the process, after you do this a few times you will have a solid team of sales contractors.

Remember to always keep recruiting and bringing new blood in to stop the team from going stale...

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I use contractors for sales all the time... Honestly there is no specific method to only attracting quality applicants. The best way to go is cast your net far and wide, advertise on as many sites as you can and hire as many people as you can. What will happen is most will be rubbish and not work out, they normally quit or get fired, since I guess youre paying just commission they only get paid for what they sell anyway...

You will have a small number of sales reps that will perform and do well, you keep those ones... Then you repeat the process, after you do this a few times you will have a solid team of sales contractors.

Remember to always keep recruiting and bringing new blood in to stop the team from going stale...

Wow I am glad someone came out of the woodwork :notworthy:

That is definitely some good advice, maybe instead of the small and targeted crowd I should try and bring on a larger flow of applicants and let the system filter out the good from bad. Will be more expensive upfront but that is where I was/am leaning towards.

What do you usually spend on recruitment monthly?

wadza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 8, 2011
What do you usually spend on recruitment monthly?

I'm in Australia but I'm sure it's the same in US... I use gumtree (kinda like craigslist but more popular in oz).. where you can advertise for free or very cheap. just gotta keep bumping your ads to keep the applicants coming through..

Other specific job sites are more expensive but IMO can be a waste of time/money. You normally pay to have an ad up for a month, but after a week or 2 your ad is so far down the list you have to pay to bump it again. Essentially you get the same kind of applicants from a CL type ad.. So to answer your question... not much. Less than a couple hundred dollars per month.

key point to remember: keep job ads pretty generic. don't go too much into what kind of attributes, experience, requirements, etc, etc you'll actually get less responses than an ad that just says something like:

'Call center staff required, duties include: telesales, appointment setting, whatever else. great flexible conditions, make big $$$. email application and we'll call you asap!'

The simper it is, the more likely someone is to apply.

hope this helps you!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'm in Australia but I'm sure it's the same in US... I use gumtree (kinda like craigslist but more popular in oz).. where you can advertise for free or very cheap. just gotta keep bumping your ads to keep the applicants coming through..

Other specific job sites are more expensive but IMO can be a waste of time/money. You normally pay to have an ad up for a month, but after a week or 2 your ad is so far down the list you have to pay to bump it again. Essentially you get the same kind of applicants from a CL type ad.. So to answer your question... not much. Less than a couple hundred dollars per month.

key point to remember: keep job ads pretty generic. don't go too much into what kind of attributes, experience, requirements, etc, etc you'll actually get less responses than an ad that just says something like:

'Call center staff required, duties include: telesales, appointment setting, whatever else. great flexible conditions, make big $$$. email application and we'll call you asap!'

The simper it is, the more likely someone is to apply.

hope this helps you!

Definitely helps! You are lucky, CL postings here are $25 in my city. I have been working on ways to get posts throughout the US and a lot of other cities are free but it is taking a bit longer than I like, should be able to blast a good # of ad's once it's done.

Thanks for the insight

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.