• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

EXECUTION Here I Go - Starting a Design Blog

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by NLRDesign, May 6, 2018.

1. NLRDesign

NLRDesign New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $167
    I've put this off long enough. I am going to start recording my progress here every Sunday to keep myself accountable and I welcome any input along the way. Since I joined this Forum in March, I've been trying to absorb everything I could and find the right path to start my journey.

The past month I decided to put all my energy into starting a blog, with the goal being to monetize with affiliate programs and digital products and eventually evolve it into a full business with my own products. It has been easy to put all my spare energy into this, so think it is the right path for me. I've been listening to Nick Loper on the Side Hustle Nation Podcast (which I found on one of the threads here in the Forum) and have learned a lot from his guest bloggers and have been using Elite Blog Academy's intro workbook to get started. My biggest challenge the past couple of weeks has been narrowing down/differentiating my focus. They are all design related (my day job is in themed entertainment/experience design), but go in a few different sub-directions, for lack of a better term. I believe each area already has a wide audience and could be monetized and grow. Being the heavy researcher I am, I have talked myself in and out of each of them multiple times. I need to revisit the "Five Commandments," but am also I'm planning on reading Pat Flynn's Will It Fly over the next week and see if that helps me anymore. That being said, on the side my husband and I are working together on some T-shirt designs to sell with Merch by Amazon for some extra cash.

Being a mom and working full time while starting this is a challenge, but definitely doable. I haven't been this excited to come home and work on something in a long time. I am pretty confident I am going to make some pretty big ripples in my little pond over the next few months. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Argue likes this.
  2. Mile

Mile Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $217
    Looking forward to your future posts. Like Josh Billings once said : "Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there."

NLRDesign likes this.
  3. Kid

Kid Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $584
    Good luck on your journey!

NLRDesign likes this.
  4. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,266
    Watching. I love design. I’m obsessed with it.

NLRDesign likes this.
  5. NLRDesign

NLRDesign New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $167
    Ok, week 2 of my recorded progress. As of my last post I was exploring three different niche areas and planned on Pat Flynn's Will It Fly. I did read the book and it helped quite a bit with working through my different ideas. I have narrowed it down to one area and am currently researching similar blogs, working on the blog structure, and exploring types of content. I am taking a couple more days to figure out how to really package it and choose the right domain name. By next week's post I plan on having my blog up and running with my first post.

A few side notes: I found out a woman I went to high school with is running a six figure blog - TheSoccerMomBlog.com. I guess knowing someone that has done it added a little more motivation/challenge to my efforts. If she can do it, I can do it right...

I also realized I know quite a few people, mostly women, that have started their own businesses or interest groups. I think I knew, but it never registered because it never mattered this much before. Also, as I am learning how to monetize my blog, it has really ignited a growing interest in digital marketing. I'm hoping perhaps I could grow that skill set on the side by offering to help some of my friends grow their online presence - we shall see.

I meant to mention this last week, but my husband is taking an online Certification course in digital marketing through Full Sail University. It's a new four part course, so he was offered it for free to test it. He is on the second part/course and I am basically taking it along with him. Helping him, is of course helping me. The timing is pretty interesting too. Everything seems to be lining up....

.....including FinCon 2018. It is coming to Orlando (right near home) in September, but the price is pretty steep, so I haven't decided to buy a ticket just yet.

So that's my update....next week I hope to be able to share more specifics about my actual blog setup. Thanks for reading.

Kid and Argue like this.