The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help needed regarding future career decision

toselek

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 14, 2024
Hello fastlaners
I am 18 about to be 19 and am currently in search of a career to spend my whole energy into, thus I am stuck between 3 options.
1. Pioneering in the application of physics into a new age of engineering in order to manipulate time with the purpose of receiving better data from stellar objects and perhaps even breaking the barrier between men and time. This has always been my childhood dream , but it requires a lot of time and passion , which may distract me from my entrepreneural aims. For this I will also require many years of university which is thankfully affordable here in Germany.
2. Focusing on my entrepreneural passion of filling the gaps regarding psychological, economical and social needs of the masses in order to profit by spending my whole energy on building connections and expanding my knowledge of these fields. This might include getting into programming in order to develop security softwares that pretty much all businesses need or counselling services etc.
3. Somehow becoming a combat medic. I had always interest in helping people medically and with this career I could also make use of my athleticism as well, but it would also require a lot of energy and passion and will probably require A LOT OF time in college.

I wish to see your thoughts on this matter , if you have any alternatives or suggestions would love to hear it !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MichaelKove

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Feb 19, 2019
Szczecin, PL
This has always been my childhood dream , but it requires a lot of time and passion , which may distract me from my entrepreneural aims. For this I will also require many years of university which is thankfully affordable here in Germany.
You can achieve your dream through entrepreneurial pursuit. As a funded startup.

You might need to do some slowlane work to gain experience, but mostly networking to eventually found your own physics R&D company.

Given your ambitions you'll need investors, which I believe is going to be hard to get Germany (or in Europe) for that matter.

You might have to turn to US or Asia for that. But things might change dramatically in few years.

tl;dr; combine 1 & 2.

Not sure about #3 as you might be dissapointed on what you WANT to do there vs what you'll HAVE to do there.

I can't speak on that, I don't have military experience.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello fastlaners
I am 18 about to be 19 and am currently in search of a career to spend my whole energy into, thus I am stuck between 3 options.
1. Pioneering in the application of physics into a new age of engineering in order to manipulate time with the purpose of receiving better data from stellar objects and perhaps even breaking the barrier between men and time. This has always been my childhood dream , but it requires a lot of time and passion , which may distract me from my entrepreneural aims. For this I will also require many years of university which is thankfully affordable here in Germany.
2. Focusing on my entrepreneural passion of filling the gaps regarding psychological, economical and social needs of the masses in order to profit by spending my whole energy on building connections and expanding my knowledge of these fields. This might include getting into programming in order to develop security softwares that pretty much all businesses need or counselling services etc.
3. Somehow becoming a combat medic. I had always interest in helping people medically and with this career I could also make use of my athleticism as well, but it would also require a lot of energy and passion and will probably require A LOT OF time in college.

I wish to see your thoughts on this matter , if you have any alternatives or suggestions would love to hear it !
If I were to go back to when I was 19 year's old, I would pursue #2:

I remember back in high school during my computer classes, I'd sit the back and browse websites like Neobux or Cashcrate to earn money online. I was even into Affiliate marketing. Made my first commission from markethealth.com marketing hemorrhoids pills on a website ranking in Google SEO. Or creating Google AdSense websites around the keywords "White Toddler Strollers". I would choose that door.

I am now 30. I've been in IT for 10 year's.

Truth be told though related to your post.

We as strangers who don't know each other, cannot really tell you what is the right track or decision for you to make. That is up to you to make. You decide what's best for you and your life. If you're here because of the books or interested in Entrepreneurship door #2 has my vote.

Good luck and God Bless.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello fastlaners

Anything but 3 imo.

Being a soldier in Europe has real risk now.

Military experience is wonderful if not having to go to war.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Aug 9, 2019
I would do 3,1,2 in that order.

I started in the military (combat & demolition diver among other things), went on to study medicine and am now an entrepreneur on my way to fastlane.

People who have not been in the military drasticly underestimate how much it translate into business, studies or anything else in life from what it teaches you, which is hard work, and "get shit done mentality".
You are 18-19.You have alot of time on you hands. Military will let you play around and have fun for a while.

If I was to do everything again, I would not change a bit. Only that would spend a few years less in the military. 2, max 3 years is the sweetspot. Enough to get you tough and you get to learn and do shit, but not so long you waste years or become it messes with you mentaly. Just try to get into the toughest branch you can and the rest will sort itself out.

Uni is a fantastic foundation. If you dont have a business and is just passing time. Better be it that you learn something than just do nothing.

toselek

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 14, 2024
You can achieve your dream through entrepreneurial pursuit. As a funded startup.

You might need to do some slowlane work to gain experience, but mostly networking to eventually found your own physics R&D company.

Given your ambitions you'll need investors, which I believe is going to be hard to get Germany (or in Europe) for that matter.

You might have to turn to US or Asia for that. But things might change dramatically in few years.

tl;dr; combine 1 & 2.

Not sure about #3 as you might be dissapointed on what you WANT to do there vs what you'll HAVE to do there.

I can't speak on that, I don't have military experience

tl;dr; combine 1 & 2.

I can't speak on that, I don't have military experience.
Thanks for your insight man , moving away from Germany after taking advantage of free education here is also my aim. I see all these Americans on social media complaining about USA and it's policies, economical problems , American dream being dead etc. , and furthermore my friends from USA also say we have it so good in Europe thanks to our free health care , clean streets , social reforms and etc. , yet I am also pretty certain that USA is a lot more risky and offers far more opportunities than Europe , so I am pretty hesitant about giving Uncle Sam a visit but let's see .

toselek

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 14, 2024
I would do 3,1,2 in that order.

I started in the military (combat & demolition diver among other things), went on to study medicine and am now an entrepreneur on my way to fastlane.

People who have not been in the military drasticly underestimate how much it translate into business, studies or anything else in life from what it teaches you, which is hard work, and "get shit done mentality".
You are 18-19.You have alot of time on you hands. Military will let you play around and have fun for a while.

If I was to do everything again, I would not change a bit. Only that would spend a few years less in the military. 2, max 3 years is the sweetspot. Enough to get you tough and you get to learn and do shit, but not so long you waste years or become it messes with you mentaly. Just try to get into the toughest branch you can and the rest will sort itself out.

Uni is a fantastic foundation. If you dont have a business and is just passing time. Better be it that you learn something than just do nothing
Here in Germany it is hard to cancel your reservation in the army after 6 months of pre-trial period , but I will research deeper into this , thanks dude !
Anything but 3 imo.

Being a soldier in Europe has real risk now.

Military experience is wonderful if not having to go to war.
If it goes that far than all the other options above will automatically have no more meaning unfortunately, but let's see what will happen

Last edited:

toselek

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 14, 2024
If I were to go back to when I was 19 year's old, I would pursue #2:

I remember back in high school during my computer classes, I'd sit the back and browse websites like Neobux or Cashcrate to earn money online. I was even into Affiliate marketing. Made my first commission from markethealth.com marketing hemorrhoids pills on a website ranking in Google SEO. Or creating Google AdSense websites around the keywords "White Toddler Strollers". I would choose that door.

I am now 30. I've been in IT for 10 year's.

Truth be told though related to your post.

We as strangers who don't know each other, cannot really tell you what is the right track or decision for you to make. That is up to you to make. You decide what's best for you and your life. If you're here because of the books or interested in Entrepreneurship door #2 has my vote.

Good luck and God Bless.
Thanks for you great feedback dude !
Since you have that much experience, do you think there is an inflation of IT - Personnel because 80% of the people that I know that study at university are studying in fields related to IT and it really worries me that soon the demand will be less than the need.
And also about AI , would you say that it could revolutionise the sector or is it really just one other useless hype ?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
There's nothing wrong with not being an entrepreneur. If you genuinely have a dream to do something, do it. My dream was to play professional sports and I did it. I don't regret it. I would have regretted not doing it. You're only 18. Put entrepreneurship in your back pocket, or use in the field you've dreamt about.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Since you have that much experience, do you think there is an inflation of IT - Personnel because 80% of the people that I know that study at university are studying in fields related to IT and it really worries me that soon the demand will be less than the need.
And also about AI , would you say that it could revolutionise the sector or is it really just one other useless hype ?
I am no expert and I cannot predict the market. Tech Layoffs are still on the rise and multiple factors are at play:

1. The introduction of AI, could cut jobs.
2. Companies laying off individuals to increase Stock Price for shareholders and investors.
3. Companies caring about profitability versus caring the employees/customers. If you hear complaints about customers leaving or having a bad service. This is a bad sign. Or management not hearing the employees feedback.
4. The high interest hikes from the FED. If Technicial Debt was borrowed, it will come time to pay back what is owed.
5. The tech market saw an economic boost when C0VlD-19 struck the US, that it couldn't handle this much and is now trying to stabilize.

Over the past 6+ months, I have been forever grateful to be employed still within this field. I have seen professionals who have 15+ years that took them 7+ months just to get a job. Jobs are plentiful I believe. But people starting out I believe will have a hard time getting their foot in the door and to get started. It's still possible, not entirely saying it's not. Of course Technology is apart of STEM.

I've seen a huge implosion and interest in AI. If anything I would recommend newcomers to study that field. I use to think that it was a trend. AI isn't a trend, the tech is here to stay.

I think it will be awhile before Tech experiences a huge growth like it did the last few years.

I have 9 years under my belt going from FTE to contracts was a huge blow to my ego. My layoff gave me a wake up call. Put in a bad spot last year.

My goal is to permanently leave soon. It will be hard because of the how many years I've invested. It's called the Sunken Cost Fallacy. I will be sad, but I'm ready for a change. I've also haven't felt valued in awhile for most positions that I was especially. Especially the one I just left.

On the brightside I have skills the marketplace still values so all is not lost. I'm just ready to move on to greener pastures and to mend my past choices.

Hope this helps. This is my POV, and just know I'm no expert or have the correct answers. All you can do is wait and see how the market reacts in the near future.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Records or surveys suggested that only 724 jobs in IT were created in 2023 versus the 300,000+ layoffs. However, this data isn't as accurate. You Still have to account for the professionals still employed in major technology hubs.

Media has played a big role and creating a story and making the layoffs a huge deal. You also have to be cautious of the media and what they say.

You can still see 2,000 to 3,000 jobs plus in each major tech hub city per day.

Dallas-Fort Worth
Seattle
Atlanta
San Francisco
Austin
Houston
New York City

Starting will be a grind, the opportunity is still there with the right skills, the right experience, and knowing how to effectively communicate to people.

Eventually you will come to an Income cap in your career. Mine is at $80,000 no higher if your focus is either on wage or salary.

That equates to about $35 to $37 an hour max.

The acquisition and practice of my skills to get me here to 9 years. You could go down this route or take another approach and invest it into building a Fastlane Business. The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I think Cybersecurity is one to be mindful of in terms of the amount of jobs available versus the supply of professionals. There was only 353 in DFW alone.

I think content course creates for organizations such as Offensive Security or EC-Council are cash cows in a way. They are very expensive, but will these certifications actually get a Pentest job? Probably not I've tried in the past and they are hard to get into. Not many. Plenty of jobs on the blue side.

But also start a Cybersecurity company is another thing though, so again depends on your view point Robert Herjavc runs a Cybersecurity which to me was interesting.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Hello fastlaners

If you get into anything tech related, stick to AI or Cybersecurity. In my personal/professional opinion, I wouldn't bother "learning to code" at this point, unless you have a specific SAAS in mind, and you can't afford to hire devs. Otherwise, by the time you're a semi-competent developer, AI will be decent enough to do most of the tasks you'd be doing as a "junior"/"entry-level dev," etc. That said, ultimately, no one can tell you what to do. We don't know you, your situation, your life, your finances, etc. Furthermore, you're asking for career advice on a forum committed to the exact opposite life path.
I've seen a huge implosion and interest in AI. If anything I would recommend newcomers to study that field. I use to think that it was a trend. AI isn't a trend, the tech is here to stay.
I'm curious to know what you do in tech. For someone that says they've been in tech for 10 years, I find your responses to be more than strange.

At no point in time was AI ever a "trend." Machine learning, AI, etc. have always existed and have always been relevant in some capacity. We simply didn't have the hardware to use it to the extent we use it now. The "interest" has always been there, and the "huge implosion" you're referencing really began after the hardware finally caught up, though again, even prior to that the AI communities were massive, and AI was doing some extremely fascinating stuff.

Cheers.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Interest or implosion, what I meant by this is with the articles I read on Tech Crunch or reviewing research companies such as EY all indicate that VCs are pouring money into developing AI further. It's all over the news media. This is what I meant by Implosion or interest. Just seeing where IT is going. A contracted company that I'm at had a Town hall about GenAI and using their own products and hand coding.

As for my response of AI being a "Trend" I was wrong. I'm sure it has been around for years, just hasn't become mainstream up until OpenAIs introduction to Chatgpt in November of 2022.

My 10 years of experience can be found on my LinkedIn profile. You could say I was a Jack of all trades, master of none. I didn't specialize in any area except Cybersecurity.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
If you get into anything tech related, stick to AI or Cybersecurity. In my personal/professional opinion, I wouldn't bother "learning to code" at this point, unless you have a specific SAAS in mind, and you can't afford to hire devs. Otherwise, by the time you're a semi-competent developer, AI will be decent enough to do most of the tasks you'd be doing as a "junior"/"entry-level dev," etc. That said, ultimately, no one can tell you what to do. We don't know you, your situation, your life, your finances, etc. Furthermore, you're asking for career advice on a forum committed to the exact opposite life path.

I'm curious to know what you do in tech. For someone that says they've been in tech for 10 years, I find your responses to be more than strange.

At no point in time was AI ever a "trend." Machine learning, AI, etc. have always existed and have always been relevant in some capacity. We simply didn't have the hardware to use it to the extent we use it now. The "interest" has always been there, and the "huge implosion" you're referencing really began after the hardware finally caught up, though again, even prior to that the AI communities were massive, and AI was doing some extremely fascinating stuff.

Cheers.
I'd say also. Don't be afraid to venture off into eCommerce for physical products that could be sold in stores. There's huge potential in eCommerce. Go to ValleyBiggs.com you will see it has potential for exits. SAAS isn't the only business model their is to create a business.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I'd say also. Don't be afraid to venture off into eCommerce for physical products that could be sold in stores. There's huge potential in eCommerce. Go to ValleyBiggs.com you will see it has potential for exits. SAAS isn't the only business model their is to create a business.
So you dodged my question and responded as if I'm the OP. I can't tell if you're a bot, or if you lack reading comprehension. Thanks, man, I didn't know there was more to do in tech than SAAS.
Software development is still huge and salaries could range in the $150k+
Yup. You sure are correct. My lead dev is over that. That's cool and all, except now be real: how long do you think it'd take OP to get to that type of salary starting from nothing, and then expect that same job to be open when they do get there? Lol. Good luck with that.

When the tech industry says, "we don't have enough developers! Waaahh!" They aren't talking about bootcamp graduates with 6 months of "experience." Those people are a 0.05$/100. They're talking about the people that can rebuild Google/Amazon/Facebook/etc. by themselves.

Anyway, I can see this conversation is ultimately pointless, so... Good luck with everything in life!

Cheers.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
"So you dodged my question and responded as if I'm the OP. I can't tell if you're a bot, or if you lack reading comprehension. Thanks, man, I didn't know there was more to do in tech than SAAS."

This response was for OP. And for how long it will take OP to get there. I don't know. I'm not telling him how to run his life. We all here on the forum cannot make decisions for another person. We can only help guide them and give them advice based on our experiences.

I told you, that you can look up my LinkedIn Profile. Right now I'm on a contract for 1 year.

I was trying to help OP is all. Thanks I appreciate it. I think I'll be okay. I'm not going to argue or cause some sort of fight. I know I can't please everybody. I'm only trying to help is all. Good luck to you to.

Again I don't know everything.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I think Cybersecurity is one to be mindful of in terms of the amount of jobs available versus the supply of professionals. There was only 353 in DFW alone.

I think content course creates for organizations such as Offensive Security or EC-Council are cash cows in a way. They are very expensive, but will these certifications actually get a Pentest job? Probably not I've tried in the past and they are hard to get into. Not many. Plenty of jobs on the blue side.

But also start a Cybersecurity company is another thing though, so again depends on your view point Robert Herjavc runs a Cybersecurity which to me was interesting.
I am looking on LinkedIn and could be wrong here. On LinkedIn, there's plenty of Cybersecurity jobs. Looking at the postings about 4,000 plus. Most require 5+ year's. Just making an observation on what I said.

So there's plenty of opportunity still. The source I was looking at was Indeed.com not, LinkedIn.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...