What's new

Help getting into my customer's frame of mind

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Jon L

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Joined
Aug 22, 2015
Messages
1,649
Location
Bellevue, WA
Rep Bank
$2,710
User Power: 274%
I'm struggling a bit trying to figure out how to market my services better. Briefly, I provide two services:

1) Custom line-of-business software for small to medium businesses. Examples:
* system that automates project mgt reports and customer invoices for an oil and gas contractor
* system that manages the rental portion of an ag-industry irrigation company
2) Automating financial reporting from a bunch of different data sources. Examples:
*an IT services company has about 8 different databases that perform various functions for their clients. They want to know the costs associated with each system per-customer compared to revenue per customer. They also want to know how much employee time (and cost) is spent on each customer

I'm working hard to get out of the self-centered approach to marketing (Everyone out there thinks like I do and has the same needs as I think they should have), but being a technical person, this is hard.

The clients that I do have already knew what they wanted. They were just looking for someone that could help them do it. "I'm looking for an MS Access developer that can..." Most people, though, don't seem to be like that. Lets pick my Business Intelligence reporting client...They were frustrated that they couldn't easily gather all the information they need to run their business automatically. I met them by asking what was involved in becoming a partner. We met, I showed them a couple examples of what I do, and the CEO said, 'hey, we have this report that we need automated, can you help?'

There's another thread on here today that talks about finding your customers on Twitter by offering 1-sentence fixes to the problems they post. My problem is that I don't really know what they would be talking about. I did look up "[HASHTAG]#pivottables[/HASHTAG]" and congratulated a few people that said that they learned how to use them. One of them favorited my tweet and said, 'thank you.' I'll try to continue that conversation. (people that use PivotTables are probably a prime candidate for my service ... pivot tables need a data source, and Excel is not that great at aggregating a whole bunch of data sources and prepping the data so that it can be viewed in a pivot table)

This leads me to an underlying assumption that I make when I read things like what MJ did in his limo business - he became the best out there by knowing his customers and responding to what they wanted. I still feel (at 41) like I'm the awkward teenager that doesn't know how to be well-liked by people (which I feel is necessary in order to build a business that is well liked).

I know this is a bit of TMI, but these underlying assumptions about myself are keeping me from forgetting about myself, focusing on my clients or potential customers and what they need. It also stops me in my tracks when I hit a roadblock - when no one responds to a blog post I wrote, I think, 'well, they must not like me.' (crazy, I know, but its where I'm at currently)

I'd love your input.

Thanks
--Jon
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Ul, tu vjot ot opvisitvoph. Vjev Qowuv Vecmi dupwistevoup up Vxovvis. O sitqupfif vu vji haz O dunqmonipvif, epf ji sivxiivif nz sitqupti. nezci vjot otp'v tu jesf? (epf ovt ecuav e qsivvz pisfz tackidv)

vji sivxiiv:
@PeowiEphim101 O'n dupwopdif vjev catopitt op vji AT xuamf xusl civvis og iwiszupi lpix jux vu sap vjios dunqepz xovj qowuv siqusvt
 
Jo Kup,

Zua jewi ep opvisitvoph catopitt huoph up, vjisi ot tu nadj feve vjiti fezt epf ov't tu sodj ug opgusnevoup cav upmz gix qiuqmi lpux jux vu epemzbi ov op vji sohjv neppis!

Hsiev vu tii zua'si eqqmzoph vji Vxovvis dupdiqv, juqi ov xuslt gus zua et ximm! Nezci zua dep vsz csuefip zuas tiesdj, Vxovvis't tiesdj iphopi xuslt wisz ximm puxefezt epf zua duamf vsz tiesdjoph gus 'qowuv vecmi' us 'qowuv vecmit' xovjuav vji jetjveht. Emtu zua duamf vsz tiesdjoph gus vji qsucmin moli 'hsuaqoph feve' us 'feve epemztot'.

Jux nadj iggusv fuit ov veli zua vu dsievi e siqusv gus e pix dunqepz? Nezci zua duamf uggis vjin e gsii gostv siqusv tu vjiz dep tii vji quxis ug zuas siqusv neloph vuum. Zua dep nezci tjux vjin vjiz dep edvaemmz tewi nupiz cz josoph zua!
 
Jo Kup,

Zua jewi ep opvisitvoph catopitt huoph up, vjisi ot tu nadj feve vjiti fezt epf ov't tu sodj ug opgusnevoup cav upmz gix qiuqmi lpux jux vu epemzbi ov op vji sohjv neppis!

Hsiev vu tii zua'si eqqmzoph vji Vxovvis dupdiqv, juqi ov xuslt gus zua et ximm! Nezci zua dep vsz csuefip zuas tiesdj, Vxovvis't tiesdj iphopi xuslt wisz ximm puxefezt epf zua duamf vsz tiesdjoph gus 'qowuv vecmi' us 'qowuv vecmit' xovjuav vji jetjveht. Emtu zua duamf vsz tiesdjoph gus vji qsucmin moli 'hsuaqoph feve' us 'feve epemztot'.

Jux nadj iggusv fuit ov veli zua vu dsievi e siqusv gus e pix dunqepz? Nezci zua duamf uggis vjin e gsii gostv siqusv tu vjiz dep tii vji quxis ug zuas siqusv neloph vuum. Zua dep nezci tjux vjin vjiz dep edvaemmz tewi nupiz cz josoph zua!

Vjeplt, Twip. Ovt e muv ug xusl vu dsievi e gamm-gievasif siqusv, cav ovt qsivvz tvseohjvgusxesf vu qsufadi e tonqmi siqusv up e tonqmi tiv ug feve. O'wi ciip vszoph vu gohasi uav xjev vu efwisvoti up Huuhmi Efxusft gus ... Gsii qowuv vecmi siqusv tivaq nohjv evvsedv tuni catopitt. Updi qiuqmi tii vji quxis ug ov, epf jux ietz ov ot vu nepoqamevi vjios feve, e geos pancis ug vjin xuamf xepv vu josi ni.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom