The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello to everyone....

sam502w

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 2, 2017
Iowa
I just completed reading TMF on Saturday. Spent some time in the forums the last few days and joined the INSIDERS group today. I have a feeling I'm older than most in here (62). Looking to retire from my day job and want to join the fast lane for retirement. I don't hate my job, I make good money but want to get off the airplane (I travel a lot in my work).

I went online for my first venture trying to build a website in 2007 or 2008. I had three failures and on the fourth try I hit it pretty well. Within a short time, I was getting over 5000 unique visitors a day and bringing in over $5,000 a month from Adsense. However, I made several bad mistakes. I got greedy with Adsense and paid for links. I got killed with the Penguin penalty and my traffic/revenue fell 90% and has never recovered. Because I was greedy with Adsense, I didn't worry about capturing emails and making my own products to sell to my own list. I still have the website but I can't seem to get back into Google's good graces. A great illustration of why "control" is so important. If you live by Google, you can die by Google.

The site met a key need that was only being met by two other sites. Many more have jumped on board since then, but there are other needs/problems that could be addressed.

In any event, I really need to step back and reconsider which direction I want to go. Do I stay in the niche of the website or do I seek another industry to identify problems and move to solve them?

Looking forward to conversing with many of you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

philiman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 6, 2016
I just completed reading TMF on Saturday. Spent some time in the forums the last few days and joined the INSIDERS group today. I have a feeling I'm older than most in here (62). Looking to retire from my day job and want to join the fast lane for retirement. I don't hate my job, I make good money but want to get off the airplane (I travel a lot in my work).

I went online for my first venture trying to build a website in 2007 or 2008. I had three failures and on the fourth try I hit it pretty well. Within a short time, I was getting over 5000 unique visitors a day and bringing in over $5,000 a month from Adsense. However, I made several bad mistakes. I got greedy with Adsense and paid for links. I got killed with the Penguin penalty and my traffic/revenue fell 90% and has never recovered. Because I was greedy with Adsense, I didn't worry about capturing emails and making my own products to sell to my own list. I still have the website but I can't seem to get back into Google's good graces. A great illustration of why "control" is so important. If you live by Google, you can die by Google.

The site met a key need that was only being met by two other sites. Many more have jumped on board since then, but there are other needs/problems that could be addressed.

In any event, I really need to step back and reconsider which direction I want to go. Do I stay in the niche of the website or do I seek another industry to identify problems and move to solve them?

Hi 502w,

Welcome to the forum, I am pretty new as well. You never described the website or niche. Can you elaborate?

sam502w

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 2, 2017
Iowa
Hi 502w,

Welcome to the forum, I am pretty new as well. You never described the website or niche. Can you elaborate?
I did a website on how to locate inmates in any state or federal prison and many jails. I differentiated myself by reviewing the sites and pulling out the most needed info that they would be looking for. (I have worked in and around corrections for 18 years). There were only 2 major competitors in 2009, now there are many more. But there is a lot more that could be done to publish info for families. There are 2.2 million people in custody.....so the market is there, reaching them is a bit difficult but not insurmountable.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
I just completed reading TMF on Saturday.
Welcome. With age comes great perspective and experience. If 4-6 years can get you the MFL, then 62 is not too late to start, especially if you have good health. Great you've built something once, means I am sure you can do it again - MJ's process for evaluating the scalability of businesses is great. And real life victims of control just help reinforce the message here for others (amazed how many non-FL things popup in here).

Enjoy! We're both in the "second half" of the journey, I am relying on good health and advancing medicine to ensure I easily have time to achieve MFL and still be able to enjoy it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...