The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello! Sam Russell - heavy metal guitarist

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Hey everyone,

first off - thanks for making the forums and writing the books MJ.

I read Fastlane a few years ago (I think it is time for a re-read).

I'm a musician, and more specifically, an electric guitarist playing heavy metal and classical crossover.

I've released a heavy metal album. It was made using session musicians. I made some pretty bad decisions when making it, and have a tonne of debt from it.

On the plus side, I own 100% of the rights to everything on the album, it was done professionally, and it has had reviews that are better than major label releases.

Business wise, I'm trying to figure out how to sell my album online. I've taken courses by nearly every "music business marketer" online... and I don't think they have any idea what they are talking about. Strangely... when I ask them if any of them can tell me the net income they or any of their students make from music (not selling "how to sell music" courses), none of them have a straight answer.

I'm not looking to make a million dollars tomorrow, but if I can make $3000/mo profit from it, I can travel around the world, write music, and I'll be profitable enough to justify self funding future releases with a bank loan, if I can't raise the money upfront from existing customers... which would be awesome. I have an MP3 download available for £5 - £7 depending on the offer, which means that my goal income level requires 423 - 600 sales/mo

Market wise, heavy metal fans still spend a lot of money on music and the culture in general.

What I'm working on at the moment:
1. Building a blog related to heavy metal music and lifestyle. Build a mailing list and use it as an online magazine to advertise my album. Also keeps my mailing list engaged.
2. Building a profitable sales funnel using facebook ads. I've made a few sales doing this, but haven't broken even. This week I'm changing the funnel to:
FB ad > opt in page > offer > emails for blog

Why I'm here
I'm here so I can learn from people building real businesses, rather than people whose business is to teach people how to build a business.

Scalabilty
In terms of how I can scale, I think I have this sorted. Before I released the record, I assumed I wouldn't need to market it (... yeah). So I figured out how to ship 1000 physical units a month, found a supplier and a distributor.

Thanks for reading - I'm probably going to keep a low profile while I read up on old posts for a few months.

My work ethic is pretty solid.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

njord

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Can you tell us what your band is called?

If you want to travel the world why dont you fomulate a band and just go touring?
I have no experince but i know if done right it should pay for it self, you get tons of new fans and exposure what will lead to extra sales.

PS im a metal fan i would love to hear your work:devil:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Can you tell us what your band is called?

If you want to travel the world why dont you fomulate a band and just go touring?
I have no experince but i know if done right it should pay for it self, you get tons of new fans and exposure what will lead to extra sales.

PS im a metal fan i would love to hear your work:devil:
thanks for the reply!

The music was released under my own name, "Sam Russell". You can check out a couple of songs on YouTube here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPUwRvcTCY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf5t91KDuMA

That would be cool, but doing it right and making the numbers fall out would be pretty hard. The music needs 5 people, including myself, to perform, and those players need to be at a pretty high level - people that can play at that level don't want to work for free.

I've contact booking agents and management companies and they want bands that have exposure - either social media followings, shows, or bands doing a lot of live shows.

And as a lifestyle, I'm not sure I want to play a different city every night.

The ideal for me, would be to
  1. Make a lot of sales online.
  2. Live in a different city every 2-3 months.
  3. Play at metal festivals in the summer
If I can get IM figured out, I can scale record sales pretty reliably, and getting festival shows will be pretty easy.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...