The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from TX!

MA81

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Jan 22, 2013
Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew, I'm 21 and currently living in Round Rock, TX (about 20 minutes north of Austin).

I'm currently finishing my last two classes before applying to a local nursing program. Before reading TMF my main goal was to become an RN, spend $50k-70k for nurse anesthetist school, spend 3 more years learning in school, and hopefully save enough to finally make my dream purchase of a ZR1 when I was in my forties or fifties.

After reading TMF , it felt like MJ had shown me what I was longing for and missing. I had spent hours talking with my dad about the best way to reach financial security and the aforementioned path was what he had recommended (go to school, get a good job, work for about 40 years). I knew this wasn't the path to be able to enjoy my money and life at a young age and I saw the error in this "Slowlane" plot to wealth.

I was brought here by a recommendation on a sneaker forum that mentioned the book, which then lead me to the forum.

My goal is to have a net worth of $180 M (passively to be able to me $12 M a year) to be able to afford my dream of being a professional racing driver/gentlemen driver in some racing series like the ALMS and the Grand-AM Rolex series.

My plan so far is to get a job as a nurse in the medical industry and become immersed in the market to identify problems and needs the industry is facing. Electronic Medical Records (EMR) is looking to increase in growth in the coming years and being able to improve upon these or develop a service to help install or incorporate them in physicians personal tablets may be an option to help an older generation of doctors.

Anyways I'm still looking for opportunities that I could act upon with my limited, yet growing skill set.

Thanks to everyone for the knowledge I've picked up so far and I look forward to trying to add any helpful inputs that I can to other members here.

-Andrew

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
The only Nurse anesthetist I know is named Andrew.. Weird.

Good luck in whatever you decide.. but I think a lot of people learn their niche from the inside. So do what you got to do, but look out for the thing that can change everything..

MA81

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Jan 22, 2013
The only Nurse anesthetist I know is named Andrew.. Weird.

Good luck in whatever you decide.. but I think a lot of people learn their niche from the inside. So do what you got to do, but look out for the thing that can change everything..

Did he use his CRNA experience and knowledge to develop and grow his own business or is that just his job?

I guess what MJ said about taking on more school to increase your earning potential to employers versus getting a degree to further your knowledge for yourself to solve problems is one that needs to be evaluated in your own situation.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro -- the fact you are willing to take a job to expand your awareness of potential needs within a particular industry shows you have a healthy respect for process.

Welcome aboard. :)

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Welcome, Andrew.

A big issue is the nursing shortage. Position yourself as part of a solution for that, and you've got a winner.

This is the kind of problem that doesn't gain wide attention til it's already upon us. It's all just a demographic bulge moving with time, but somehow it's considered a sudden surprise.

After WW2, universities found themselves needing to react quickly when enrollment skyrocketed, as millions of vets attended under the GI Bill.

Then it was a "surprise" to hospitals that vets+marriage= thousands and thousands of babies being born (the baby boomers).

Five years later the next "surprise" was that more schools and classrooms were needed as baby boomers approached school age.

In the medical realm, it will be a two-sided "surprise"... that baby boomers will be needing more medical care, while at the same time baby boomer nurses will be retiring.

In the flat world of today, maybe being part of this solution could mean living abroad, learning a language, and becoming part of the nursing supply chain. I dunno. The problem/opportunity is out there waiting to be solved somehow someway. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MA81

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Jan 22, 2013
In the flat world of today, maybe being part of this solution could mean living abroad, learning a language, and becoming part of the nursing supply chain. I dunno. The problem/opportunity is out there waiting to be solved somehow someway. :)

You mean going over to say the Philippines, for example, learning the language/culture and kind of recruiting nurses at a cheaper cost to fill the void that will be left when the baby boomer nurses retire?

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Yes indeed, if that would turn out to be an effective way to become a staffing service with a supply of nurses qualified for licensure stateside.

If you approach nursing from the inside like you are doing in your studies, and with an eye for the big picture issues as you are also doing, surely you will find some interesting opportunities somewhere. Exciting times! Best of luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...