The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from NY!

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, just found it by chance. I'm a junior in high school and hope to go to a business school post high school, and then maybe an MBA. I'm looking at schools such as MIT's Sloan, Penn's Wharton, NYU Stern, among a few others. In the past school years I've taken Business Management, Career Management, Intro to Business, and am now taking College Accounting, and College Business Law. Over the summer I'll be going to an economics and leadership program, and will probably be taking financial management next year. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Welcome to the Fastlane!

I'm in a very similar boat to you. I'm also a junior in HS, and I'll be headed to college (hopefully) somewhere in two years. Although I'm not looking into as prestigous universities as you are, I'll still be headed somewhere pretty good. Nice to know I'm not the only one...

Once again, welcome. You won't regret joining here.

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yankees I see you're from NJ, I know a few people from NJ, North Hunderton(spelling). Where do you want to go to school?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I don't think I know where North Hunterton is, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of it. I'm from Essex County (where the city of Newark is located, pretty close to NYC).

I don't really care about the whole college thing too much. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to school, but I'm naturally gifted enough to still do pretty decently. The only school I've really visited so far was the University of Maryland. I've been to the University of Michigan, too, because my brother goes there (School of Engineering, though, not Business). I'd love to go to UMich, but I don't think my grades will permit me to do so. I slacked off a lot throughout my first two years. I like Wisconsin a lot because they have a great Real Estate school, so that's definitely going to get some consideration. I also like Penn State. Those are probably the main ones I'm considering right now, but there are still a few variables in my decisions. I don't know what my GPA is gonna end up looking like; I may want to go somewhere where I can play baseball; I don't know how my SAT scores will turn out.

Regardless, I'm not worried. I'm just thankful that my dad is willing to pay for my college education. That will give me an advantage in pursuing what I really want to do: start my own business and invest in real estate.

How about you?

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Welcome to the boards. I'm also a junior in high school from NY. What part are you from?

Yeah, I'm not counting on getting into a prestigious school either since I don't really put an effort into my high school classes, except business ownership class. St. Rose in Albany has an entrepreneur program and so does Johnson and Wales in Providence, RI. I was going to check both of those colleges out because they're easy to get into and they're pretty nice campuses.

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
I'm from Nassau County on Long Island. I'm trying for those schools, but there's no guarantee. This year is getting crazy, I have so much stuff going on. I'm playing hockey for a team sponsored by tour, and my schedule is insane. Everyday goes like this: AP US History, AP English, AP Bio(double period on day, gym on the other): Lunch: College Accounting: College Business Law: Calc Honors: Fine Arts Honors: and finally Science Research which is an independent study class. You design/perform an experiment and do a whole boring project on it. Hopefully it'll help get into the college I want.

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
Oh and I play Varsity Volleyball, Varsity Golf, and some clubs. It's getting to the point where I don't want to have to work this hard, but then I think about where I want to get, and what I want to do in life. That's what's keeping me motivated.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Yeah I'm in a similar boat as you but not as many AP classes. This year has been pretty tough because I really just want it to be senior year so I'm closer to graduation. I love the partyin and the friends and all of that fantastic stuff, but at the end of the day I really just want to grow up and be an adult in college, living on my own with my own schedule while I become an entrepreneur.

It's really difficult trying to launch this web site that I've been trying to launch for sometime now with the schedule that I have. I basically only have the weekends and if I'm not hanging out with friends I'm just chillin on my couch. I'm probably going to play it low key these weekends coming up so I can finish this web site.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Yeah...I had a pretty hectic schedule last year. I've never really loaded up on the honors/AP classes that much, but I tried it last year. I realized that it wasn't for me; I just can't force myself to work at something I'm not interested in when I don't really have a motivation for it. My school's extremely competitive, too. This year, I'm just doing most of my work in standard classes and easily breezing by with just about all As. AP Economics is my only tough class, but it's interesting, so I don't really care all that much. The only problem is that it's 1st period, so I'm usually asleep.

It's nice to have a little HS clique on the forums here...I remember the days when I was the only one on the forums who couldn't drive! :smx1:

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
Yeah, when I signed up for the forum I was expecting to be the only member at my age, but it's great to see that didn't hold true. I can see you've racked up quite a post count since July of this year, nearly 700. I cannot deal with the accounting class I'm taking, not due to difficulty, but the people in the class make me not want to go. I have a bunch of seniors in my class, many of which are very immature, who probably will never succeed in life at almost anything. I understand that they want to leave, and don't want to go to class anymore, but that's not my fault. It's the only class that I don't want to go to. And the worst part is, it gets even tougher next year.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
My business ownership class this year had alot weird and annoying kids. My guidance counselor is the man and he's keeping me in the same class but a period later.

My biggest beef of high school are the freshies. My school is grade 9-12 and alot of these kids look like their ten and they act like it too. Trying to fit in, smoking cigarettes because they're "cool," etc. I have a jammed schedule right now, but senior year, which hopefully isn't too far away, I'll only have to take 3 classes plus phys ed every other day. :hurray:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Yeah, when I signed up for the forum I was expecting to be the only member at my age, but it's great to see that didn't hold true. I can see you've racked up quite a post count since July of this year, nearly 700. I cannot deal with the accounting class I'm taking, not due to difficulty, but the people in the class make me not want to go. I have a bunch of seniors in my class, many of which are very immature, who probably will never succeed in life at almost anything. I understand that they want to leave, and don't want to go to class anymore, but that's not my fault. It's the only class that I don't want to go to. And the worst part is, it gets even tougher next year.
I definitely understand that feeling. I have a good amount of seniors in several of my classes. All they really do is complain about having to do work. I don't care in most of the classes because I don't wanna do work either, but there are times when they really just need to suck it up, lol. And yes, when you're on this site as much as I am every day for about 6 months, you tend to rack up a good deal of posts. It's really been great, though. It keeps me focused on having the right mindset and my ultimate goals in life, and it obviously provides a ton of information about all these different realms of the business world.

However, among all the good that has come out of being an active member here, there are still two downsides to it:
1) I've come to realize that I don't necessarily need to dominate in school. I have gained the confidence that I'll be successful in whatever I try, as long as I learn to do it the right way. Of course, part of the lessons learned here are about how to be a successful person in life, not just business, so what I've learned has definitely rubbed off and helped me in school as well.
2) I'm so excited about reading everything on here that I spend too much time reading, and not enough time doing. I'd love to get started now, but I hate hearing my dad bitch about how I won't have enough time to balance running a business with schoolwork. As much as I'd love to prove him wrong, I think I'm better off not biting the hand that feeds me...I'll save that for when I'm out of the house, I guess.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
My business ownership class this year had alot weird and annoying kids. My guidance counselor is the man and he's keeping me in the same class but a period later.

My biggest beef of high school are the freshies. My school is grade 9-12 and alot of these kids look like their ten and they act like it too. Trying to fit in, smoking cigarettes because they're "cool," etc. I have a jammed schedule right now, but senior year, which hopefully isn't too far away, I'll only have to take 3 classes plus phys ed every other day. :hurray:
Haha, my brother is a freshman at my school, but I don't mind it because I have a pretty good relationship with most of his friends. It's cool seeing them in the halls. I remember being a freshman, though. It's definitely different; drugs are available everywhere you go (for effect: :smx1:), and everybody is so much bigger than you. Of course, it's also cool being an upperclassman. :hurray: There really aren't too many people who smoke cigarettes in my school actually. I like that a lot, though. I like the "other stuff" better anyway. I guess I should watch what I say here...

My biggest beef in HS, though, has been the attitude that everybody seems to have. My school is extremely competitive, and I believe we're among the top 10 public schools (academically) in the state of NJ. Because of this, everybody is obsessed with grades. Kids take "GPA boosters" like crazy not because they like the class, but because "it looks good for colleges". I hate that. But I guess that's just the society we live in...

Cakey!

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 14, 2008
Also a native New Yorker, Brooklyn bred, born and raised!

Hello everyone!:icon_super:

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I like Wisconsin a lot because they have a great Real Estate school, so that's definitely going to get some consideration.

I spent 4 glorious years at Wisconsin. One of the best schools in the country for the work hard / play hard group.

Ahh, memories...

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
I barely remember what it was like as a freshman in high school, but it seems that the kids are getting smaller and smaller as each year passes. I know most would say, well you're growing too, but I do remember how tall most people were in 8th/9th grade, and they're shorter on average than we were.

Cakey welcome to a great(from the little I've read) forum! I'm enjoying it so far, and think you will as well.

Yankees, you're from NJ but you're a Yankee fan? Hows that work out?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I barely remember what it was like as a freshman in high school, but it seems that the kids are getting smaller and smaller as each year passes. I know most would say, well you're growing too, but I do remember how tall most people were in 8th/9th grade, and they're shorter on average than we were.

Cakey welcome to a great(from the little I've read) forum! I'm enjoying it so far, and think you will as well.

Yankees, you're from NJ but you're a Yankee fan? Hows that work out?
I'm from North Jersey. We're all split between the Yanks and Mets up here. My dad was born and raised in The Bronx so that's how I've become an addict (I'm more than just a fan :)). My grandparents actually still live in The Bronx...

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I attend the largest high school located between NYC and Canada so we're really crowded. Not so competitive, just about 3,500 kids scrambling through the halls lol. Unfortunately out of those 3,500 kids, there are all walks of life which have exposed me to alot of things - some which I don't really care for like cigarette smoking.

Poughkeepsie, NY (an hour and a half north of NYC) is pretty Yankee dominated but we have the occasional mets fan. But NO Boston fans haha

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I attend the largest high school located between NYC and Canada so we're really crowded. Not so competitive, just about 3,500 kids scrambling through the halls lol. Unfortunately out of those 3,500 kids, there are all walks of life which have exposed me to alot of things - some which I don't really care for like cigarette smoking.

Poughkeepsie, NY (an hour and a half north of NYC) is pretty Yankee dominated but we have the occasional mets fan. But NO Boston fans haha
Haha...that's how it should be!!

Our school is getting expanded now because it is so crowded. We only have about 1,700 kids, but I guess the school just isn't big enough. We have a very nice campus, though, and there's plenty of room outside.

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
My high school has about 900-1,000 students over four grades.

It's split about 50:50, as far as Mets to Yankees fans. And most around here either like the Mets, Jets, and Islanders or Yankees, Giants, and Rangers. I happen to be in the first group, though I only follow hockey. Its become a part of my life, I play on a few teams.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...