The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello! Business owner looking to change roads

Dbodin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Jan 25, 2017
Norman, OK
hi, I have been shooting video as a sole proprieter for far too long (15 yrs). I started with weddings, then brokered shoots, and corporate engagements. Unfortunately my plan breaks several commandments (time and scale for sure). Magnatude isnt too bad, as my margins are high, about 45%. Need is pretty low, especially as Entry becomes easier with lower prices electronics eg cameras. I just discovered the MFL book and am already 2/3rds of the way through it. Wonderful paradigm shifting material! It came at just the right time, because I have been looking for a book that details the formula for a super profitable business model. I am also already 38, so i feel behind! I have built a business and seen it grow, but the money made overall is low due to low volume and the fact I must be present to get that income. I have supplemented that income with two website rental clients. So now for the real question: I am considering buying a house, as I currently rent ($850/mo). I have $80k saved, and houses in Oklahoma are cheap, my price range is $150-$175k...but the book says if I invest in a world bond I could get 6.5% return on that lump sum which equates to over $430/mo. I looked at some funds but they are all underperforming that 6.5% by a lot over the last five years. Where are these safe 6.5% returns? I have very little knowledge currently, but have a brokers account and have bought and sold securities before. Im wondering what you all think is the wisest plan w the money. being 38 my main reason for buying a home is the inabaility to find a good roommate and I would hate to spend that extra dough without equity. Thoughts? I have always been a good saver...but never had a mentor who really knew what to do with it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Good intro, welcome!

Maybe decide what to do about your business before you decide where to sink all that 80k? You'll run into differing opinions about home ownership around here. Ultimately, your decision, and nobody can make it better than you can.

38 isn't behind anything.

lifeNchoices

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Nov 13, 2016
Welcome I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 35 with a business that does well, but requires my time. Read through the treads, look at the ideas get inspired then start to execute. Its what I'm doing and it turned into a larger pool of slow lane money that I can use to fund my fast lane business.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Welcome to the forum!

Im wondering what you all think is the wisest plan w the money.

On the INSIDERS there's a thread regarding stock options. If you learn about the strategies and of course are willing to manage your own portfolio, you could *potentially* make some outstanding returns. Definitely something worth learning about IMO.

Another thing could be to purchase a multifamily, live in one unit and rent out the rest. Living for free in your own building is a nice feeling - the house we owned before this one was a 3 family and the other two apartments actually gave us a net profit every month while we lived there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but the book says if I invest in a world bond I could get 6.5% return on that lump sum which equates to over $430/mo.

You realise I wrote TMF almost 6 years ago? And economic conditions have changed?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...